Unlimited Data Package
LLS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't understand why if I want to upgrade my Droid to a newer version Droid I will loose my Unlimited Data Package?  Verizon told me this was a Grandfather Clause and that benefit stays with the phone number for as long as you have it.  Yesterday when I was at Verizon they told me once I get a new phone I will be required to pick a new data plan and I will loose my Unlimited Data Plan.  This does not seem fair.  She said it is something that is just being advertised and starts the end of June Smiley Sad  Not really happy about that!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited Data Package
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

you can keep your unlimited plan for another 2 years(at least) if you upgrade before the 28th.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

you can keep your unlimited plan for another 2 years(at least) if you upgrade before the 28th.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

LLS wrote:

I don't understand why if I want to upgrade my Droid to a newer version Droid I will loose my Unlimited Data Package?  Verizon told me this was a Grandfather Clause and that benefit stays with the phone number for as long as you have it.  Yesterday when I was at Verizon they told me once I get a new phone I will be required to pick a new data plan and I will loose my Unlimited Data Plan.  This does not seem fair.  She said it is something that is just being advertised and starts the end of June Smiley Sad  Not really happy about that!

They never said they'd let anyone keep unlimited data forever.  It was always "at this time" which means they reserve the right to change it whenever.

wkavan02
Contributor - Level 1

Also, the "Grandfather Clause" was NEVER written into our contracts, if I recall correctly. If it was, there would not have been all kinds of confusion about grandfathering for unlimited plans when Verizon fully unveiled the tiered data plans last year. It was a non-binding policy that Verizon had the right to change at any moment for whatever reason.

0 Likes
Really___
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, but every other provider offers unlimited data...Verizon is supposed to be #1 service provider...so why do they not offer it anymore. I recently read a response from them that said that 90% of users use less than 2G's per month. Therefore, they did not need the unlimited data. If this is true, (which I highly doubt) then why not offer the unlimited plant to the other 10% of the population.

PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Every other provider?  Sprint is the only 1 of the big 4 that actually offers true unlimited and even then I suppose that's a stretch. 

0 Likes
Really___
Enthusiast - Level 2

Pretty much sounds like a scam to me...Here we will offer you this and tell you you can keep the same contract as long as you have the same number. Oh wait...by the way...we lied. We can change our minds whenever we want. Nice. Real Nice.  Verizion is the only provider I know that doesn't offer unlimited data plans. Without it there are all kinds of charges and fees... I don't see how they can be the number one service provider, but not offer their customers competitive options? Oh yeah...they have more towers than anyone else...my bad. They don't have to be customer service oriented. They are big enough to bully now.

wkavan02
Contributor - Level 1

Being able to change the terms of a contract at any time, so long as it's written into said contract, is actually very commonplace in the digital age. You know who does it a lot? Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

But...since the Grandfather Clause was never truly a clause, Verizon was kind enough to honor it, despite no legal obligation to do so. It would be like if you hired a landscaping company to mow your lawn once a week and you had them under contract to provide that service for a year at a certain price. When the contract ran up, the nice guy owner of the company continued to offer that price to you, even though his rates had gone up since you originally signed the contract, but one day, he decided that he could no longer offer you the old price, and asked that you pay the current fee levied against all his other customers. He had no legal obligation to continue offering you that lower price, but he did for a time, even though he eventually switched you to the current, albeit higher, rate.

0 Likes
Brooklynee

<Duplicate post. The original content can be viewed in >

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Sythrix
Contributor - Level 1

Why is everyone so keen on bashing on Verizon? Or any other corporation for that matter? Their goal is to make money, they provide a service, people decide if they want to pay for it or not. They are not out to personally screw you. Don't forget about all the services you get and people they have to pay to bring it to you, not to mention the upkeep on the network itself. I don't know about you, but whenever I talk to a Verizon rep on the phone, or chat, I can understand them perfectly. It costs more money to keep those jobs in America, and not god knows where outside the States.

Unlimited data looked good on paper, they offered it, and a few people started rapidly abusing this policy. It's well known that there is a data limit on networks, if too many people are doing too much, it will slow down, or even quit working entirely. They gave us unlimited data, and the response was a lack of courtesy from a select few. I'm all for watching movies and whatnot, but if you download an obscene amount of crap every day without regard to anyone else, you bring it upon yourself.

So to answer the original question. Unlimited is being phased out. They will entirely eradicate it eventually. It was cool to have it, but society has once again shown us why there are limits on things. Upgrade before June 28th and you will have no issues. Or save up your money and buy a phone for the full retail price down the road and you will get to keep it then as well.