Galaxy Nexus dropping calls/connection, no customer service!
siegan

Im having an issue.  In fact this is ongoing since i got my galaxy nexus in december.  Bear with me, i am on my 4th replacement...  Wall of text warning!  This may be lengthy and is intended for any CSR that may be reading.

We'll start with release time.  I had a droid charge and wanted something that would work better around the house (bad signal compared to my wife's incredible 2 and mother's Droid 2 Global) so i called in and spoke with a phone agent.  He said, three phones are coming out, Razr, Nexus, and Rezound.  Knowing that my wife has great signal with her Incredible 2, i went for the Rezound.  It was ordered on Friday morning and was supposed to be here saturday ( paid extra for saturday delivery ) however it did not show.  I called in and spoke with a lady who said "sir, you didnt order the rezound you ordered the RAZR."  I asked her to immediately intercept the package as i did not want the RAZR due to the un-removable battery.  She suggested i reject the shipment and let it go back to verizon, then have them reship the correct device.  I did, and about two weeks later i have a rezound.  I used the device for a week or so but noticed my call quality was not very good.  I went to the verizon corporate store for help, and the lady said i was in my 14 day period and could switch out for the Galaxy Nexus, which she proceeded to call the "best phone verizon has ever released." 

I had my Galaxy nexus for about two weeks or so and noticed that i was dropping ALOT of calls... when i say ALOT, i mean just about all of them.  No error, no "call lost" just the call would disappear and phone returned to the home screen.  I took the phone back in, and the customer service lady did not even attempt to fix it, she just swapped it out for another new galaxy nexus ( i still had the packaging ).  This device worked ok for a few months, no real dropped calls but the signal was horrible at home and work (two most important places).  I was told that the galaxy nexus does not have a strong radio and it would be updated "soon."  The call dropping issue started on this device as well, and then The device then stopped charging.  I went to the verizon store and they once again replaced it with a refurb.   This one was the first one to say it was from Korea instead of China so im not sure if that matters.  Also all replacements from here on out will not fit flush with my extended battery and back cover.  The cover plate is out further than the camera and leaves a gap into the battery area which is another worry.  This refurb would not charge out of the box when the phone was on.  I could charge it by turning the phone off, plugging the charger in and letting it sit for around 12 hours. The phone was actually sending charge back through the charger cable and would even light up my car charger without it being plugged in.  I called this one in and was sent another replacement which i activated yesterday.  This device is the worst of them all... it has the call drop issue but on top of that it is losing connection all together.  The call will sit at "calling" for about 20 seconds then "call lost" and the signal bar turns to gray then disappears leaving only a small white "X."  After each call, i have attempted to use ### send, however i always get "no mobile connection" errors and then if i wait until i finally get signal again, i get "call cannot be completed" and my signal goes out again.  ---continued

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus dropping calls/connection, no customer service!
siegan

(continued from post 1)  I called and spoke with a tier 2 tech support agent who worked with me for about an hour and finally decided that after all the issues i was having with the nexus and with my mother having the Maxx with no issues, he would ask his supervisor if they could authorize a replacement to the maxx for me.  He came back off hold with the good news that it was approved, and said he needed to get with the sup for an override and he would be right back.  While on hold my battery on that phone died so i put it on the charger and waited for a call back, but it never happened.  I then called in and spoke with another agent.  She was very rude and just straight up told me that they do not replace nexus with maxx because it's an "upgrade."  She then proceeded to patronize me for a good ten minutes saying that my nexus is on the same line as the thunderbolt and she may be able to get me into a "Razr" but not the razr maxx.  She said it was because of the retail pricing.  I explained to her that both the maxx and nexus were $649, and she straight said she was not going to do it and not going to ask her supervisor about it.  She offered a stratosphere and a thunderbolt... I asked her to get me the agent i was on the phone with and she was completely unwilling to help.  I asked to speak with her supervisor and she frankly told me that she was not getting her sup for me but she would transfer me to an escalation queue, which was also of no help. 

0 Likes
siegan

I took the phone to the corporate store to show the agents (as they previously acted as if i  were making this up) and they agreed that it's an issue that cannot be fixed without sending the phone off. The store agents were friendly but not very helpful, saying i have to "call in to customer service" to get anything done.  So once again i call customer service.  I talked with a gentleman in tech support escalation who offered to open a ticket for me, but said that if it's the device it would not help.  He started reading me the previous rep's notes, and the previous rep had noted that i was not to get a Razr Maxx because i have had "too many devices" and quoted that i had went from razr to rezound to nexus, then had 4 replacement nexus' sent out.  Now like i explained in a very detailed fashion above, i did not request any replacement but accepted as no one was ever willing to try to fix my issues.

0 Likes
siegan

I know for a fact that people are getting the maxx as replacement for the nexus for the exact same reasons, and some people even less documented than myself.

I am not asking alot of verizon, just to follow through with me as they have with others to put me into a device that will work as advertised in regards to signal and callling ability.  The RAZR wont work because i either need a removeable battery or a battery that will last me all day.  I also ask that you review your call with the agent i mentioned above and review the call notes as they do not reflect anything that was discussed.  I had to hear it from the Tech escalation guy (great guy, retired Air Force Vet) and that's just poor customer service.

Other facts:

In same spot in house, using both galaxy nexus and razr maxx, i continuously get 3-4 bars of 4g with the maxx but only 2 bars of 3g with the nexus.  Speed test on the 4g network downtown in my home town, Gnex 3.1 meg down 1 meg up, Razr Maxx 13.7 meg down 4.4 meg up. (using charter cable's speed test for neutrality).   I cannot scientifically do any of these tests but i can tell you that if i were to walk downstairs at my home with the gnex, im losing the call or data connection.  If i do so wht the maxx, i never lose the call or connection.  Please help, big red!  I am at your mercy!

0 Likes
siegan

update: got my 5th nexus today, have to hand it to verizon for sending these things out overnight... that being said this device is not losing data, but the signal strength is still horrid.  i am still having issues calling out where my mother and wife are not having issues (once again, razr maxx and inc 2).  one strange thing is that im showing -112 dBm 28 asu in status, where before it did the update to 4.0.4 it showed -103.  This doesnt seem like a big gap, except with -103 i had 1 bar of 4g outside and with -112 in 4.0.4 im showing three bars.  My mother's razr maxx shows 3 bars at -80dbm.  In fact to get near -100 dbm with the razr maxx i have to go into the basement into a concrete storage room.  I have zero signal at all there, she still has 1 bar of 4g and speed tests over 5 meg there still.

0 Likes
eltorro711033

Verizon is sending me a replacement now. I have gone back and fourth with them over my phone. Today while on the phone with tech support on a return call they set up..... call dropped 3 times. She had to keep calling back. Also, a while back I logged a complaint with the FCC. Well Verizon call me today about that. I missed the call but I am going to call the guy back tomorrow and tell him that if the phone I get on Friday does not fix my issue that I want to be changed over to a droid maxx.

0 Likes
kickflipper1087

Hey guys I've had the nexus for about 5 days now and had the dropped calls and random no signal. I would get 4 full bars of 4g but when I went to use data it would tell me no service at all (changes to no bars and x)! Today I tried turning OFF the NFC feature since I never use it anyway and I haven't dropped signal yet! I think its interfering with cell signal somehow, give it a try guys. I used to see time without signal up to like 30% but now I have 0%! I would still like to explore a replacement since it isn't working like it should but for now I can at least make a phone call lol see if it works for you.

0 Likes
kickflipper1087

To turn off NFC go to Settings>More...> then uncheck NFC. So far I had one signal drop but I think it was because we were on the highway and was switching towers or something. Let me know if it works for you

0 Likes
wimike
Enthusiast - Level 2

I go and buy this Samsung Galaxy Nexus yesterday. Today I try downloading a couple of apps I start to notice no connectivity. Verizon tells me I am suppose to have excellent 4G reception where I live. It goes from no bars and no 4G to a fill 4 bars with 4G in a second, it may hold 4 bards for 5 minutes then it totally drops the connection for a 1/2 a minute then comes back on. I called Verizon and they seemed shock this was happening, they told me this is not a problem. Little did I know I Google it tonight and find many many people have the same problem.  This is really bad for customer service telling me the customer this is the first they have heard of this problem.  I have 4 phones in my family plan and the contract is up in about 2 months for the last phone. I am going to take my Nexus back, get my money back and in 2 months drop Verizon because I feel I was made a fool.

They were telling me it could be an app I downloaded so I uninstalled the 2 small apps I downloaded and that didn't help. I had a HTC for 3 years before this and never had a problem except it is 3G and very old and now considered very slow, but never dropped a signal.

I am really disappointed that Verizon points the finger at Samsung and Samsung says there is nothing wrong with their phone.  So they will both lose, taking the Samsung phone back and then dropping Verizon.

0 Likes
kabull
Contributor - Level 1

The handling of this device and it's issues are unbelievable.  Many of us have been dealing with them since December.  I waited allbeit impatiently for the promised update and a promised end to our problems with this phone.  It made the phone worse.  Going to get my third GNEX CLNR on Friday or Monday.  I swear these phones have way more problems than my original......I wanted to etch on the glass when I sent them back that the phone was defective because I think they do nothing with these phones and send them out to the next sucker.  I was told today that according to my contract the only thing I can get is a GNEX CLNR.  They told me in no uncertain terms would I get a different model.  So I asked for a brand new model and of course they said no.   They are offering nothing else at this time and  that there is another update or patch coming and I will have to wait.  They have made promise after promise that did not materialize.  I have been told conflicting things nearly every time I call.  I have talked to Samsung and they are just as bad.  The thing that frosts me is that they continue to sell this phone.  I just don't get it.  Oh and nearly every customer rep/tech you talk to either has this phone or their best friend has it and it is perfect.  Coincidence????  I have been on the phone with Verizon almost every other week since January and I've heard it all plus some.  Every time you call they act like it's the first time they have ever heard of the problem.  PLEASE!!!  There are articles dated December 21, 2011 that talk about the problems and that Verizon acknowledges them and that a software update is coming.  It took almost six months for the update to come out and it made my phone worse.  OH, the screen orientation is better.  Like I worry about that when my phone doesn't work as a telephone. 

0 Likes