MiFi 4510L Uplink is slow
TMKK

I use "Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L".

Before, I heard "Download/Uplink is 2-5Mbps, All the time, 24/7" from Verizon chat system.

Therefore, I started use of "Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 4510L".

However, the Uplink speed is 0.5Mbps when I measure the speed.

Would someone teach me the solution of this problem?
I want to use Skype(video) to my mother smoothly.

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4510L Uplink is slow
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

A typical good 3G connection is 1-2 mbps for download and 1mbps for upload.  For most people those speeds will allow them to do whatever they need on the internet. 

A typical 4G LTE connection is much better with 10+ mbps for download and 5 mbps on upload.  Your MiFi 4510L is 4G LTE compatible but you must be within range of this network to take advantage of those speeds.

Check the light on the side of your MiFi.  If it is green then you are 4G, if it is purple/pink then you are 3G.  The best way to get your MiFi to perform at the normal level is to run through the various levels of resets.

Level 1 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Let the MiFi sit for 30 seconds
  3. Power on the MiFi
  4. Test the connection

Level 2 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Remove the SIM card
  5. Allow the MiFi to sit for 30 seconds
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test the Connection

Level 3 Reset

1. Power on the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Press and hold the Reset button next to the battery for 10 seconds
  4. Watch the MiFi E-Ink display to see if all the icons are displayed
  5. Release the Reset button
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test your connection
0 Likes
NickThompson

I am in the evaluation period for use of the mifi jetpack from my location, two miles away from a tower, in a rural area, with sightline to the tower partially compromised.  With Jetpack mounted in an upstairs room without an antenna I get two bars ... maybe.   I have been running speed tests off and on all day and the variation is tremendous ... all the way from near-dialup-speeds (.03 Mps) up to 8.00, in an area  that is not supposed to have 4G.   Is there any way this can be stabilized?  I would settle for 0.8.  There is also an ATT antenna on the same tower.  Could they do any better? 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Nick,

Inconsistencies in the signal tend to suggest that there is an issue on the device or the towers.  VZW will have to examine the tower for you but you can try a few things with your device in the mean time. 

I'd recommend the level 2 and 3 resets for your Jetpack.  The steps may be slightly different depending on which JetPack model you have.  Those two resets will help rebuild your connection to the local towers incase they have chosen to connect to the incorrect one in your area.

If you haven't already conducted a site survey you might want to give it a shot to compare different areas around your home.  Normally adding an antenna and amplifier system will improve the natural signal from the towers but they shouldnt be necessary if you are so close to the source.  You might want to look into a cantenna since you have line of sight visibility with your local tower.  This way you can increase the chance that your MiFi is pointing to the correct tower.

Site Survey:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

0 Likes
NickThompson

Mr. Getzke,

I was too chicken to try to remove the sim card .  I, of course, put it in myself, but it seemed like it was in for good.  So I tried the level three reset, and then did 5 quick tests.  At least at this moment, results are encouraging.  6 bests tests ever, except for two wierd ones that I got when I reached the Boston Server  with speeds over 8mbps. 

Thanks for your help. Is there any where an old guy could read up on this technology and understand it better.  Minimum jargon? 

I wish I understood why there should (have been?) so much variability in speeds, all the way from dialup to 4 G speeds in one day, given my situation ...

• 2 miles from tower
  • NEAR sightline.  The Tower is partly blocked by a small hill just 100 yards to the SE
  • In a rural area.  (No other towers around)
  • No other user within an eigth of a mile.

also, given that there is an ATT transmitter on the same tower, does anybody have any reason to think I might do better with ATT?

Thanks again, and my apologies if I have duplicated questions. 

Nick

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Nick,

If you want to learn more about wireless/radio technology you will have to look around the web.  I learned alot from the 3G store link that I posted above about conducting a site survey.  Wikipedia also has general definitions for the different pieces that might interest you.  There are also lots of sites dedicated to amature / ham radio which can be very interesting and a good spot to start. 

In short there is no one good place to answer all your questions.  If you want to know how it works then you are going to have to learn the jargon.  I'd start with your favorite search engine, enter a few keywords that sound interesting and then see what comes up.

Every service provider is going to be different in terms of performance.  ATT may very well be better for you but you wont know for sure unless you can get your hands on a device and test it out.  Sometimes store reps will let you borrow/trial/rent a device for a few days so you can expiriment.  You should always go with the service provider that offers you the best service for your money.

0 Likes
NickThompson

Dear Mr. Getske,

I am returning to the top of the discussion tree to say that your instruction set is very useful and pretty much solved my problem.  I wish I better understood what the heck is going on, but I will settle for having an adequate connection speed.

Since, I was unable to get the simm card out, I did only the first and third suggestions.  The third did the trick, and raised my download  speed tests from averaging below 1 to averaging substantially above it.   Upload speeds are about half that.  These numbers are more or less double what they were before I carried out your instructions. 

So, I guess I will continue with the service.  Thanks for your help.  If anybody writes a book called UNDERSTANDING CELL PHONE TECHNOLOGY FOR DUMMIES"  i hope you will send me the reference.

All the best,

Nick Thompson

0 Likes
dexcaliber

I've only had this device for a few days and I am not impressed...this thing is nothing but a total frustration.

all I get is Connected => Dormant => Connected and then nothing, it shows that it is connected to 4g but can't load anything, this is the worst device I have ever had.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Dex,

Try the resets that I posted above and see if you can resolve your dormancy issues.  It is also a good idea to update your firmware to the latest version since you mention you have a 4G signal.  Anything beyond that and you will have to look into amplifiers and antennas to improve your wireless signal.

Feel free to start your own thread if you would like more specific troubleshooting advice. 

0 Likes