1 2 3 Previous Next 82 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2014 5:27 AM by John Getzke RSS

4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!

aerikg
      Our Verizon devices function in two capacities:
      As an internet access point and as a router; it issues IP addresses accross a simple network so either PC is capable
      of discovering and connecting to the other PC or the printer.
      Our van team relies on the Mifi card to provide network infrastructure and internet access over the course of an entire
      6 to 12-hour shift:

The Mifi 2200 (3G) and the Mifi 4510L (4G LTE) have functioned in this environment with minimal to moderate difficulty.

The Mifi 4620L "Jetpack", now the only device available new from Verizon, cannot be used in this configuration.

The Jetpack can connect all devices, and seems to able to operate for an unspecified amount of time before all connected

devices lose their networking capabilities and internet connection. The windows 7 internet troubleshooter advises "investigate

router or broadband modem issues" during this time.

After the device is powered off and back on there will be an indeterminable amout of time of network functionality.

This is inevitably followed by a loss of functionality after (typically) a few minutes. During this time, the devices show the

"dormant" status message on their integrated display. This dormancy cannot be configured via the internal device webpage.

We have two 4620L "Jetpacks", and they both exhibit the same behavior.

The alternative, at this point, is to purchase the obsolete Mifi cards from an alternate retailer and have the Jetpack service

transferred to them.

Do I have an alternative here? Any advice or suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: 4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!
          John Getzke

Nice picture!

As with the previous version of the MiFi, Dormancy is not a problem, rather it is a status message for the activity state of your MiFi.  The real problem here is that the network connection to VZW is dropping as you try to use the device through the day.  There are a few general tips that can be applied to improve that particular problem.

The best advice we can offer is to try to update the firmware and then try the various levels of resets.  Steps for the MiFi firmware update process can be found on the VZW support website.  For resets I'd suggest starting with a level two and then moving to a level 3 if you continue to have problems.

Level 2 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
          2. Remove the back cover
          3. Remove the battery
          4. Remove the SIM card
          5. Allow the MiFi to sit for 30 seconds
          6. Reassemble the MiFi
          7. Test the Connection

Level 3 Reset

1. Power on the MiFi
          2. Remove the back cover
          3. Press and hold the Reset button next to the battery for 10 seconds
          4. Watch the MiFi E-Ink display to see if all the icons are displayed
          5. Release the Reset button
          6. Reassemble the MiFi
          7. Test your connection

These steps are copied from the MiFi 4510L so let me know if they do not exactly apply.  After you work through the firmware update and resets then you can try to play with the configuration settings.  The 4620L should allow you to switch to 3G or 4G only.

Use 3G only

1. Power on the MiFi
          2. Connect to the MiFi
          3. Navigate to http://mifi.admin
          4. Sign into the MiFi
          5. Click the WWAN tab
          6. Click the More link at the bottom of the page
          7. Change the WWAN Preferred Mode from Global to CDMA Auto
          8. Click Apply
          9. Test your connection

Again, these steps are from the MiFi 4510L, please let me know if they do not apply so we can look up the new steps.  You can use the same steps to switch your MiFi to 4G LTE only if you are in an LTE service area.

• 2. Re: 4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!
            wherder

John,

I've mentioned elsewhere that while I certainly appreciate your  attempts to help, you are absolutely incorrect about the dormancy not being a "problem".  As noted in other posts, I have now proven that it is. See the other posts for details, but it is a fact and not an opinion.  I have now resolved my issues by eliminating my 4150.

• 3. Re: 4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!
              John Getzke

Wherder,

Sorry to hear the 4510L did not work out for you.  My 4510L performs nicely, but maybe I am just lucky.  If I were in your shoes I would have gotten rid of the device too.  No point in paying for a device or service that opperates below your standards.  Hopefully VZW gave you a discount or covered your ETF for all your troubles.

I must disagree with you when you say Dormancy is the problem.  Dormancy is only a status message that attempts to let you know that no data is moving across your device.  My device goes in and out of Dormancy frequently through out the day, yet I do not have any problems connecting to my websites and services.  A device goes dormant is because something else is causing it to do so.  This is why I always say Dormancy is not the problem.  The real problems always boil down to disconnections, interferance, misconfiguration, incompatibility, local tower problems, etc.

• 4. Re: 4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!
                wherder

John, we'll have to agree to disagree.  Let's be clear here.  When I'm saying that Dormancy is a "problem" what I mean is that the device goes "dormant" when it should not - period.  Repeatedly, consistently, and with no apparent cause (on the device config or user end).  More clearly, that sometimes the device goes dormant while "in use" (meaning data being moved).  That when it goes dormant, it doesn't come out.  I've pretty conclusively elimintated local tower issues, misconfiguration, and interference (note some of the testing and data I've provided).  That isn't to say that there is not a "config" issue between the 4150 series and ALL towers but in that case, the "config" would be the "firmware" and not a setting within the users ability to change in the firmware.  When you say "something else is causing it to (go dormant) I'd agree - if you're also including that the device design itself or an incompatibility with the network are what that "something else" is. 

As for VZ, they did absolutely nothing whatsoever to deal with this.  Nothing.  No credit.  No discount.  No nothing - for a device that was patently unstable in in my case, effectively worthless.  I already had solid 3G broadband service, and only got the 4150 for LTE.  My 3G service (embedded in my laptop) worked pretty well, to be honest.  My 4150 never ever worked even remotely reliably - and others have experienced the same unfortunate behavior.

When I did nothing but discard the 4150 and replace it with an LTE equipped iPad, all of those problems immediately evaporated. Instantly.  Same locations. Same use.  Same sites.  No lockups.  No delays.  So, after trying all the different troubleshooting with the 4150 (replacing the device, the SIM, multiple firmware versions, different configs, etc) and having it behave inherently terribly, I simply replaced it with the iPad and all of those problems - every single one of those issues - went away.  That's pretty hard to debate in terms of the "problem". 

So, I would refrain from using the term "always" with respect to the "real problem".  Nobody knows what the "real problem is" - except for possibly accepting that the "real problem" is the 4150.  And the REAL problem is Verizon support.  Having FiOS in my home, and being a very senior technology leader who spends ridiculous sums with multiple carriers I continue to have the same opinion.  Verizon has some great technology (except for the obvious 4150 clunker).  But as good as their technology is, when you DO have a problem, their technical support and customer service is the worst in any telecommunications provider that I have ever had the displeasure of working with.  They make cable companies look great! 

• 5. Re: 4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!
                  jstevens8352

John,

I also initially had the "Dormant Problem" cited by wherder on my 4620 L.  I could connect at 4G and work for a period of time and then the device would report it is "Dormant".  Whether you consider the problem to be with the Dormant function in the device or just a problem with the device is immaterial.  It appears that when the signal level is not strong enough to support 4G, rather than stepping down to 3G, the device goes "Dormant" and will not come out of the dormant state until powered off and on.

Although you don't want to call this a problem with "Dormant" you did provide the solution for me - thank you.  I used your procedure to keep the device from attempting go into 4G and I now have a consistent Internet connection.

I believe the device should automatically step down to 3G when the signal will not support 4G, but that does not appear to be working in the current firmware.  No big deal, I just have to remember to turn off the 3G limit when I get to an area with a sufficiently strong signal.

Again, thanks for providing the solution I needed.

John

• 6. Re: 4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!
                    wherder

To be perfectly clear, I think there are multiple reasons why this issue occurs -and it's not just signal strength.  I have factually demonstrated where when within .57 miles (slightly over a half mile) from a VZ 4G LTE equipped tower, with direct line of sight, no other towers anywhere near, with the tower having low utilization (verified with tower mgmt company that provides service to VZ and other carriers), and where the device shows absolutely full and perfect signal strength, with no outside interference such as high power lines, etc - the issue still occurs.  The 4150L in my case simply crapped out and went "dormant" often during a data transfer. 

• 7. Re: 4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!
                      John Getzke

Thanks for the feedback John.  What you are describing sounds familliar.  Your Dormancy situation appears to be related to the 3g/4g handoff feature of the 4620L.  I have noticed with the previous 4510L similiar situation where handoff's were able to work one way but not the other.  That particular problem was resolved/improved with firmware updates over time. 

We do know that there is atleast one firmware update on the horizon for the 4620L, still no ETA on it though.  This firmware update is supposed to correct some website access issues we exposed on a different thread.  Hopefully there will be some improvements with the handoff feature for you too.

• 8. Re: 4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!
                        rasnell

I have tried every single one of the resets and instructions. Nothing works. 13 attempts. 5 units, 3 sim cards. C'mon, Verizon. You've got a problem with the Jet Pack. Scratch it and find something that works.

• 9. Re: 4620L Jetpack, too "dormant" to use!
                          John Getzke

Rasnell,

Help us document your experience so we can compare it to others:

Device model?

How often does this happen & for how long?

Do you have other 4G devices that work in the same area?

Are you in an Extended 4G area?

Does your Jetpack work while on 3G?

1 2 3 Previous Next