8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 7:04 AM by lewisr13 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Changed plan. Now billed month in advance?

vzw-tempname-85168f00-23dd-41ce-ae0e-c516249bc1ec

I understand the concept of the month in advance, but when I went to change plans, I asked if the ORIGINAL month-in-advance would be credited against the new MIA, and the rep gave me a whole lot of dates and charges that equalled "no". So I left without changing plans because it sounded like I would have then paid TWO MIA payments. If I am wrong, please correct me.

• 1. Re: Changed plan. Now billed month in advance?
          SuzyQ

What happens when you change plans is that your bill can get very confusing. 

If you have the change take effect at the start of the new billing cycle, the new bill will just reflect the new charge.  If you backdate the plan, you will see a credit for the previous month plan (that you have already paid), a re-bill for new amount, then the following month in advance. So the bill should only increase (or decrease) by the difference in the two  plans, times 2 (backdating to the previous month, and then the coming month).

If you change plans in the middle of the month (NOT recommended!) it is complicated - your bill gets prorated for the number of days on each plan, and it can result in overages, and you really don't want to do it this way.  Either backdate it  or start it at the start of your new billing cycle.

• 2. Re: Changed plan. Now billed month in advance?
            disgustedwithverizon

I'm dealing with a $341 bill and I've barely had this phone for two months. What the heck? I'm in the process of disputing the charges since I too was billed a month in advance.  I didn't authorize that!?!! I'm so mad. I spoke to a rep. on the phone, and she said she was putting in dispute form, and that I would get a call back or a text message, but that was a week ago, and I haven't heard back. I signed into my account to see if they had fixed it, and of course not! What was I thinking when I left Sprint? At least I wasn't taken advantage of like I am now!

• 3. Re: Changed plan. Now billed month in advance?
              SuzyQ

If this is your first bill, it will be higher than your normal bill will be.  Why?  You start service, and receive service when you get the phone(s).  Your bill will reflect a partial month for the current service, and bill for the coming month.  Your service is ALWAYS billed ahead fro the coming month.

Your first bill includes your regular monthly charge, a partial month charge from when you started service, any activation fees, sales tax on the new devices, accessory charges if any were purchased, and possibly the cost of the new phones.  It can get expensive, but that's only the first bill.  It should settle into a more reasonable, normal bill once you get into the cycle.

Your future bills will be for service for the month ahead, and any overages or roaming from the previous month (if any).

• 4. Re: Changed plan. Now billed month in advance?
                spaceduckie

The month in advance charge is something that you authorize. it is the standard billing that most cellphone(cable, internet, home phone) providers charge services. while you are paying in advance, your bill is not actually due until that month in advance is almost over. example. if your bill cycle is the 10th of each month, your bill would run from the 11th through the 10th of the following month. another example would be, my bill cycle. my cycle is the 10th. so my next bill will have charges from May 11th through June 10th, but my bill isn't due until June 5th.

as for changes to your calling plan. If I am already billed for a 700 minute plan and pay $50 for that plan from may 11th to june 10th (no text, and just the account access charge for those who are wondering), and on the 20th I find that i need 1400 minutes, I would call customer service(or use MYVZ) and back date a 1400 plan which is $70. On my next invoice(june 11th to july 10th), I would see a $50 credit on my bill(page 2) and a $70 charge. the credit is the money I was billed for my old plan, the charge is the cost of the new plan that i ACTUALLY needed. so effectively I am only paying the difference of $20. My monthly billing will also include the regular monthly charge of $70 from June 11th to July 10th

• 5. Re: Changed plan. Now billed month in advance?
                  2frmlu

You are not alone.  I have been with Verizon for almost 20 years.  I have three lines and with data usage its been getting extremely annoying to receive whopper bills in advance, when I increase my data allowance.  They make it super convenient to up your allowance to avoid overages, but that convenience is followed up by bills for your current plan plus the additional data plan, including usage you have not received yet.  I have complained about this since no other company I do business with bills this way.  Not even my cable provider charges in advance when I change my plan.  It's unacceptable and I search routinely for another provider.  As soon as one is available with better options I will likely jump ship.

• 6. Re: Changed plan. Now billed month in advance?
                    2frmlu

Im sorry, but it is not the billing most cell phone, cable internet, home phone proiders use.  I totally disagree.  Dish network for example does not bill this way.

• 7. Re: Changed plan. Now billed month in advance?
                      tikibar1

Comcast bills in advance.

• 8. Re: Changed plan. Now billed month in advance?
                        lewisr13

2frmlu wrote:

Im sorry, but it is not the billing most cell phone, cable internet, home phone proiders use.  I totally disagree.  Dish network for example does not bill this way.

Who's your cable provider? Every one I've ever had bills this way, same with cell phone companies, and home phone providers. They all billed in advance for standard services and after on non-stanrdard services.