Verizon system update hard bricked my Razr
pddcoo

Verizon pushed a "system update" to my Razr today (6.something).  Apparently (from another blog), this is a "foundational" upgrade is preparation for ICS around May 21.  Problem is that it bricked the phone so badly that even Verizon couldn't fix it so they are having to replace it.  The Power + volume down button returns to the same black boot loader screen.  Power + volume down, then holing volume up while restarting returns the home screen for 30 seconds, then it powers down then up and the phone returns to the bootloader screen again.  Anyone else experience this?  The black screen of death says:

AP Fastboot Flash mode (S)

0A.6C

T return to normal mode - first press power key to power down

Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0

Battery OK

Connect USB

Data Cable

Has anyone seen this or solved it?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon system update hard bricked my Razr
B33
Legend

pddcoo wrote:

Verizon pushed a "system update" to my Razr today (6.something).  Apparently (from another blog), this is a "foundational" upgrade is preparation for ICS around May 21.  Problem is that it bricked the phone so badly that even Verizon couldn't fix it so they are having to replace it.  The Power + volume down button returns to the same black boot loader screen.  Power + volume down, then holing volume up while restarting returns the home screen for 30 seconds, then it powers down then up and the phone returns to the bootloader screen again.  Anyone else experience this?  The black screen of death says:

AP Fastboot Flash mode (S)

0A.6C

T return to normal mode - first press power key to power down

Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0

Battery OK

Connect USB

Data Cable

Has anyone seen this or solved it?

You Don't get Updates from Verizon from a Blog they Come from O.T.A That is unless you went to this so called Blog an Downloaded it your self. As i said Verizon Does Not send any Updates any other Way but O.T.A

An this Link will show this Procedure that Verizon Uses 

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/droid_razr_maxx_instructions.pdf

0 Likes
pddcoo

No. The update was OTA.  The explanation for what this update actually was (a foundation change needed before the ICS upgrade later in the month) came from the Engadget blog.  I ran across the article when I was googling the screen message on the phone to try to find a solution after Verizon Tech cold not solve the problem

0 Likes
pddcoo

Not rooted. Had the phone all of thirty days. Worked fine until this update.  Neither tech support on the phone nor the tech at the Verizon (owned) store could solve the problem.  Clearly a defect, so they are sending a replacement.  That leaves me with no phone for a week. Was hoping someone had dealt with this issue and had an answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well i prefer Corporate Stores Over (Owned) ones but at least you are getting a New Re-placement..b33

0 Likes
KContri

I received the same update yesterday morning and my phone has been frozen on the DROID shut down screen since last night.  I was able to get it to restart with the power/vol reset his morning.  Now, the phone isn't working correctly at all.  Any advice?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

When you done the Update were U using the phone in any Way:  Did your Razr have a Full Battery when you done the update : And did you have a Good Signal when you Done the Update. These are all Factors you need to Consider when doing the Update. I would say your Best Option Now is to Go to a Corporate Store an have them Flash the Device to Back when it was New an Start over Again Ask for a Manager an let him or her know that your Razr is having a issue since trying the Update.. b33

0 Likes
pddcoo

So, yes I do know the difference between a verizon (owned) corporate store and an authorized reseller.  Tech support on the phone recommended I go to the store; but when I got there, the manager said that Tech support should have know better, that they no longer have on site technicians and could do no more than we had done already via phone.  Also I have a network extender in the house, and the An Tu Tu benchmarks for that when I'm using my 4g modem are higher than for my 22mbps Comcast service.  My phone had been on the charger overnight and had just been unplugged when the update notice came.

I suspect the real issue is an interaction between Motorola Smart Actions and the update.  Smart Actions will change settings on the phone dynamically based on GPS, activity, time, etc., and it could be that the update routine does not check and disable Smart Actions during the process.

With respect to KContri, it is fortunate that the phone still reacts to its external buttons.  I had the same partial update issue with an HTC Incredible a few months ago.  It acted erratically.  I did a full factory reset which restored normal functionality. A few hours later the update appeared again and worked without a problem.  Not saying that HTC experience translates into Motorola results, but strongly urge you to try the full factory reset while you still are able. Then make sure that Smart Actions are disabled.  The update likely will appear again an work fine.

If you do go to the store, call first and make sure it's a store that actually can do something for you.  My store was not even able to swap out, so it was a wasted trip.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Sorry pddcoo . I kind of figured it would Turn out that way you went to the store for Help and i Suggested it and instead of Getting help from the Manager He or She Blew you Off. This Happens More than it Should an Yes Customer Service is the Ones that Help out the Most, But the Reps an Managers alike train on these Devices Right before they go out to the Public an they in my Mind could of done  A. Flashed  the Phone to bring it Back to New and give you a Fresh start or B. Sent you Home with a New Device Weather it be a Brand New One or a  C.G.A.N unit instead of what they Did..b33  

0 Likes
armyofmunn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Three weeks ago that happened to my commando and no one could help either and they had to send me another phone. I had to activate my old phone while I waited for the replacement then activate the new one when I got it. This is no help to you but your not alone with this download they sent out.

0 Likes