MiFi 4g 4510L
ndnguy06

this is my first post concerning this issue. I was sent a brand new 4g MiFi 4510L through corporate via an upgrade from 3g. All ive had is problems. 4 days into having the device and it working as it should it started to blink green then purple. When i talked to support i got the usual gambit of doing reset and the battery take out. Also the removal of sim card.Then after all of that not working i was issued a trouble ticket to which they got back to me and said nothing was wrong with the towers or equipment. i am in a 4g area and have never had problems before. so every time i try and turn it on i get the same blink and they can not tell me anything besides i have to replace the brand new device with a refurbished one. Can some one please tell me something im not aware of. im desperate because even though my ipad or laptop does not get service somehow im getting usage charges. though small,im not even able to connect to the dang thing.HELP!!!!!

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4g 4510L
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

The MiFi LED turns colors and blinks depending on what it is doing at the time.  For example a green light means you are connected to 4G LTE, purple light means 3G.  A solid light means the device is not moving data around where a blinking light means that it is.  If you are in a 4G area then your light should normally be blinking green while the MiFi is in use.

I suggest updating your firmware to verion 2.28.  There have been good reports from forum users that this firmware update has helped in 4G LTE areas.  If this MiFi is your only source of Internet then you may have to bring it into a store and have them perform the upgrade for you, it takes about 10 minutes.

If you could provide us with more details on what you mean by "does not work" then we could suggest other solutions too.   For example do you have a problem connecting to the MiFi, connecting to VZW, staying connected, too slow to use, etc.  If you can connect then sharing your download speed test results from http://speedtest.net would be helpful too.  

What strikes me as odd about this situation is that VZW is suggesting a hardware replacement.  Does that mean they are not willing to cover the expenses for you?  I'd take them up on their offer if they are willing to do it for you even if its a refurb.  A new MiFi should be covered by warranty and at the least the 14 day trial.  You shouldnt have any issues getting them to swap your hardware for free or backing out of the program without charge.

0 Likes
ndnguy06

Thanks again for your response John. Here are some answers to your technical questions. For example when it's supposedly going back and forth between 3G and 4g I cannot connect at all. My tablet is finding it but no services are finding there way through unless it's at such a slow speed as to be unknown. Also I've been back and forth with a tech and would of never known about the firmware update in less you let me know why does it take you and not a tech to tell me these things. As for my speed it doesn't even register to start the test. So no help there. Well I will take it down and see if I can have it updated. Thanks again and will post progress.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

ndnguy06 wrote:

Also I've been back and forth with a tech and would of never known about the firmware update in less you let me know why does it take you and not a tech to tell me these things.

Store Reps, VZW support and the forum all serve a different purpose in supporting your device.  Store Reps are good at selling devices and swapping hardware.  VZW support has more resources and is better for simple troubleshooting, but are normally limited to the same few canned responses.  The forum is where you go for experts and detailed analysis, but your answers may take time or never come at all due to participation.  Look to the forum for advanced troubleshooting.  Depending on the nature of a given problem it is better/quicker to go one direction or another.

In this case the best place to go was to the forums since you did not have a "simple" problem.  I define simple problems as error messages or visible hardware damage, stuff VZW can look up in a training manual for a list of responses.  You might have had back luck with VZW support or they might not have gotten to the point where they suggest the firmware update.  Normally they will suggest going through the resets and firmware updates before suggesting any kind of hardware replacement.

Keep us posted on your findings.  If your MiFi cannot even make it out to Speedtest.net then chances are not good that it will be able to complete the firmware update either.  Device replacement may be needed as a first step so you can atleast update your firmware and test it in your area. 

0 Likes