4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2012 9:30 PM by SuzyQ RSS

Plan change

dmon

Can anyone tell me if I change my plan to lower minutes; do I have to renew the contract even if my contract is up?

• 1. Re: Plan change
          Ann154

You can change your voice plan at any time without a contract extension.

• 2. Re: Plan change
            SuzyQ

Ann is correct; changing your plan does not change your contract.  Purchasing a new phone using the discounted pricing WILL renew your contract, but simply changing your plan to lower minutes per month will not.  Be sure to have the NEW plan start at the beginning of your next billing cycle to avoid any pro-rating charges and bill confusion.

• 3. Re: Plan change
              Squirrel79

So, I can lower the minutes of my contract without changing the contract itself per se. I have a Nationwide Select Share plan with 2100 minutes of which I use less than 500 min. We have shared unlimited data. One of the lines has finished the contract. The other line has until the middle of August to finish the contract. The phone on the second part of the contract is hopelessly broken. The first phone person wants to switch to a different carrier now that their phone is older. Can they switch before August? Can they just change the number on the unbroken phone so that the person with the broken phone can have a phone to use until August at least?

• 4. Re: Plan change
                SuzyQ

Squirrel79 wrote:

So, I can lower the minutes of my contract without changing the contract itself per se. I have a Nationwide Select Share plan with 2100 minutes of which I use less than 500 min. Are any of those minutes Friends and Family?  If you lower your plan to 700, you lose the F&F; at 1400 minutes, you still have 10 F&F numbers you can use. We have shared unlimited data. One of the lines has finished the contract. The other line has until the middle of August to finish the contract. The phone on the second part of the contract is hopelessly broken. The first phone person wants to switch to a different carrier now that their phone is older. Can they switch before August? Can they just change the number on the unbroken phone so that the person with the broken phone can have a phone to use until August at least?

I'm a little confused on who has the broken phone and who wants to switch - you have two lines on your plan, one line is out of contract, one is in contract until August.  The phone on the line with the August end date is broken - you can use another phone on that line (as long as it is a Verizon phone), and it would have to be a basic or multimedia phone if you want to keep the Select plan. 

The person on the line that is out of contract can cancel their line, and / or port it to the new carrier.  The second line can use the first line's phone (that number would need to be ported first, or another phone activated on that number) but activate with the second line's number (the number currently under contract till August).  If there are only two lines, then the plan will be changed to an individual line - the lowest plan there is 450, with no F&F, or 900 with 5 F&F.

If this is still confusing, post back and I'll try to clarify.