Samsung Convoy 2 software update?
rob119

Today my phone randomly started updating its software. Now after the update, I can no longer use my front keys to check texts, access the menu, check the time, use the flashlight, etc without first opening the phone. This is a huge inconvenience, and makes the front screen virtually useless. Is there any way to go back to the old software, or make it so I can use my front screen again?

I think my new software version is u660.eh01    prl version 52341     eri version 5

Anyone else having this problem?

<Email address removed per the TOS>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Convoy 2 software update?
RayReptile

My wife has the same phone, and much like you, got this update today.  She is having a lot of similiar issues with the front screen working.  She did say that she found if you hold the front button down, it will eventually turn on, but it takes a bit.

One thing she is also not fond of, is how the text message bubbles are darker.  She said she can barely see them.

The main thing she is frustrated by, was when she stopped into the Verizon store, and they said they knew nothing about the update, nor could they help her.

So, here we are, looking for answers as well.

0 Likes
altair4
Enthusiast - Level 2

This also might be Verizon's response to users complaining that the phone will send texts automatically while in a person's pocket.  So maybe they inserted a time delay so you have to actually press and hold the front panel buttons for a few seconds to activate the phone's menu and such.  Same is true when you press and hold the side buttons.  It would be nice if they gave an official explanation when they decide to role out an upgrade! 

0 Likes
rob119

Cool thanks for the replies guys. Did not know about holding the buttons down, that makes this update more bearable. I just liked the convenience of being able to pull my phone out and immediately check the time etc.

As far as the butt-texting, yea that was an issue for me, but I just deleted my "quick texts" and it was no longer a problem, so personally I'd rather go back to the old software. And yea as far as visiting the Verizon store, they are just sales people they can very very rarely help you. That's why I turned here!

0 Likes
TaylorSloan

Did anyone else get the "new feature" of the caller name on the front screen being replaced by "Ringer Silenced" when any external key is pressed to mute the ringtone?  If I mute the ringtone before I see who is calling, I have to flip the lid to see who it is.

0 Likes
altair4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine does the same thing.  So you either have to look at the front screen first after a ring or too, or if you choose to silence it right away like I do, well you have to open it.  But then you answer the call.  Sometimes in the past, I would just silence the phone right away, take it out of my holster that is on by belt and then look at who is calling.  You would then have had the choice to answer or let it go to voice mail.  So now you better not silence it right away or you will have to answer.  I guess you could put it on vibrate so not to disturb anyone.  I think this part of the update is terrible!  Hope this helps!

0 Likes
altair4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a work around for the "Ringer Silenced" issue.  Go to settings and tools; call settings and then select "answer options".  Now unselect the box that is assigned to "flip open".  Now select and check the box that reads "any key".  Now when you get a call and silence it, you can open up your phone and elect to ignore the caller (that you can see whose name or number it is) or press any key and answer it.  I just did that to my phone.  Maybe in another 6 months they might push out another software upgrade if people complain enough.  

djm21

Has she tried adjusting the brightness of the screen ?

0 Likes
H8

I got this update yesterday also. I was playing with the outside buttons trying to get it to work (yes I did eventually figure out that you have to hold the button for a couple seconds) and my phone completely locked up. The only way to recover was to pull the battery. I called tech support and was eventually sent to "tier 2" tech support. At that time they had no information of any problems associated with the update, and that the update was actually released in November, I did tell them about this thread to show that others had also gotten the update on the 11th (I found out today, as I have talked to tier 2 multiple times now, that they send out the updates in batches so they won't overload the system). Eventually they wanted me to do a master reset which I figured was going to happen but I had an appointment so that would have to wait.

On to call number two to "tier 2" (yeah try saying that ten times real fast). Master reset done, no change. Still no known issues with update. Refurbished phone will be over-nighted.

Phone showed up today, popped in the battery, I didn't activate it because I wanted to see if it had the same issue, sure enough within thirty seconds I had the phone locked up by playing around with the outside buttons, got it to do it three more times within five minutes. I can see this potentially being a big problem with the people that were having the but texting issue (which was being caused by the center face button being pressed 6 or so times while in a pocket), I haven't figured out what the exact sequence of buttons is to reproduce the lockup on demand but i have been able to lockup my phone (and the replacement) numerous times.

Third call to "tier 2". Phone lockups are now a known issue but the only reports are from April (the rep said she had personally fielded a few calls today about it, so it's not just me). I also brought to their attention the "ringer silenced" issue, and asked if there was anyway to find a change-log for the "updates". Apparently neither tech support nor the public has access to the change-log, which I can't understand as they are common for almost every software update on the planet, everything from video games to every single program on my computer has a change-log somewhere that is viewable by the public. Sending back the "replacement phone".

Personally I liked the way my phone worked before, I didn't have the but-texting issue and liked that I could tap an outside button to quickly see the time. I wish that instead of forcing a change of the functionalty of the phone they would have added an option to change, i.e. a new settings option to make the outside buttons either a tap or a hold. I'm sure Samsungs reasoning is "people won't know that we added this new option to fix the but-texting issue so we just forced the change on everyone" my response to that would be to simply text the change-log to people when you do an update, i.e. "We have added an option to change the amount of time that the outside buttons need to be pressed before activating (to solve a known "erronous text messages" issue) go to Menu>settings>blah blah blah. or a text saying "the change-log for this update can be found at our website www.samsung.com/changelog".

And the "ringer silenced" thing is really annoying, personally I uncheck all the answer options so the only way to answer my phone is by hitting "send" but still I don't want to have to open the phone to see who is calling (I use a holster and it's pretty much guaranteed that I hit a button pulling my phone out).

I would suggest that everyone call customer service/tech support and let them know about any problems you're having and also your opinions about the changes, even if you have already reported them here, the more they hear from people the quicker they will fix the problems and hopefully allow us more options instead of deciding for us how our phones should work.

Sorry for writing a novel here.

tl;dr A.K.A. summary

The update has been out since November, it's sent out in batches, April batch is FUBAR and has the potential to lockup your phone. They tried to solve the but-texting problem and/or battery usage by accidental button presses but created a bigger one.

0 Likes
thirdeye

Same thing happened to me.  My S/W is U660.eh01  PRL is 52629  ERI V.5 and the update happened on April 12th.  I stopped by my dealer on the way to work and they were not familiar with the problem, and immediately called tech support. While we were on hold, they checked things out and figured out that it took about 3 seconds of holding the > key and the front clock and/or front menu opened.  (these guys were aware of the "pocket texting" problems with this phone and assumed this update was a fix for that)  They ran a few more tests, verified all the regular functions worked and I was good to go. (all this happened while we were waiting for tech support).  In less than 10 minutes I was on my way.

0 Likes