6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2012 5:55 AM by marybeth614 RSS

Overage in minutes

dolphn1985

So I just received our bill for the past month. It appears we went way over our minutes and we are now being charged $174 for it. This is the first time we have ever gone over our minutes and I have been a Verizon customer for almost 10 years. By the time I had received a notification from Verizon that we were close to going over our minutes we had already gone way over and our billing cycle was about to end. I thought we were supposed to be notified before we actually went over our minutes to let us know we were getting close. Is it unreasonable for me to ask them to waive the overage fee this one time? I am going to change our minutes to the plan that is a step up from our current plan to make sure we never have this issue again.

• 1. Re: Overage in minutes
          rcschnoor

dolphn1985 wrote:

Is it unreasonable for me to ask them to waive the overage fee this one time? I am going to change our minutes to the plan that is a step up from our current plan to make sure we never have this issue again.

No, it is not unreasonable to ask. It is also not unreasonable for them to deny your request, but that does not mean they will not give you at least partial credit.

• 2. Re: Overage in minutes
            pollix11

Hi Dolph1985,

I don't think it unreasonable to ask, but I wouldn't hold my breath. There is not a whole lot they can do after your billing cycle ends. If they notified you before the end of your billing cycle and you called in to *611, they would have gladly moved you up a plan and backdated it to cover the overages already incurred, I don't know of any other carriers that do this (maybe all do). I think that their reasoning on this is that they give you so many options to track your usage such as "My Verizon", #min,#data and the notification you received before your bill cycle ended that it is your responsibility to take action before they generate your bill. I don't think it's totally fair, but for a big corporation it's more than I expected when I went over. I just called and they backdated me to cover overages and switched back to my lower plan the next month because I didn't expect to go over anymore (and haven't). I gotta say I was thrilled they were willing to backdate my plan like that!

Good luck in the future:)

• 3. Re: Overage in minutes
              YaleK_VZW

Hello,

I would like to first thank rcschnoor and pollix11 for their responses.  We do offer great options for our customers to monitor and manage their usage.  Dolphin1985, as a 10 year customer we certainly value your business.  I would like to review your account and determine the most cost effective solution available.  Please do not hesitate to send me a Direct Message with your name and account information so I can take a closer look at the charges.  I will be eagerly awaiting your response. 

Thank You

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

• 4. Re: Overage in minutes
                wife22

My husband and I are new customers.  I thought that the 780 minutes showing on my phone was for both of us. Neither of us got any notification that we had used too many minutes and now we have a $199 overage charge.  My husband had told me that we could switch if we were talking too much but we didn't know.

Also, now I am worried that I might have incurred roaming charges without realizing it.  My husband told me that we had nationwide service and I just went on a two week trip.

• 5. Re: Overage in minutes
                  Verizon Wireless Customer Support

I understand how frustrating it can be to have these unexpected overage charges and I'm here to help. However, I will need to access your account to better assist you. Please send me a direct message with your name and mobile number so I can access your account and better assist you. We are also available to assist via Twitter @VZWSupport.

I'll be happy to take a look at your account and see what options are available to you.

VZW_CS
                  ^JB

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

• 6. Re: Overage in minutes
                    marybeth614

Dolphn,

I too have been with Verizon for 10+ years and have NEVER had overage...ironically until this bill ... I called and told them this was impossible as I work full time and go to school full time and rarely call anyone that is out of network ( when I have time to make calls ) ... I was told by the first rep I spoke to that he needed to check with a supervisor on what can be done.. He came back 5 minutes later  and said as a one time courtesy they could waive the overage if I went up to the next plan ... reluctantly I did with intentions to closely watch my bill daily and see. He told me it would take a few days to see the credit... I waited a week and no credit. I called back and was told the previous rep put through a credit for half of the overage and it was not approved by a manager. I told her that was not the "deal" she then preceded to tell me she could credit the half and that was all she could do. I let it go thinking I would call after that was applied and see what can be done. I then viewed my bill online and saw she only put it through for half so the credit was not 25%. I spent an hour and a half on the phone last night with a "supervisor" who told me she only was approved for the 25% ...his excuse "she must have done the math wrong" he then offered me another 25% off the bill which still was not the full credit I was told I would get. I asked for his supervisor and he said he wasn't in and came in at 2pm the next day.. I asked for the supervisors name he said his boss was "Willy" no last name was given because he wasn't allowed to give it. So good luck with your adventure with this department ... they never do what they will say and apparently cannot do math!!!