8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 6:01 PM by karl0528 RSS

If you're fed up w/ android's stability issues...

karl0528

Do what I did. Switch to an iphone. I have never been a fan boy by any means but wow this phone is awesome! The battery is much better than any android device I have ever owned (g1, droid x, thunderbolt) and ios is not as buggy as android is.  The biggest thing for me is having a phone that can last me a full day and still keep it's charge (which my tbolt would not do even w/ my screen brightness turned all the way down and 4g, gps turned off) and not to mention apps seem to work better and look better on ios than android versions. I can really go on and on about this. I was skeptical at first because i'm not a huge itunes fan but everything works seamlessly so that should not be an issue.  Another great thing is ios updates come about once a yr and for the most part their updates don't discriminate on certain phones like android does. I always hated that updates would be pushed to only certain devices every 6 mos or so and more often than none your device does not end up supporting android OS updates while only newer phones do which is probably why so many android devices are sold.

• 1. Re: If you're fed up w/ android's stability issues...
          budone

I agree the battery life is not all that great, however that is more an issue with the battery used. These devices need to start coming with a larger battery.

• 2. Re: If you're fed up w/ android's stability issues...
            CharmingPhlsphr

The iPhone is a decent device and is great with media. I, however, lasted on an iPhone for about four months before switching to a new Android-based phone. The navigational feature, email capabilities, and internet quality are all atrocious by comparison. I can handle the few downfalls for the essentials to be the best in the industry.

• 3. Re: If you're fed up w/ android's stability issues...
              Onedroid

I've never had any issues with Android.  I wouldn't buy an iphone if it was the last smartphone on the planet.  I'd go back to a flip phone before I'd purchase anything apple.  I'm not saying the iphone is bad, just I don't buy apple products ever. 

• 4. Re: If you're fed up w/ android's stability issues...
                Ringah

The idea of Android being "buggy" vs IOS is a pet peeve of mine.  Apple has a great marketing machine indeed.  There have been quite a few bugs for Iphones over the years, Apple just settled a court case for the Iphone 4 over reception issues http://articles.cnn.com/2012-02-20/tech/tech_mobile_iphone-4-antenna-settlement_1_antenna-problem-iphone-protective-case?_s=PM:TECH

Then there was the case of the Iphone 4S/IOS 5 battery drain issue http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2011-11-02/apple-acknowledges-iphone-battery-problems/51049458/1.

I have also seen the issue reported on these forums a few times of not being able to send messages to specific people which I have seen from a few people I personally know.  Do any of these things make the Iphone "buggy"?  Of course not, it has technical problems just like every other piece of high end electronics, including Androids, Blackberries, Windows 7 phones ect.

• 5. Re: If you're fed up w/ android's stability issues...
                  notarep

^This

It is no lesser or better than any other phone. Its a strong smartphone no doubt, very user friendly, and the build quality is outstanding, albeit dated. However, it is not immune to typical smartphone. The significant difference is in how quickly the developers fix bugs. Android users will have to wait months if they aren't familiar with rooting or flashing. That said, it makes it a little more difficult when the manufacturer of the phone and the developer of the operating system are two different entities.

ALSO, apple requires that apps are tested to work correctly before being submitted to the market which makes sense since you would have to pay for majority. Majority of android apps are private or 3rd party made, hence being free. Just brings up the old adage of you get what you pay for I suppose.

For the person who wants to be able to customize their phone to the fullest, have no barriers when it comes to programs they can run, have the ability to maximize performance, and isn't afraid of "getting it to work", Android is awesome. iOS is great for stability, style, and ease of use, and I recommend it to the regular consumer who doesn't bother too much with technical things.

*sigh*

• 6. Re: If you're fed up w/ android's stability issues...
                    Wildman

Its a preference thing really, I am glad the iPhone works better for you but I own a iPhone and a number of Android devices and I can say I will use a Android quicker for everyday use than a Apple product.

My TB hasn't given me the battery issues that others has reported but also I am not guaranteed to be running the same applications as the next user...  Android users dont realize that the apps used on their device should be used wisely and the user should not try to install every app from the market at one time on the device, all those apps impacts battery life.

I bought my daughter a HTC Inspire for ATT (because where she goes to school at Verizon service isn't the best)...  She had been a iPhone user for years and she damaged her screen and she liked using my HTC Thunderbolt so we decided to give her a HTC device and she loves the device...  She loves that she can customize device without restriction and loading movies and music is a simple drag and drop situation, she is very happy and isn't looking back.

But when all is said and done I still say the same thing, what device works for you is a preference and each users veiw a device differently..

• 7. Re: If you're fed up w/ android's stability issues...
                      SuzyQ

notarep wrote:

For the person who wants to be able to customize their phone to the fullest, have no barriers when it comes to programs they can run, have the ability to maximize performance, and isn't afraid of "getting it to work", Android is awesome.

iOS is great for stability, style, and ease of use, and I recommend it to the regular consumer who doesn't bother too much with technical things.

*sigh*

And therein lies the difference - you said it well, notarep !

• 8. Re: If you're fed up w/ android's stability issues...
                        karl0528

Bugs affect me when I have to do multiple battery pulls daily, or when I'm notified of voice mails on my device until 2 days later. When a phone fails to act as an actual phone then I have no problem ditching it for something proven.  iOS updates must have fixed the battery issues because my 4s lasts me much much longer than my thunderbolt did (and yes gps and 4g were turned off).

Don't get me wrong Android is fun to play with and has great potential but when it comes to reliability iOS and Apple win the battle. If I'm buying a device I shouldn't have to root it and void my warranty to make the device work properly, to me that is a horrible customer experience and poor expectation.