3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2012 12:43 AM by Tidbits RSS

Add a new line to get Iphone 4s instead of ETF?

bowershh6

Could I add a line to our family share plan to get the Iphone 4S, and after activation on the same day switch the Iphone to my current phone line # on the same plan, and then add an old non data phone to the new line added to buy the iphone? That way I get the Iphone at the 2 year price and not have to pay a early termination fee, plus I get to keep my current phone # and unlimited data? Will this work? Help please!

• 1. Re: Add a new line to get Iphone 4s instead of ETF?
          Tidbits

Yes, but you will have to pay an extra $10 a month.  The new line doesn't have to have a smartphone after that unless you buy from a 3rd party retailer in most cases(some will charge you their ETF if you removed features as they lose commissions for you dropping the data plan).

• 2. Re: Add a new line to get Iphone 4s instead of ETF?
            bowershh6

I would be buying this from a verizon store. I went tonight to buy the iphone 4s and I was told I couldn't because last May I decided to pay the difference for a new phone instead of getting the same phone they had replaced many times and I kept having issues with having poor reception quality. So I bought my current Droid X for $199.99 plus $20 more for the early upgrade fee, so I got no discount. I am told today that I used my upgrade in May so I have to wait until January of 2012 to upgrade to Iphone 4S or any other phone unless I pay retail price of $649.99. So my husband and I decided to see if it would be worth just adding a new line and switching the phones around. Do you see me getting any grief for doing this?

• 3. Re: Add a new line to get Iphone 4s instead of ETF?
              Tidbits

Well if you add a line you'll be paying $240+ taxes and fees over 2 years + the price of the phone. Personally if you wait until later this year the iPhone 5 will be out.