Data transfer when modem disconnected?
mitechwriter

We have a 5GB per month plan and never went over it until Dec. Figured it was heavy vacation usage, then was obviously going to go over in January. Started tracking usage and found that when all the computers were shutdown, data was still being transferred, sometimes at high rates, usually (if the time recorded is true) late at night and early in the morning. We did an experiment where we completely disconnected the modem at about 10 pm and saw a data transfer in excess of 150 MB from 5 pm to 5 am with no updates or usage that would account for 150 MB from 5 pm to 10 pm. At no time when we had the modem disconnected did data transfer stop. We are in a rural area and our router requires a PW so it's unlikely someone is "stealing" usage. I put this query into VZ via the website a week ago and haven't heard a thing back.

0 Likes
Re: Data transfer when modem disconnected?
Not applicable

Mitechwriter,

That is strange that you are having data transfers when your modem is disconnected. Are you seeing an increase in your bill or extra charges? Have you had any other issues with you device?   

In order to resolve your issue can you please DM me your mobile telephone number so I can research your account and get you an answer?

Thanks

SammuelP_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mitechwriter

Hello – not sure what will come of this. So far, I’ve contacted Verizon via the website (1.5 weeks ago), no reply. Talked to one person on the 800 number who said she would research and call me back, no reply. Talked to another person on the 800 number who said she would have someone research it and would text me the ticket number, no reply. Getting a little jaded at this point.

Yes I am getting charged for overage. Here is a snapshot of the most recent records:

The modem was disconnected on 2/8/2012 and 2/9/2012 probably about 10 or 11 pm. It was probably reconnected the following morning at 5:30 or 6 am. If my understanding of the records is correct, overnight on 2/8/2012 from approx 6 pm to 6 am 103 Mb was transferred. It is important to understand that for us this is A LOT of data. Our speed is very low and if we have data transfers this large we go into town; we do not use the Verizon mobile. It takes too long.

Around 1/24/2012, very large transfers occurred:

I don’t know if the modem was disconnected from 3 am to 9 am but I do know that for much of that time the computers would have been idle. Again, we would not even have attempted a > 1 G transfer/download.

In the billing period ending Nov 15 we showed 4.7 GB

In the billing period ending Dec 15 we showed 4.4 GB

In the billing period ending Jan 15 we showed 5.2 GB and were charged

As of today (5 days before end of billing period) we show 5.9 GB; we started watching our usage record about 2 weeks ago

I can’t go further back in the records past Nov 15 but I think data usage before that was closer to 3 GB.

As I mentioned in my post we are in a rural area…the nearest neighbor with a computer is almost ½ mile away. I doubt that our router reaches that far and it is PW protected.

If you can help, I would appreciate it. Getting a bit frustrated. If we had high speed with this kind of overage it would not be bad. But our very slow speed (excepting a few heavenly days with 4G; don’t know why it happened but enjoyed it) means we’re paying more for not very good service. I’m running now at 500 kbps, which is actually not that bad compared to summer speeds.

Ann

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi mitechwriter, were you able to send Sam a direct message with your name and number? You would need to hover over his name and choose direct message so that we can further investigate this.

MarquiaF_VZW

0 Likes
_recyclableme

I am having the exact same problem. We upgraded to 10GB 4g just to make sure it wasn't over the 5gb. Could you look into mine also?

Thanks

Raechal

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hello .reyclableme!

Thanks for the post! We would be happy to look at your data usage for you. What kind of device are you using? Are there multiple people in your home with access to the device? Could you have left your computer connected overnight? If so, your computer may have downloaded Windows updates. This would create data usage while you were not using the PC. Let us know so we can research this further for you!

Thank you!

Katie H

VZW Support

Follow us @VZWSupport

0 Likes
_recyclableme

I had the usb modem. Yes there are multiple people using it but not at the times they said we had transfers. Yes, sometimes I leave the computer on but I was totally disconnecting the modem. Needless to say we had so many problems we upgraded to the jetpack but now we are showing usage about every half hour today for instance. I had the computer totally off since 10 PM last night but accidently left the jetpack on. How can it do something without the computer? I am very unhappy with the jetpack. Sometimes it drops connection so when we try to get on the internet everytime we have to diagnose the connection problem then it connects but having to do this every time is ridiculous. I have had more problems in the last few months with VZ that I am considering stopping my service! Please help

0 Likes
mitechwriter

Did this after I received your message but have not heard back about the problem. Just paid $30 additional for the last month's bill. If we have this happen again we need to seriously look at other options for internet service. I see no need to go to a 10 G plan when I'm convinced we don't really use more than 5 G. I noticed that so far this month, usage seems to be more normal (under 2 G at almost mid-payment period) although we are not doing anything different.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hello .recyclableme,

Thank you so much for responding! We definitely don't want you to to cancel your service.  Do you have a secure connection on the MiFi? I would recommend resetting the password, since you are experiencing unexpected data usage times. You can open up a browser and enter 192.168.1.1. This will bring you to the Admin site. You can also make sure your device is set to terminate your session after being idle for 30 minutes.

Here's a link with the steps for the power management: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=40677

Here's a link that shows how to reset the password: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=40672

I hope this helps! Let us know if you need any else!

Katie H

VZW Support

0 Likes
pzedoffatverizon
Enthusiast - Level 3

everyone who uses mifi has the same issue....Verizon is stealing on average 3gb per month of data from myself, and they have damaged my business with their poor service they steal from you every chance they get and laugh off your complaints.

the network data transfer rate i get is 7 kilobytes per second if im lucky and we have never been able to connect more than one device to the hotspot without that same 7 kbps being intermittently split between devices

step 1 . cancel your verizon service and find a better provider.

step 2. file all of the future bills from verizon in the proper waste receptacle where they belong..

step 3. enjoy a life with less frustration and more money!

0 Likes