MIFI 2200 3g unlimited plan
limo1464
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been with Verizon for data services back to the day when it was a PMCIA card, to a USB and now a MIFI.  Anyway I am still grandfathered into my Unlimitted Plan.  I am huge data user 10gb plus everymonth.  Never noticed a slow down period ever untill recently.  In fact I was streaming nice and fast this morning and then noticed some recently real slow speeds.  I checked my data usage and noticed I have gone over 5gb just this morning.

My question am I being toggled down after 5gb of usage?  If so when did this happen?  I know I never agreed to this.  I know verizon wants me to upgrade to 4g but then there is no unlimited plan and they want too much just for 10gb and like I said I go over that all the time.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MIFI 2200 3g unlimited plan
limo1464
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have decided that because I am a heavy user and that my Mifi has to be charged a lot,  I think that when the Mifi gets hot the speeds decrease.  So i have been keeping it plugged in to a minimum and it has been working great.  So with all my testing and observing that is what I am coming to a conclusion that the MIFI when it gets overheated by being plugged in speeds decrease. 

Thanks

Lance Ervin

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I don't believe Verizon throttles down speeds after using x data.  It might be more of an issue with the device or the local towers. If that is the case then your MiFi might have been knocked off 3G to a slower connection 2G/1x:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/367448#367448

Another thread I found would disagree and provides a counter point of view and supports the throttleing theory:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/461296#461296

Try the simple solutions such as rebooting the device, removing the battery, resetting the defaults.  Performance problems are normally temporary and will resolve themselves when conditions improve.

If possible try to share some statistics from www.speedtest.net.  Run the utility a few times to gather some averages both when your speeds are slow and fast so we can compare more scientifically.  Perception of speed is hard to translate, numbers tell us a lot more information.

Message was edited by: John Getzke

0 Likes
limo1464
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have done things like rebooting the device like you said before it did nothing.  This is something i have noticed in the last few months.   It does appear to be pretty good it was Yesterday It was frustrating because it didn't matter where I was I appeared slow.  I am in the car all the time I am a Limo driver so I use the device in different places all the time.

Now I just ran a speed test in Alexandria, VA near potomac yards.  I will test some other places and report them too

204mb/s for download and .74mb/s for download with .82ms for latency.

Washington DC in front of the Mandarin Hotel     .45mb/s download    .55mb/s upload with 136ms latency.

Sterling Va at Dulles Airport  .18mb/s download and .44mb/s upload with 143ms latency

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi limo1464!

We do value your loyalty with Verizon Wireless, and I want to ensure you get the most out of your device and our 3G network.

First, thanks to John Getzke for the great feedback & suggestions!

limo1464, were you able to get any success with data speeds after completing the steps John suggested?  If you're still experiencing slow speeds, please send me a Direct Message so I can further assist.

Thanks,

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
limo1464
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anthony thanks for your help.  i am not sure what is going on i get more slower speeds than fast speeds.  I thought you Verizon was throttle down but I am not so sure anymore but as you can see below on some of my speed test results you will see in many different places I am getting slow speeds

I have done things like rebooting the device like you said before it did nothing.  This is something i have noticed in the last few months.   It does appear to be pretty good it was Yesterday It was frustrating because it didn't matter where I was I appeared slow.  I am in the car all the time I am a Limo driver so I use the device in different places all the time.

Now I just ran a speed test in Alexandria, VA near potomac yards.  I will test some other places and report them too

204mb/s for download and .74mb/s for download with .82ms for latency.

Washington DC in front of the Mandarin Hotel     .45mb/s download    .55mb/s upload with 136ms latency.

Sterling Va at Dulles Airport  .18mb/s download and .44mb/s upload with 143ms latency

Washing DC Georgetown Ritz Carlton .74mb/s dowload and .55 mb/s upload with 85ms latency. 

The slower speeds I have noticed in the last three months or so.  I will be going nice and fast and then all over sudden getting crappy speeds again.  So not sure what is going on

Thanks

Lance Ervin

0 Likes
limo1464
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have decided that because I am a heavy user and that my Mifi has to be charged a lot,  I think that when the Mifi gets hot the speeds decrease.  So i have been keeping it plugged in to a minimum and it has been working great.  So with all my testing and observing that is what I am coming to a conclusion that the MIFI when it gets overheated by being plugged in speeds decrease. 

Thanks

Lance Ervin

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Excellent observation Lance,

I will add that I have had other instances where the MiFi performs poorly when overheated.  There was a case in the past where a user left his MiFi in his car during the day, I assume on the dash or somewhere next to a window.  As his car heated up so did his MiFi and when he returned to use the device it slowed to a crawl.  That user discovered that putting the MiFi up to the Air Conditioner was improving the performance which lead us to the conclusion about the overheating.

You could also try removing the battery from the MiFi and running off the AC/car/wall Adapter.  As with any mobile device the battery can heat up and add to performance problems.

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

limo1464 wrote:

I think that when the Mifi gets hot the speeds decrease.

I carry the MiFi in the side pocket of a backpack style laptop bag.

A couple of times I would just turn it on, and leave it in the pocket, usually with the top unzipped, but it got so hot that I decided that wasn't a good thing.

I usually plug it into the laptop, using it as a USB modem, now.  It still seems to get hot, but not as hot as charging and using WiFi.

--

Clarence

0 Likes