Backup Assistant Error Code: 10?
cakeplate

Ever since we got Gingerbread, my backup assistant hasn't been able to back up my contacts. I've looked all over in forums to see if anyone else has had error code 10, but the most common I find is 5. Error code 10 says that Backup Assistant cannot backup the contacts due to my android contact provider, but I'm not using GO Contacts or anything! I'm using stock android contact provider. I even uninstalled then reinstalled Backup Assistant, but it still won't work. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks so much in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Backup Assistant Error Code: 10?
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi cakeplate,

I use Backup Assistant to back up my contacts, as well as syncing my contacts using my Gmail account. Since I use both, I realize how important this is and I am happy to help. 

On your device, please press Menu, then Settings, then Accounts & Sync. You will see "Backup Assistant" in the middle of the screen. Please press "Backup Assistant" and on the next screen, make sure "Auto Sync" is checked. Press "Backup Now" and your contacts should sync with the device.

Here is a link that includes the device manual for the Charge, as well as a simulator, features, troubleshooting, and more. I'm sure you will find it helpful.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5642&m=

Please let us know how it works out for you, thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi cakeplate,

I use Backup Assistant to back up my contacts, as well as syncing my contacts using my Gmail account. Since I use both, I realize how important this is and I am happy to help. 

On your device, please press Menu, then Settings, then Accounts & Sync. You will see "Backup Assistant" in the middle of the screen. Please press "Backup Assistant" and on the next screen, make sure "Auto Sync" is checked. Press "Backup Now" and your contacts should sync with the device.

Here is a link that includes the device manual for the Charge, as well as a simulator, features, troubleshooting, and more. I'm sure you will find it helpful.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5642&m=

Please let us know how it works out for you, thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW

VZW Support

0 Likes
quirky173

I am having the same error issue and I completed the steps you outlined above and it is still not working.  Any other suggestions?  I cannot figure out how to uninstall and reinstall to see if that works.

Thanks!

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi quirky173,

In order for backup Assistant to work, you shouldn't need to uninstall, and then reinstall the application. Here are the steps from the previous post....

"On your device, please press Menu, then Settings, then Accounts & Sync. You will see "Backup Assistant" in the middle of the screen. Please press "Backup Assistant" and on the next screen, make sure "Auto Sync" is checked. Press "Backup Now" and your contacts should sync with the device."

When you try these steps, assuming you have the Droid Charge as well, please let me know at which step the sync did not work for you.

Did you previously have a device where you used Backup Assistant? If not, this could be the reason the sync is not working for you. Please post back with any updates.

Thank you!

Christina B

VZW Support

0 Likes
quirky173

I do have the Droid Charge - I have always had the Backup Assistant on my phones as well.  The Backup Assistant was working fine on this phone but stopped working a couple weeks ago. 

When I follow your instructions above, and hit "Back Up Now" - I get an error message that says "Sync Service Failed - Failed to Read Data from Android Contacts Provider".  I get the "Sync Error Code 10" daily when it tries to Auto Sync and says that its unable to sync.

Help?

0 Likes
cakeplate

This is exactly what happens with me as well. I previously had a Samsung Fascinate, but swapped it for this Droid Charge. I no longer have my Fascinate, as I had ti send it back to Verizon.

0 Likes
MountainGreg

I also have the DROID Charge and get a message "Sync service failed unknown error" windows each time I follow the steps provided.

Does anyone have a solution?

0 Likes
denisew
Enthusiast - Level 2

My backups started failing with the Gingerbread update too. The recommended fix isn't.

VERIZON - what is the status of this?

dtg2007

Hi Christina

After following the steps that you outlined, I clicked "back-up now" and still got this same error (Failed to Read Data from Android Contacts Provider). My previous device did use Backup Assistant, but my Charge's BUA worked fine until a few months ago. Can you please get back to us on the status of this issue?

Thanks

0 Likes
giterdone

Having the same problem. Woke up to all my contacts gone for no apparent reason. Getting the same error messages. Backup assistant will not work. Desperately need some help!!

0 Likes