5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2012 11:09 AM by AnthonyTa_VZW RSS

Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi Connection

daystrom5

Hello,

I just gave my wife a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Christmas and she loves it.  The issue we are having with it is that I can connect to the Verizon network but not my home network.  It takes my network password but then just continuously says "Obtaining IP Address..." but will not connect.  Also, I have my laptop sitting next to me and it shows full connection bars but the tablet only shows 1 bar.  Is there a setting I am missing someplace?

Tablet Information

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G LTE

Android Version 3.1

Network Information

Security Mode: WPA/WPA2-Personal(PSK)

Wireless mode: 11+b+g+n

Thanks

• 1. Re: Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi Connection
          AnthonyTa_VZW

Hello daystrom5!

I know it's aggravating not being able to connect to your WiFi network with your Galaxy Tab.  I would like to assist with getting you connected.

I would like to suggest a few troubleshooting steps.  First, disable the mobile network data.  Then, I would like for you to turn "ON" WiFi.  Last, follow these steps to correctly Setup the WiFi Connection.  Just ensure the appropriate authentication protocol is set, matching the WiFi security protocol of your home WiFi network.  You should now be able to connect to your home WiFi network.

Please let me know how this works out for you.

Thanks,

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

• 2. Re: Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi Connection
            daystrom5

Hi AnthonyTa_VZW,

I tried everything that you mentioned above but it still only syas "Obtaining IP Address from <my network ID>...>" and then finally gives up and disables again.  I I even tried changing my router to only use "b" for the wireless mode to see if that was the problem but still no luck.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi Connection
              AnthonyTa_VZW

Thanks for the update daystrom5!

Have you tried the WiFi connection on your Galaxy Tab with a different WiFi network/hotspot, other than your home network?  Please tell me if you're able to connect to a different WiFi network.

Thanks again,

AnthonyTa_VZW

• 4. Re: Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi Connection
                daystrom5

My wife just took it to the hospital today and was able to connect to their WiFi.  So that tells me it is an issue between the tablet and my router.  It takes the passcode for connecting to the network without any problem, it just won't get the tablet an IP address.

My router is a Belkin N1 Wireless Router (F5D8231-4) and it is set up to give me 98 addresses in my IP pool.  Currently I only have 8 devices connecting through the wireless and they all work just fine.

So what could I be missing?  Do you need any more information that could help?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi Connection
                  AnthonyTa_VZW

Hello daystrom5!

I'm glad we were able to pin-point the cause of the connection issue.  You being able to connect to another WiFi network confirms that the WiFi feature on your Tab works properly, and confirms that the issue is with the settings between your Tab and your WiFi provider.  Just ensure the WiFi security settingsmatch those that are required from your home WiFi network.  For additional support for these settings, please refer to your home WiFi network provider.

Thanks again,

AnthonyTa_VZW