Dead Zones
susanjs

I am still astounded that I am living in a dead zone.  For over two years, my signal was great.  Then Verizon decided to rotate it's tower "just a bit"  which put me and my area into a dead zone.  In order to keep using Verizon, I was forced to buy a network booster ($200), which sort of helps, but still drops calls as the signal fades.

This "solution" - me buying a piece of equipment - to be able to use my cell phone at home or in the area was combined with over two months of not being able to hold onto calls as techs tried to figure out why the signal was gone.  But, did Verizon apologize and not charge me for those months?  Nope...

You need to change your commercials!  I just snort when I hear them - you have as many or more dead zones than any other company and you don't warn your customers that they are about to get a really rude shock!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Dead Zones
Lightninrod
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm going to assume that the rep asked you to call *228 and choose option 2?  That will update your PRL.

From VZW:

Updating Preferred Roaming List(PRL)

Verizon Wireless is constantly advancing its roaming technology to provide you with superior roaming capabilities. By updating your PRL every few weeks, you can be sure you have access to our enhancements. As a result you may experience:

• Longer battery life
  • Fewer dropped or blocked calls
  • Clear, crisp connections in more areas across the United States
  • Ability to connect to the digital network in more parts of the country

Instructions for updating your PRL:

1. Power on your phone within any Verizon Wireless digital service area.
  2. Dial *228 and then press SEND (this call is airtime free).
  3. When prompted, press option 2 to update your phone's roaming capabilities
    (the update may take up to 2 minutes).
  4. Once completed, a confirmation message will appear to inform you that your phone has been re-programmed with the new PRL.
0 Likes
prea

I too, have had nothing but headaches with dropped calls ever since switching to Verizon.

Everytime I call customer support...after long waits, I am told to dial *228...which in my situtation

changes nothing.  When I went with Verizon as a provider, the coverage maps and the ads on

television about "the network" was what convinced me.  I should have stayed with the other

provider.  Thus far, a ticket has been initiated and upgraded in terms of priority three times.

Also...thus far, nothing has been done about the ticket.  One of my phones was replaced,

but the problem remains.  I have been told that Verizon will not be responsible for dropped

calls if they happen inside of  your home...which is ridiculous.  How many people would choose

to use wireless phones if they were useless as soon as you got home at night. 

So, now I'm stuck with a contract that is worthless and lots of empty promises about how they will

do whatever it takes to rectifiy the situation.   I am beginning to think the only solution is for

Verizon to man up and admit that in spite of their maps, that coverage is marginal where I live

and release me from my  contract so I can go back to a carrier that has no problem getting

a signal into my house.

0 Likes
NJAnalyst
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon Wireless coverage maps are misleading.  Many areas that are marginal signal areas show up as solid red or strong signal areas.  I live in NJ which according to the map is "solid red" in most places but in reality there are numerous dead spots.  Other carriers, show gaps is their coverage which I believe is a more accurate representation than Verizon maps. Verizon should update their coverage maps to accurately represent their true coverage,

0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
Take the maps with a grain of salt. No carrier will EVER cover 100% of the United States. This is why all (most?) carriers offer the trial period. If signal strength is reduced mid-contract, you most definitely have a reason to fight for your rights and terminate the contract based on lack of service.
0 Likes
MAX658
Enthusiast - Level 3

You was saying that you had a great signal for two years ,, then Verizon decided to rotate it's tower "just a bit" and that put you in to a dead zone ...

I an not say your wrong , when you say that Verizon decided to rotate it's tower "just a bit", but just pointing out some other thing it might be .

have you gotten a new phone about the time you came in to this ( dead zone ) ? if so it Might not be there tower it might be your phone ,, some phones do not pick up a cell signal as good as others will do , If this is the case ,, try your old phone and check the signal you get with it..

Also was any new power lines put up some where around your area that might effect your service or has any trees groan bigger over time , they can help block out a cell signal as well...

I am thinking it might be your phone or phones ,, only because you said you have a network booster ( Extender ) , but still drops calls as the signal fades..

You can think of the network booster ( Extender ) as your own {miniature cell tower } in your home.

I believe the network Extender is only good for about 500 hunger yards or feet ,, thus you signal will fade as you move out to far from it.

Also from what I under stand the network booster, is a bit like VOIP ( Voice Over Internet ) your cell signal goo's to your ( box ) ( network Extender )

then from the network Extender ---> Over the Internet , then to a Verizon cell Tower -- well more like a Verizon cell phone switch ->

then to a land line , or back to another cell phone ....

It has relay has nothing to do with how close or how far away you are to a "real cell tower" seeing you call is going over the Internet ----- like I said....

How ever ,, if you don’t have a good hi speed Internet service ,, this can give you poor voice service.

On the other side of things :

If you know for 100% and have proof , that Verizon rotate it's tower , putting you in to a dead zone , and the Co. " forced you to buy a network booster (Extender) .

I contact a lay ferm of your choice and see about getting out of your contract , I not waste my time on the phone with them or in this chat room ..

As to any cell phone Co. and dead zones

most all Co. have them, I just gave sprint a try out my self , and there map is not quite what is should be 

so I had some dead zones with them as well ,,but I must say there voice quality was much better than Verizon's however they

do not have the covers area Verizon does , where I am at ..

0 Likes