8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 1:13 PM by rockysangel RSS

Text message plans

Scott1643

Hi folks,

I don't have the time to scroll through all of the posts in these boards, so I apologize in advance if my question is a repeat.

I currently have the $9.99/mo text plan for unlimited M2M, and 500 out of network text messages.  I reviewed Verizon's choices of text plans, and I see one with 1,000 messages for the same price, $10/mo as I'm paying now.

I want to be clear as to what that means before I decide to upgrade to the option.  Is the 1,000 messages a total combined allowed M2M AND out of network?  I only assume it is, as the 500 out of network plan is the same price, and why would Verizon charge the same price for double the amount of texts.

The other plans specifically mention M2M usage as well as out of network usage for the specific price.  This one is the only one that doesn't, which is why I'm writing here today.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

• 1. Re: Text message plans
          Tidbits

Scott1643 wrote:

Hi folks,

I don't have the time to scroll through all of the posts in these boards, so I apologize in advance if my question is a repeat.

I currently have the $9.99/mo text plan for unlimited M2M, and 500 out of network text messages.  I reviewed Verizon's choices of text plans, and I see one with 1,000 messages for the same price, $10/mo as I'm paying now.

I want to be clear as to what that means before I decide to upgrade to the option.  Is the 1,000 messages a total combined allowed M2M AND out of network?  I only assume it is, as the 500 out of network plan is the same price, and why would Verizon charge the same price for double the amount of texts.

The other plans specifically mention M2M usage as well as out of network usage for the specific price.  This one is the only one that doesn't, which is why I'm writing here today.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

That is correct.  It's TOTAL amount of text messages you can do.  Whether picture/video, or regular texts.

There's a difference.  Verizon to Verizon if you have a lot of friends on Verizon is a BETTER deal.  For example my work place we are all Verizon customers with Verizon.  I could use 2700 text messages a month with the inner workings we have going.  We pay $10 vs.  If we had just 1,000 text we'd pay 1700 in overages.  If you don't have very many friends on Verizon that you text to, and use less than more than 500, but less than 1,000 then it would be better off getting the 1,000.

• 2. Re: Text message plans
            rcschnoor

Tidbits,

Are you sure that the CURRENT $10/1000 text plan has unlimited Verizon to Verizon messaging? Have you added this plan recently?

I ask this because the pricing scheme has recently changed for texting plans/allowances and they have removed the wording which states "unlimited Verizon to Verizon" from the plan description. Since they have removed this wording, I would at least be careful on your texting for the 1st month until you can be sure that you will not incur any overages?

Edit: After rereading your message, I understand that the current plan you are on has unlimited M2M, but not the 1000 text plan.

• 3. Re: Text message plans
              Scott1643

rcschnoor,

Thats what I'm trying to figure out.  Most of the people on my contact list are with Verizon, and only about 3 people that I text the most are not with Verizon, and I text them on a constant basis.  I usually run about 475-525 out of network texts a month on average, and less than 100 texts within the Verizon network in that same month, on average.  It would be nice to see a plan with unlimited Verizon to Verizon AND 1,000 (or even 750 for that matter) out of network.  Maybe the 1,000 a month combined messages would work best for me anyways.

I'll have to go through my backlogs and see how many messages I do actually send and receive and determine whether it's better off to go with the 1,000 for $10/mo.

Thanks guys for the help!

• 4. Re: Text message plans
                Tidbits
                Best to look at it before you switch. They did have a 5000 + v2v for $20 which the company I work for had initially then we realized the 500 was better as we use these phones for business only. Though SMS will be outdated soon. At some point in see everyone owns a smartphone and there will be no minutes or a text plan. Everything will run off data.
                • 5. Re: Text message plans
                  daredevil1

There's no m2m anymore. 1,000 is 1,000, period. Once you switch, you can't go back. I found out the hard way. I think a lot of people are going to be **bleep** about overages. I don't know why you don't just call Verizon and ask. A lot faster than waiting for a correct answer on here.

• 6. Re: Text message plans
                    AntonioC_VZW

Hi Tidbits, and thank you for your input on this text messaging package forum.

I would like to clarify for all our forum members that the new $10/1000 text message package does not include unlimited M2M (Verizon Wireless to Verizon Wireless). Every text message sent and received will count towards the 1000 messages and any message sent or received beyond the 1000 allotment will be billed at $0.10.

Customers with $10/500/UnlimitedM2M text messaging package are not affected as long as they keep this package; however, customers choosing to replace the $10/500/UnlimitedM2M with the $10/1000 package will not be able to get previous messaging package in the future as the $10/500/UnlimitedM2m package has been retired.

I trust that the above information clears any confusion surrounding the new text message package.

• 7. Re: Text message plans
                      SuzyQ

AntonioC_VZW wrote:

I would like to clarify for all our forum members that the new $10/1000 text message package does not include unlimited M2M (Verizon Wireless to Verizon Wireless). Every text message sent and received will count towards the 1000 messages and any message sent or received beyond the 1000 allotment will be billed at $0.10.

Customers with $10/500/UnlimitedM2M text messaging package are not affected as long as they keep this package; however, customers choosing to replace the $10/500/UnlimitedM2M with the $10/1000 package will not be able to get previous messaging package in the future as the $10/500/UnlimitedM2m package has been retired.

I trust that the above information clears any confusion surrounding the new text message package.

I'm glad we are on the F&F unlimited for all lines Talk & Text - no worries about overages...

i would hate to have to count text messages.....

But for some 250 or 1000 may work - the choices now are pay by the message, bundles of 250, 1000, or unlimited....with no distinction between carriers - a text is a text....am I understanding this correctly?

• 8. Re: Text message plans
                        rockysangel

I just found out that you cannot switch back but my complaint is it 4 phone calls and speaking to a rude supervisor before i was told that!!