6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2011 2:36 AM by KathiMR RSS

What if you are on contract & move out of the area or even out of the country for a time?

KathiMR

I'm just wondering. My win mob 6.5 phone is not working very well. It freezes, the alarms have 5 alarms when only 1 was set & sometimes they seem to not even go off. Previously they would go off even when turned off--didn't seem to make a difference.  Sometimes it is really slow to open an email, etc. & this one was a replacement for the Touch Pro 2 which wasn't working right.

So at any rate, I need to get a new one before long & want another smart phone--a reliable one this time. I would like to get the iPhone 4S I think.

I'm eligible for an upgrade, although when I used the upgrade fundtion & looked at the iPhone 4S, it just showed the 2 yr price--it didn't show my New Every 2 discount.

In addition, I'm not sure what  my long term plans are.  I'm not planning on moving anywhere real soon, but it is possible that I might be moving out of the area before 2 years are up or maybe not. Or I might even go overseas for awhile.

So what happens if you are on a 2 year contract & move out of the area either permanently or out of the country for months or more? btw, before these smart phone fiascos, I kept my last previous basic LG flip phone for about 5 years because it just worked.

• 1. Re: What if you are on contract & move out of the area or even out of the country for a time?
          spottedcatfish

I'm pretty sure you can use your New Every 2 credit with the iPhone, do you see the discount when you look at other phones?

As far as what happens if you move, you are still bound by your contract.  Verizon policy says that moving to an area without coverage is not grounds for ending the contract without an Early Termination Fee.  The only exception is military personnel with orders to relocate or deploy.

You'll have two options if you move to an area without service.  You can either pay the Early Termination Fee (it will be $350 less $10 for each month of service completed if you upgrade to a smartphone), or you could suspend your line.  If you suspend without billing, your contract will be put on hold (so those months won't count toward the 24 months of your contract).  If you suspend with billing, you'll continue to be billed, but you won't be able to use the phone.  This may be a good option if you are near the end of your contract and it is cheaper to pay the remaining months of service rather than the ETF.

• 2. Re: What if you are on contract & move out of the area or even out of the country for a time?
            KathiMR

So what if its a different Verizon region? You just move & keep your contract if there is service?

& if you suspend without bllling, is there a time limit on that?

Of course they should give you credit for months when you could get a new phone but keep the old one. Before this period just ending (which because they messed up & called a replacement an upgrade & put me on a new 2 yr contract when all along I said no, when I got that taken off & then corrected the upgrade date (originally it was supposed to be 12/2011 & they had changed it to 12/2012) rather than reset it back to the original they reset it to when I got the replacement phone or actually a few months later so I think the contract end date was in July. But now I wlll be up to when my original upgrade date should have been. Well actually I guess they allow you to upgrade maybe 22 mo or so into a contract or they used to.

My previous phone before this 2 yr period I kept the phone for 5 years. The phone before that which was also a flip phone, the hinge broke at least a couple of mo before I was eligible for upgrade so I had it taped together.

I didn't look at other phones & I don't know what their 2 yr contract price would be.

• 3. Re: What if you are on contract & move out of the area or even out of the country for a time?

KathiMR wrote:

So what if its a different Verizon region? You just move & keep your contract if there is service?

& if you suspend without bllling, is there a time limit on that?

KathiMR, thank you for inquiry and thanks spottedcatfish for assisting. If you move to a different Verizon region then you would keep your same contract. You would change your address on your account so your bills are sent to the correct location, but there would be no changes on your contract. The maximum time to suspend without billing is 90 days, and you can do this twice within 12 months. 

• 4. Re: What if you are on contract & move out of the area or even out of the country for a time?
                pioneer903

What if I permanently moving to different country and I will not be able to use my service there?

• 5. Re: What if you are on contract & move out of the area or even out of the country for a time?
                  rcschnoor

pioneer903 wrote:

What if I permanently moving to different country and I will not be able to use my service there?

You will still be under contract and obligated to fullfill the terms of the contract.

Your best option would be to cancel and pay the ETF which would be $350 less $10 for each month of the contract which you have completed for smartphones(half of this total for basic phones). This would be the least expensive option, unless you are on a Family Plan with others and are just paying $10/month as your line charge on the Family Plan.

You could also see if you have any friends who would like to take over your line of service and do an Assumption of Liability for your line.

• 6. Re: What if you are on contract & move out of the area or even out of the country for a time?
                    KathiMR

Thanks for the replies. & I just ordered the iPhone 4S yesterday. I was hoping that I could just go in to my local Verizon store & buy it, but they said ship date would be 12-22 (or possibly sooner, but that's what its listed as).  & the rep I spoke to on the phone was able to find the notes from someone I talked to last Summer that showed that I am eligible. It was not showing up in the computer, I guess because of the mess Verizon made of the replacement on my previous defective phone, treating it instead as an upgrade until they finally mostly corrected it, although it ended up with me not on contract--after I had to call them again since they had put my upgrade date as Dec 2012 when it was supposed to be Dec 2011.

But I am a bit concerned going forward that I should still be eligible for the New Every 2 from when I originally signed up--not sure just how that works. It used to be $100/off & they saved $ on my previous contract terms as I kept the phone for 5 yrs.

So this time hopefully everything will work out ok. & I'm looking forward to finally having a reliable smart phone that will last as long as the contract does. Those 2 Win mobile 6.3/5 phones sure didn't last.