1 2 Previous Next 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2011 4:32 PM by cparr88 RSS

Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.

wayne91875

I have a family plan with 4 telephone line and to be quite honest I am consistently late between 10 days to 14 days every month,  Never letting it lapse over to the next billing cycle,.  I have been in contract for over two years, pay over 3000 dollars a year,and have never been suspended for non payment or anything like that.  So just last month on the 10th day of the bill being past due , verizon shuts off all 4 phone lines.  I freak out and call them angry because I feel they should have at least given me a courtesy call to let me know I was in danger of being shut off.  I pay the bill immediately and the phones are reconnected .  I was still angry but at the end of the day I am late and I accept that.  Now,  I have another Verizon account that I let lapse 30 - 40 days month after month without any disconnect or suspension of service.

So , now my next bill comes in and I find that it goes from the usual $250, to almost $300 dollars.  Immediately I start ranting and raving at my kid thinking she ran up the bill.    Well it turns out for being the loyal customer, always paying my bill slightly late, in addition to the $5 dollar late fee that they collect, they now have charged me $15.00 a line reconnect fee equaling $60.00 more dollars.

I am shocked that I am being charged for what I believe while being late on my payment,   didn't think Verizon did what it could to avoid the suspension.  Now I ask why is it I got shut off after 10 days????   And why is it my other line I can pay 45 days late month after month with out penalty.

I called Verizon to voice my concerns and the best they could due was drop the reconnect fee on 2 lines.  I am at a loss for words because there seems to be a new billing practice or selective suspension depending on what criteria I would like to know.  I thought they would have looked at the bill and see that I always pay, and I spend enough money and  they would waive the fees and warn me of what the policies were, but no such luck.......................

• 1. Re: Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.
          spottedcatfish

You're late every month and you're surprised Verizon finally suspended you?  It sounds like Verizon has offered you a great deal of leniency and courtesy in NOT suspending your lines regularly, and you finally have enough late payments to trip something in their system.  Perhaps you did something to make them consider you a higher risk for non-payment, or perhaps they simply refined their policies on suspending service, but they're not required to spell their proprietary policies in detail to their customers.  All they have to tell us is that we are at risk of being suspended any time we pay late and be clear about what amount is due, when it is due, and what it is for.  

The fact that after all of this they also waived 2 of the reconnect fees is astonishing to me.  You really ought to be here singing the praises of their customer service.  I know of no other company that would let me pay 2 weeks late EVERY month for 2 years without telling me they no longer wanted my business and cutting me off entirely.

I think now would be a great time to figure out why you consistently pay late and do something to address that.  You can change the due date on your bill so it will land at a more convenient time for your finances, and Verizon also allows you to change your plan at any time, so you could adjust your usage and then select plan that's more within your budget if that's the issue.

Good luck in the future, I sincerely hope you don't treat all of your bills this way.

• 2. Re: Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.
            droidsw

wayne91875 wrote:

I have a family plan with 4 telephone line and to be quite honest I am consistently late between 10 days to 14 days every month,  Never letting it lapse over to the next billing cycle,.  I have been in contract for over two years, pay over 3000 dollars a year,and have never been suspended for non payment or anything like that.  So just last month on the 10th day of the bill being past due , verizon shuts off all 4 phone lines.  I freak out and call them angry because I feel they should have at least given me a courtesy call to let me know I was in danger of being shut off.  I pay the bill immediately and the phones are reconnected .  I was still angry but at the end of the day I am late and I accept that.  Now,  I have another Verizon account that I let lapse 30 - 40 days month after month without any disconnect or suspension of service.

So , now my next bill comes in and I find that it goes from the usual $250, to almost $300 dollars.  Immediately I start ranting and raving at my kid thinking she ran up the bill.    Well it turns out for being the loyal customer, always paying my bill slightly late, in addition to the $5 dollar late fee that they collect, they now have charged me $15.00 a line reconnect fee equaling $60.00 more dollars.

I am shocked that I am being charged for what I believe while being late on my payment,   didn't think Verizon did what it could to avoid the suspension.  Now I ask why is it I got shut off after 10 days????   And why is it my other line I can pay 45 days late month after month with out penalty.

I called Verizon to voice my concerns and the best they could due was drop the reconnect fee on 2 lines.  I am at a loss for words because there seems to be a new billing practice or selective suspension depending on what criteria I would like to know.  I thought they would have looked at the bill and see that I always pay, and I spend enough money and  they would waive the fees and warn me of what the policies were, but no such luck.......................

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stats on my User page say I have viewed over 10,000 pages since I joined this forum.

Your post takes the cake.

• 3. Re: Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.
              kirby777
              Couldn't have said it better. Once you pass your bill cycle date you can be shut off.
              • 4. Re: Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.
                vereyezuhn
                Read this post up to the part where you said you have a child, and my jaw dropped. Grow up.
                • 5. Re: Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.
                  SuzyQ
                  Dittos on what spotted catfish said. And droidsw.

Why do people knowingly pay late, consistently no less, month after month, then complain when consequences hit? I, too, am surprised that action wasn't taken sooner.
                  • 6. Re: Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.

Hello Wayne91875!

As everyone in the community has stated, your service can be interrupted anytime your service is past due, whether that be 1 day or 40 days. This is handled by an automated system and not a single person picking and choosing who to interrupt. If your service is interrupted due to non-payment, a suspend fee of $15/line will apply and is a valid charge. If you are unable to make your payment when it is due, I suggest contacting our Financial Services team at 866-266-1445 or by dialing #PMT to notify us of a pending payment. 

• 7. Re: Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.
                      harleybrat49

I think that's ridiculous !!! I don't care if you were 10 days late, a notice would have been expected as far as IM concerned. Something is going on with Verizon anyway, BC I too have been a customer for 3 yr & they called me last Friday night at 8pm.  to say I needed to pay my bill & it wasn't due till the next day !!!!  Seriously ??? It was an insult & I had 5 out of town guest sitting there to hear this conversation ... But when my contract is up in January Im not going to renew, Verizon is to high. What I'm paying for 1 phone I can get service for 2 elsewhere. I can & will beat there price & go to another company...

Maybe you should too

I know others that are doing the same .....

• 8. Re: Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.
                        Toyota4x4van

{please keep your posts courteous}

pay your bills on time.  If you refuse, then don't complain when a company takes legitimate action.

• 9. Re: Suspended service 10 days after bill was due.
                          cparr88

The way that Verizon does their suspension is not based on how long it was not paid for. It is based on your payment history as well. Obviously when you are late every month, they are going to take action and suspend your lines. If you continue being late on the other account, you will also experience the suspension of service. If you know you are going to pay the bill, why not just pay it one time?!

1 2 Previous Next