Phone storage space is getting low - NO it's not.
prg38

I have twice now rec'd this message, first time I took it in and they showed me to clear cache, I uninstalled some apps. but now 2 weeks later I'm getting the message,  I have 1.84 total space and 1.78 available on the SD card, 6.46 total and 5.64 available internal.  748mb total  and 527 available total memeory.  Went to my local verizon store again yesterday.  They advised a factory reset...What??  Is there any other solution?

And second question, how do I do this and not lose my contacts, are they stored on the SD?

0 Likes
Re: Phone storage space is getting low - NO it's not.
skippybowls
Go to people, menu, import/export, save to sd card. As for a hard reset, I am just ignoring the notice and somewhat patiently waiting for a fix from HTC soon!
0 Likes
brooklynotss
Enthusiast - Level 1

wipe the cache partition (his will not delete your data or apps):

Boot into recovery

1. Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    2. When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  1. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
  2. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
  3. When the Green Arrows and\or triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  4. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it (power button).
  5. Select "Reboot system now"
Now you have enough space to download and install the additional update. Verizon released 2 updates for the HTC Incredible, I'm guessing you only got one. Go to Settings> About Phone> Software> Build - 4.06 right? there is a 4.08 that (allegedly) resolves this Low on Space problem.
To get that update immediately (recommend connecting to WiFi for the download):
  • Go to Settings> Date\Time> Uncheck Automatic and manually set your clock ahead 1 month
  • Then go to Settings> About Phone> System Updates and it should be there waiting for you.
  • follow the prompts, it'll take about 10 minutes.
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

Read the post on link below. Explains what the internal storage that the error message refers to is.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Incredible-by-HTC/HTC-Incredible-Phone-Storage-Explained-sheds-som...

The best way to avoid this issue is to check on apps that use up a lot of "data" storage when you look at the application details under Manage Applications. Go to Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage Applications. Then tap any application to see how much app storage, data storage and cache storage your app is using.

If you primarily sync with google contacts or exchange contacts, or have phone contacts and use verizon backup assistant, then you should check out the size of your Contacts Storage. Over time this can grow a lot, and if you "clear data" on it, it will rebuild itself and the size will be much smaller. HOWEVER remember, DONT do clear storage on contacts storage if you use phone contacts and have not backed up your contacts.

Also look at Google Maps, HTC Gallery App, HTC Mail App, Market App. For all of these the Cache has a potential to grow a lot. So clearing these helps. 

Also try and see if there are any bookmarks that you can delete in the Browser. Clearing Browser cache and history will also help.

0 Likes
jennster
Enthusiast - Level 3

i keep getting the PHONE STORAGE LOW/LOW ON SPACE message as well.

my cache is CONSTANTLY cleared. 

my internet browser cache is CONSTANTLY cleared.

i am not low-  and did not get this message prior to getting the latest update.

now, no matter what i do on my phone, it won't go away.

since the latest, last, update- my battery life has improved tons (thank god).... but this is the one issue i can't get to clear, or fix, or go away completely.

0 Likes
jennster
Enthusiast - Level 3

holy cow! 

okay... i had 4.06 and i did what you said- set the clock ahead one month and went into settings and it is now updating my software to the 4.08.605.2 !!!  cool!

hopefully this will fix the issue!  thank you! :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
jennster
Enthusiast - Level 3

i'm baaack!  lol.. i got the update to download, but it refuses to install.  battery level is fine, it just gets stuck on the waiting to install screen and never fully does.  i've tried to restart the phone, but when i check the software, it's back on 4.06 even though it's tried to install the 4.08 three times now.

i just can't get it to really install it.  😕

0 Likes
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you to the community for your replies. Several of these suggestions have fixed several users update problems.

Hello jennster

The software update should not be this hard. I can't imagine how upset I would be after all the steps you have already completed. I have another way to fix this that I've had tremendous success with,  please try a hard reset. Here's a link to the reset.

Please back up the device first. Once the device has been programmed please search for the software update. Menu> Settings> about phone> System updates.

Please let me know if this helps

Thank you

0 Likes
jennster
Enthusiast - Level 3

i really would like to avoid a factory reset of my phone if at all possible.  i don't enjoy losing EVERYTHING on my phone.  i have it there for a reason. 

0 Likes
mtosti

I am having the same issue.

I peformed the procedure to clear the cache, and the 4.08 update downloaded.

When it rebooted to install it, it failed saying there is not enough space to install the update.

WHat do you suggest?

I have plenty of room on the internal storage, and SD card.  I do have the icon saying low on space.

Thanks 

0 Likes