MiFi 4510L freezing
daman

my mifi keeps freezing I have done the updates and I have to keep taking the battery out now to reset it any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4510L freezing
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I dont have any specific advice for MiFi freezing.  Chances are there is a more common issue happening that is giving you the impression that your device is frozen.  I suggest starting with the basics and reporting back any new evidence.

Common solutions:

1. Update firmware to 2.23

2. Lower your MiFi to B/G down from B/G/N

3. Lower your MiFi to 3G only connections

4. Reset your MiFi to the defaults

5. Reseat your SIM card

6. Attach an external Antenna

7. Purchase a car booster kit from Wilson Electronics

8. Power down your MiFi when not in use

9. Store your MiFi in an area where it is not exposed to extreme heat or cold

10. Try different locations and look for consistencies or gaps in service

11. Replace the MiFi under warranty

We are working on a "freezing" issue in another thread.  Feel free to take a peek and see if your symptoms match:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-Devices/MiFi-4510L-Firmware-Update-2-23/m-p/727751#M75...

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

Damon if at all possible (within 14 day grace period) return the device and cancel service.  As Botb said most likely you are seeing the problem that has plagued Verizon 4G since day one of release.  If they haven't fixed it in almost a year, chances are, they aren't going to.

0 Likes
flrver2

So right, I have had a UML290, USB551l and the 4510l and now when I call in for support I am told for a reliable connection lock the device into 3g. I have 11 months left on my contract. I hope that AT&Ts 4g LTE works. Verizon's does not.

0 Likes
ocean_pilot

John_Getzke wrote:

I dont have any specific advice for MiFi freezing.  Chances are there is a more common issue happening that is giving you the impression that your device is frozen.  I suggest starting with the basics and reporting back any new evidence.

Common solutions:

5. Reseat your SIM card

We are working on a "freezing" issue in another thread.  Feel free to take a peek and see if your symptoms match:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-Devices/MiFi-4510L-Firmware-Update-2-23/m-p/727751#M75...

Just to clarify again .....  the only problem I'm getting with 2.23 firmware is on battery power only when a 4G signal is acquired upon device bootup ...... the device appears to lock or "freeze up" as a hard lock.  The device can NOT be logged into.  It requires pulling the battery,  plugging to wall power, pressing on/off button two times to power down.  It then will continue to operate normally.  This does not occur with acquisition of a 3G signal on bootup.  Things appear to operate normally in that mode.   These will become more evident I think.

Seems tome to be the other issues such as occasional sloooooooow website navigation and "going to sleep" are more likely network problems with Verizons 4G LTE system.  It may be too much traffic on some nodes .... could also be a growing bandwidth problem.

The USB for power function appears to work properly on device bootup in either 4G or 3G mode, which is good.

I'm now trying to connect with a Verizon store that has a new unit with 2.23 installed to verify is verified a firmware problem and not a device. problem.

Hope to do that today.

Any more input always appreciated ......

Thx ..... Cheers

0 Likes
ocean_pilot

ocean_pilot wrote:

John_Getzke wrote:

Common solutions:

5. Reseat your SIM card

Just to clarify again .....  the only problem I'm getting with 2.23 firmware is on battery power only when a 4G signal is acquired upon device bootup ...... the device appears to lock or "freeze up" as a hard lock.  The device can NOT be logged into.  It requires pulling the battery,  plugging to wall power, pressing on/off button two times to power down.  It then will continue to operate normally.  This does not occur with acquisition of a 3G signal on bootup.  Things appear to operate normally in that mode.   These will become more evident I think.

Seems tome to be the other issues such as occasional sloooooooow website navigation and "going to sleep" are more likely network problems with Verizons 4G LTE system.  It may be too much traffic on some nodes .... could also be a growing bandwidth problem.

The USB for power function appears to work properly on device bootup in either 4G or 3G mode, which is good.

I'm now trying to connect with a Verizon store that has a new unit with 2.23 installed to verify is verified a firmware problem and not a device. problem.

Hope to do that today.

Any more input always appreciated ......

Thx ..... Cheers

UPDATE

OK ......

Went in on Saturday to the Verizon store.  Got some help to look at the problem.  Took a netbook to demonstrate the problem.

Reproduced the problem.   The store got a new Novatel 4510L out and replaced my device.  But it did not have the 2.23

firmware, so the only way to test would be to install 2.23 again.  The device had Version 2.16.07 installed but it booted right up in 4G and worked OK on battery, which was 3/4 full charge.  There were no dropped signals while working with the device which was for about 1/2 hour.

We discussed trying to download and install the 2.23 version again but thought better of it at this time.  After about 1/2 hour and the Verizon help talking to their tech support people, I suggested that spending more time on it right now in the store on that was probably not a good idea.  It was crowded and there were a lot of distractions.  I said I would work with it at home and see how it performed and if it works OK unless a problem develops, I'll wait for a while for a better chance for another firmware upgrade to try and improve the odds the bugs are worked out like the one I experienced.  So I'll just have to do without the ability to use USB for power for a while.  I do believe the device is a keeper though.

I've tested the 2.16.07 version on the device for the rest of Saturday 11/19/11 and Sunday 11/2011 without problems popping out.  It seems to be working fine right now as is.  So we shall see, so far so good .... I'm sticking with this version until later.  The only change I have made is to connect in 4GLTE mode.  When I pulled the charger, it wanted to come up in battery power  in 3G mode at the time, so I rebooted it with 4GLTE specifiec setting and the MiFi found it OK.

So we have right now:

Router FW Version 02.01

AP FW Version 2.10-3.0.0.5

Modem FW Version 2.16.07

Cheers .......

0 Likes
daman

i have found if i keep it plugged in after doing the changes seems to work good i lose connection every now and then but for a short period

0 Likes
wherder
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am almost ALWAYS plugged in to the AC adapter.  I'd say more than 95% of the time.  However, I constantly experience the "dormant" or "freezing" issues.  I have since day 1, after updating firmware, after swapping out the device, after every conceivable potential change. 

Verizon does not appear to have either the will nor the means to correct this core defect which plagues users and has not been addressed.  Further, Verizon denies the issue time after time.  I've spent more than 30 hours on the phone so far with their "support" and each and every time I call, I'm initially told that this is "strange" and that they've "never heard of this issue before". 

Verizon has really dropped the ball on this issue, and IMHO has destroyed their reputation.  I spend quite a bit of money through Verizon and this situation has forced me to move to another provider at my earliest opportunity.  Their solution of me downgrading to 3G service but refusing to let me out of a contract after a ridiculously large number of calls is the height of arrogance.  I can honestly find no redeeming value in any part of how Verizon has - and continues to - handle this situation.  I'm OK with working with a provider to resolve technical issues.  I'm not OK with being lied to, misled, etc.  I have absolute, concrete, proof that this is exactly what Verizon has done in at least my case.

0 Likes