IMAP Settings for Army Knowledge Online (AKO) Email
DCZim

I had significant trouble initially setting up my AKO email on my Bionic.  Now it works like a charm.

There are numerous settings floating around various forums.  Each Android device's email settings look a little different.  Here's what worked for my Bionic. 

Note that you can't necessarily use the settings from your AKO Outlook setup on your home computer for your Bionic's AKO email.  In some instances they are slightly different. 

Additionally, when setting up this AKO account on your Bionic I highly recommend you connect using the Bionic's 3G/4G connection (not WiFi) as in some cases using the WiFi confuses the device (and the device's owner when the device repeatedly generates error messages).  I successfully set up AKO email on my Bionic's native email app (not K9 or some other 3rd party app) using the following steps/settings:

1.  From the Bionic's home screen, touch the App button (icon with a square within a square -- most likely on the bottom right corner of your home screen)

2.  Swipe the screen to the left to go to the second page of All Apps and touch the "My Accounts" icon

3.  Touch "Add Account" at the bottom of screen

4.  Touch "Email"

5.  Enter your entire AKO email address and then also the password

6.  Uncheck the "Automatically configure account" box (AKO does not permit auto-configuration)

7.  Touch "Next"

8.  Touch "General Settings".  On this screen you can change the account name to whatever you'd like it to show as on your Bionic.  You can also change the "Real Name" which is what a receiver of your email will see when you send email from your Bionic's AKO account.  Don't change the email address.

Touch "OK"

Touch "Incoming Server" and set fields as follows:

Incoming Server-->
Choose "IMAP mail server" from the dropdown on top
Server: imap.us.army.mil
Username: first.last (without "@us.army.mil")(also note that your username might not just be your first.last name -- you might have a number at the end or a middle initial or some other characters in the username -- just enter everything to the left of the @ sign in your email address but do not include "@us.army.mil")
Password: enter your AKO password
Touch "Advanced Settings" (depending on how you are holding your phone you might need to scroll down the page to see "Advanced Settings")-->
Port: 993
Use secure connection: CHECKED
Use secure password (TLS): Auto
Verify Certificate: UNCHECKED (click "Yes" in the "Confirm" pop-up window)

Touch "OK" and then "OK" again on the next screen

Touch "Outgoing Server" and set fields as follows:

Outgoing Server-->
SMTP server: mailrouter.us.army.mil
Username: first.last (
without "@us.army.mil")(same rules apply here as I described above in "Incoming Server" -- everything to the left of the @ sign)
Password: enter your AKO password
Touch "Advanced Settings"-->
Port: 465
Use secure connection: CHECKED
Use secure password (TLS): Auto
Authentication: Auto
Verify Certificate: UNCHECKED (click "Yes" in the "Confirm" pop-up window)

Touch "OK" and then "OK" again on the next screen

Once this is done, you can touch "Other Settings" and change the number of messages you wish to sync.  Default is 25.  Touch "OK" and then "OK" again.  You should now be on the "My Accounts"  screen and your newly created AKO account should show in the list of accounts.  The account should now be active.

There are other settings for the account that can be adjusted from inside the email account.  You must have the AKO account open on the Bionic (meaning you are looking at you email on the Bionic).  While viewing that screen, touch the bottom left button on the Bionic (the one with four boxes and the top left one in white) and touch "Email Settings".  From the "Email Setings" screen you can adjust many different items for your AKO account.

(Thanks to "elcapitan" on another Android forum for much of the tech data included in this post.)

0 Likes