4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2011 1:20 AM by Muldrick RSS

My droid x was stolen and no insurance

flyingmycolors

My purse was stolen friday night and my phone was in there. I went to file a claim when i came home and turns out i didnt have insurance. It seemed to have been taken off when I upgraded my phone. I cant afford a new phone at regular price and after having a smartphone for 8 months i cant switch back. Has anyone gone through my situtation before?? I was thinking about adding a line and getting a phone but i dont want to end up paying for 2 smartphone data plans. I have a crappy phone that doesnt like to stay turned on. I was wondering if i could make that my main line and not have to have a data plan and just pay for the data plan on my new one?? Any ideas?? Im on a budget so i actually want to add a line through wirefly to get the droid x2 for free?? help!! :smileyhappy:

• 1. Re: My droid x was stolen and no insurance
          rcschnoor

flyingmycolors wrote:

My purse was stolen friday night and my phone was in there. I went to file a claim when i came home and turns out i didnt have insurance. It seemed to have been taken off when I upgraded my phone. I cant afford a new phone at regular price and after having a smartphone for 8 months i cant switch back. Has anyone gone through my situtation before?? I was thinking about adding a line and getting a phone but i dont want to end up paying for 2 smartphone data plans. I have a crappy phone that doesnt like to stay turned on. I was wondering if i could make that my main line and not have to have a data plan and just pay for the data plan on my new one?? Any ideas?? Im on a budget so i actually want to add a line through wirefly to get the droid x2 for free?? help!! :smileyhappy:

I assume that you have unlimited data on your current line since you have had your smartphone for 8 months.

If you add a line, you will not have unlimited data on your new line, but will have to choose from among the data tiers currently available. You can add a line and then switch the new phone to your current line and KEEP the unlimited data on your current line. You can then re-activate a basic phone on the new line and have the data plan cancelled which you signed up for when you started the line. You will have to keep the line active, though, or pay an ETF.

If you do this through Wirefly, though, Wirefly may charge you a fee($250 or more) if you remove the new smartphone from the new line within 180 days of activation. I would check to make sure this will not happen.  If you purchase a new smartphone to do what has been described above, you WILL NOT be charged any fees to do this.

• 2. Re: My droid x was stolen and no insurance
            SuzyQ
            Why not look on eBay or other private party sellers and replace the phone that way? No add a line, and if you get it activated within 14 days after suspending the line you should keep your unlimited data. Actually, suspending the line with billing may allow you to keep the unlimited while you shop for and activate another phone.
            • 3. Re: My droid x was stolen and no insurance
              BambooHead
              This might not help with what you're asking, but I believe there's an app called 'Plan B' for droids that you can actually download and install from your home computer and track the phone, wipe it, etc. But anyways.. Suzy Q is right, just suspend the line for now and as long as you're going from one smart phone to another, you'll be able to keep your unlimited data. A lot of people do the 'add a line' thing but usually end up regretting paying for a line they're not using. eBay or Craigslist would be my best recommendation. Good luck!
              • 4. Re: My droid x was stolen and no insurance
                Muldrick
                I just downgraded from my droid X to a chocolate from eBay.
                I will be putting my droidX on Craigslist tomorrow or the next day. 250 include car and home dock