7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 6:11 AM by lewisr13 RSS

Transfer Upgrade situation

LordRocky

I have an interesting situation for an upgrade transfer.

Phone A: Feature phone whose contract expired about a month ago. No data plan was req'd at time of contract.

Phone B (Me): Smartphone due for upgrade in Oct. 2012. $20 Unlimited data plan included at time of contract.

The owner of Phone A does not wish to upgrade her phone at this time, and wants to give me (Phone B) her upgrade. As a feature phone, if she got a new contract on the same phone it would require the current $15 data plan for feature phones.

So my question is: If I were to have her upgrade transferred to my phone, would I be able to keep my (Phone B) unlimited data plan until the end of my contract, and would she (Phone A) be able to extend her contract without incurring the current $15 Data charges?

I was talking to an employee at the verizon store to replace my broken phone with an older smartphone and it sounded to me like it could be the case that we could keep the same plans. (This was just what I gathered, I could be wrong,)

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-LordRocky

(I plan to upgrade to an iPhone 4S if that changes any part of this.)

• 1. Re: Transfer Upgrade situation
          lewisr13

You can do a "transfer upgrade" online and then order online. Feature phones no longer require a data plan, at least any that I'm aware of.

• 2. Re: Transfer Upgrade situation
            SuzyQ

LordRocky wrote:

I have an interesting situation for an upgrade transfer.

Phone A: Feature phone whose contract expired about a month ago. No data plan was req'd at time of contract.

Phone B (Me): Smartphone due for upgrade in Oct. 2012. $20 Unlimited data plan included at time of contract.

So my question is: If I were to have her upgrade transferred to my phone, would I be able to keep my (Phone B) unlimited data plan until the end of my contract, and would she (Phone A) be able to extend her contract without incurring the current $15 Data charges?

I was talking to an employee at the verizon store to replace my broken phone with an older smartphone and it sounded to me like it could be the case that we could keep the same plans. (This was just what I gathered, I could be wrong,)

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-LordRocky

(I plan to upgrade to an iPhone 4S if that changes any part of this.)

You could use the upgrade eligibility of Phone A to get the iPhone4S - it MAY need to be temporarily activated on line A (but if doen in store, it may be able to be activated directly to your line).  The contract on Line A would be extended, but since the phone would not change, the plan would remain the same.

And yes, you can activate the iPhone 4S on your line and keep your unlimited data plan.

• 3. Re: Transfer Upgrade situation
              LordRocky

Thanks for the help! I am still a tad skeptical that Verizon would just let go of a potentially more expensive data plan for the new phone, but this does sound logical and promising!

• 4. Re: Transfer Upgrade situation
                lewisr13

LordRocky wrote:

Thanks for the help! I am still a tad skeptical that Verizon would just let go of a potentially more expensive data plan for the new phone, but this does sound logical and promising!

No need to be skeptical, that's the way it is.

• 5. Re: Transfer Upgrade situation
                  PeteClimbs

Couldn't start a new discussion so I'm using this one to ask a question.

I'm the account manager for my family plan and my daughter is asking to transfer my discount to hers so that she can buy a new phone cheaper.  If I let her transfer, will I lose my upgrade discount forever or for only the contract period for her new phone?

• 6. Re: Transfer Upgrade situation
                    rcschnoor

PeteClimbs wrote:

Couldn't start a new discussion so I'm using this one to ask a question.

I'm the account manager for my family plan and my daughter is asking to transfer my discount to hers so that she can buy a new phone cheaper.  If I let her transfer, will I lose my upgrade discount forever or for only the contract period for her new phone?

If you transfer your upgrade to her, and she takes advantage of it, your line will be under a new 2yr contract and you will not receive another discounted upgrade for another 20 months. If your line is currently eligible for a NE2 credit of $30/$50, you will not get another one of these when you become eligible for your next discounted upgrade.

• 7. Re: Transfer Upgrade situation
                      lewisr13

Also, the upgrade date for her line will not change from it's current status. Essentially, you are upgrading your line and giving her the new phone. It has nothing to do with her contract.