4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2011 3:59 PM by ALL RSS

My upgrade options?

ALL

I have 3 devices on my plan and am looking to upgrade.  some of the devices are eligible, and some are not.

1. LG Cosmos (basic, not smart phone)... Eligible for early upgrade now

2. LG Cosmos (basic, not smart phone)... Eligible 2/2012

3. MiFi... Eligible now (contract ends December 2011).

I want to upgrade the Qty 2 cosmos to Qty 2 Bionics (with data plan etc..)

On one of the Bionics, I will do the mobile hotspot to take the place of the MiFi.

I want to do all three devices at the same time (or I could carry the MiFi contract 1 additional month until it dies).  I do not want to pay full retail price for upgrading the #2 cosmos.

I am a little upset that other distributors cannot process an early upgrade on the #1 Cosmos phone.   It would be much more cost effective to go through one of those retailers. 

I called VW and my early termination fees are not much as I am approaching the end of my contracts.

I could pay the ETFs and go to any distributor I chose, but what happens to my phone numbers?  Any way to port them onto my new 2 year contract?

I could add 2 lines (2 bionics) to my existing account with new phone numbers.  Could I then switch #s between my Cosmos and Bionics and then pay the ETF to cancel the Cosmos?  Would that work?

Anybody have any other suggestions (besides the obvious of waiting until my contracts are up)?  I feel like I have had my 'dumb' (not smart) phone for years, and am stuck in the dark ages.  Would love to have 4G LTE, and think the Bionic is an excellent phone.  My 3G MiFi is on it's last legs and I use it for my home internet access.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

• 1. Re: My upgrade options?
          rcschnoor
          Porting your phone # to your new 2 yr contract? Porting refers to leaving Verizon. If you are signing a new Verizon contract, then you are not porting.

Yes, you could add 2 new lines and then switch those lines to your 2 Cosmos phones, but if you then canceled the 2 Cosmos on the new lines, there would be $350 ETFs on each of those 2 lines. If you also purchased the new phones from a retailer instead of Verizon, you could have an additional charge on top of the ETFs. You should check on these fees.
          • 2. Re: My upgrade options?
            ALL

Not sure I would agree with that.  just so we are clear, here is an exmple:

If I have a 2 year contract nearing the end and the phone number is 444-4444.  I then add a line with a new 2 year contract and the phone number is 555-5555.... Why could I not swap phone numbers and then terminate the old phone on the old contract?  My new phone would have the new 2 year contract with the old phone number.

Makes sense to me, but what do I know?

• 3. Re: My upgrade options?
              rcschnoor

ALL wrote:

Not sure I would agree with that.  just so we are clear, here is an exmple:

If I have a 2 year contract nearing the end and the phone number is 444-4444.  I then add a line with a new 2 year contract and the phone number is 555-5555.... Why could I not swap phone numbers and then terminate the old phone on the old contract?  My new phone would have the new 2 year contract with the old phone number.

Makes sense to me, but what do I know?

It may make sense to you, but I believe that you will find Verizon will not allow you to do this.

Verizon has decided that they will subsidize the purchase of a phone if you agree to a contract term of 2 years, and has agreed that you can upgrade with another subsidized phone after 20 months of that 2yr contract by agreeing to another 2yr contract.

Why would they then allow you to do something which circumvents these contracts to which you agree.

What they will allow you to do is to swap PHONES, not PHONE NUMBERS. In this way, if you want to cancel 1 of the lines and keeping your old # is that important to you, you will have to cancel the NEW line.

As I have said, you may not agree with it, but there are examples in these forums where people have tried to do what you are suggesting, but have found out it is not allowed.

• 4. Re: My upgrade options?
                ALL

rcschnoor wrote:

It may make sense to you, but I believe that you will find Verizon will not allow you to do this.

Verizon has decided that they will subsidize the purchase of a phone if you agree to a contract term of 2 years, and has agreed that you can upgrade with another subsidized phone after 20 months of that 2yr contract by agreeing to another 2yr contract.

Why would they then allow you to do something which circumvents these contracts to which you agree.

You are probably 100% correct and that is why I posted the questions on this board.  Even though I am not trying to circumvent my current 2 year contract (I am fully willing and expect to pay the ETF). 

I would like to upgrade early without paying full retail price of the new phone.  I could cancel my currect contract first (and pay the ETF), but I fear I would lose my phone numbers and not be able to reclaim them; Correct??? 

So my idea of adding new lines first and then swapping phone numbers and then canceling  / paying off the old contract was my effort to accomplish this without losing my old phone numbers.  I don't see it that I am trying to get away with anything except keeping my old phone numbers.  No different than if I cancelled my contract by going to ATT to port my phone numbers.  Except that I like Verizon and you can't beat LTE, so I would like to stay here.

I would not be surprised if you were 100% correct in that they would force me to pay the ETF on the new contract and not the old.  I would like to hear from a "verizon employee person" from this forum.  I know they are out there.

Thanks for your input rcschnor.