Ice Cream Sandwich for Charge?
Santa_Barbara

Is there any hope we skipped Gingerbread so we could get Ice Cream Sandwich? My only interest is to get the front facing camera working for video chat.

0 Likes
Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Charge?
namstol

Short and Long answer NO.  Samsung just doesn't update their phones apparently.  I didn't realize this before I got locked in to the Charge.  Again, as stated in previous threads, the gingerbread update has been floating around the interweb for about 4 months.  How many gingerbread/problem fix OTAs has Samsung provided for Verizon for the Charge?

0 Likes
riffrafter

Santa_Barbara wrote:

Is there any hope we skipped Gingerbread so we could get Ice Cream Sandwich? My only interest is to get the front facing camera working for video chat.

Gingerbread will give us the front facing camera for video if it ever gets released.

It's actually up to Verizon to do a better job of managing their vendor - Samsung - if indeed Samsung is the cause of the hold-up. 

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3

Samsung has really only released one good fix for the Charge; EE4, the other updates just took away the free hot spot feature, and also only allowed wi-fi or 4g for use in the media hub, not 3g, as it was not able to provide enough juice for streaming and such.

0 Likes
dirge80

DOn't hold your breathe.We are now two versions behind. I don't see Samsung making up for that, at all!

0 Likes
RobieRob

Well here is what samsung tech had to say. " Unfortunately at this time there is no update scheduled for your model phone in the near future."   Now when I called verizon with this response: " Unfortunately right now I can not give you a repsonse to your question about the update for your phone. If and when an update is available, you will be notified via the OTA.  Thank you for choosing Verizon and have a great day."    Iam glad iam not bound to any contract and have since switched to a different carrier and phone that has the latest GB update and 4g (at least this 4g is faster than  Verizons so called 3g fringe service.). 

Thank you Verizon - Samsung for screwing us over..  <<<---- I bet this gets censored.  The only thing Verizon actually stays up to date on, CENSORSHIP.) beside making sure that we get billed every month.. LOL 

0 Likes
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

front-facing camera DOES work for the Charge- works for both the Skype and Tango apps.  Skype updated their app about a month ago to correct this bug.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
Should work with google talk....but it doesn't!
0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

Is there anyone out there that has the front facing camera on the Charge to work with Skype?    Skype's own Description for the app I'm looking at right now says the Front Facing Camera will not work.  The app says..."On Android 2.2 (Froyo) only the back camera will work.  This is because only devices running Android OS 2.3 or higher allow apps to access the front facing camera." 

0 Likes
RobieRob

There is a program out there that does work with front facing camera.  It is called OOVOO and this program works great, and I believe it works with skype clients.  I haven't tried to see if it works with skype clients, for all the folks I know have dumped skype and went with OOVOO.   Give it a try.  At least this works with the Droid Charge..  Just in case anyone is wondering,  I am running the stock software on the phone and not any rooted updates..

0 Likes