Apple Care+
junuh
Enthusiast - Level 2
Is it better to buy the AppleCare+ or Verizon insurance or Bestbuy Insurance? And what's the difference between all 3? I have bought bestbuy insurance for my other phones but since I started using IPhones I don't know which would be better.
Labels (2)
Re: Apple Care+
JoeNe
Contributor - Level 2

This is very subjective.  My last couple phones have had Best Buy insurance, including my wife's current iPhone 4. 

Best Buy charges $14.99 per month for up to 2 years.  Assuming you upgrade at 20 months you will pay $300 for their coverage.  I have used it and it works!  You will get a refurb phone in about 3 - 5 days and a loaner phone if needed.  There is a $0 deductible for any type of damage or issue except for loss, which is not covered.

Apple Care+ costs $99.  There is a 2X limit to replace the phone if damaged by you.  There is a $49 deductible.  Assuming you go through both replacements for a total of 3 phones in 20 months it will cost you $197.  I can't say if Apple will replace your damaged phone with a refurb or a new phone.  I know that they offer advance replacement and will overnight you a phone, or you can go to your local Apple Store if there is one nearby.  Apple Care+ also gives you 2 years of tech support at no cost and extends the 1 year warranty against defect to 2 years.

I don't know enought about the Verizon insurance to answer effectively.  

On my new 4S I chose to go with Apple Care+.  It's $100 cheaper if I use it to it's limits and $200 cheaper if I don't damage the phone.  The tech support is a nice bonus and I live 1 mile from my local Apple Store (Best Buy too).  It's also nice to know that it is paid for and I won't have an auto withdrawal every month for $14.99+tax.

If you are really accident prone then the Best Buy plan might end up a better deal, otherwise AC+ seems to be the way to go in my opinion.  I didn't even give the VZ insurance a consideration because I was under the impression that there is a big deductible for damage.

0 Likes
sumiran

I think Apple Care+ is the way to go.  You only need to pay $99 once for 2 years and you are covered.  Yes they limit you to 2 replacements at $49 a piece, but that's still cheaper than paying $10/month for Verizon insurance and you also have to pay $169 replacement fee.  That is crazy expensive if you do the math.  Plus if you are prone to breaking your phone and need to replace a smart phone on more than one occasion, you shouldn't have one. 

I'm super upset with Verizon for not offering up Apple Care+.  Just got my wife an iPhone 4S, and they did not offer.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You shouldn't be upset with VZW for not offering AppleCare+....if I'm not mistaken, AppleCare+ can only be purchased from Apple directly. Assuming you haven't had the 4s for more than 30 days you can still get it from Apple. I think you have to go to an Apple store with your receipt and after they inspect your 4s you can purchase it. You can contact Apple to verify.

0 Likes
sumiran

You don't have to go to Apple to get the protection plan. Wife called

Verizon, she needs to go back to the store and get it there. Verified via

Verizon.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

AppleCare+ has to be purchased via Apple (per their website at the following link http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A). You can get VZW's protection plan which is not the same as AppleCare+. If you can still purchase the regular AppleCare plan then you can buy that at VZW or any other retailer that sells it any time within the 1st year but it does not cover the same things that AppleCare+ does. I would have your wife contact Apple directly for the clear and correct answer to this if you or her feels the link is not clear enough. VZW would likely prefer you to go with their protection plan but if your goal is to get the AppleCare+ plan that requires one upfront payment and $49 for a replacement device if the need arises then you need to contact Apple to find out the accurate method of getting it.

0 Likes
sumiran

Will do thanks!

0 Likes
EmtMomOf3

Hi everyone. I bought my iPhone from Verizon in March & wasn't told about the AppleCare either. I just learned about AC this Saturday when I bought the new iPad & my friend suggested that I get the AppleCare coverage. I had to go to Apple for the coverage since I bought the iPad from Taeget. It was then that I learned that you only have 30 days from the date you buy the phone to enroll. I was signed up for the Assurian coverage (offered by Verizon) which as you mentioned comes with a higher ded. than the AC. I agree that Verizon should inform their customers of both plans considering both plans offer the same 30 day window of opportunity. I am very mad that I wasn't informed of my choices & just called Verizon. The rep informed me that the sales rep should've informed me of the coverage & that it's up to the Verizon rep of what they want to say. I of course disputed that by saying that Verizon should be consultant & inform thir customers of all their options. If they are selling Apple products then they need to disclose correct information about what Apple offers, like the AC coverage. It's nice to know that Apple also offers a 90 day complimentary coverage period (I just discovered that on apple.com). I plan on taking very good care of my phone as I always do but it's the principal that really frustrates me because I missed out on getting Apple's coverage. Good thing I found out about it for my iPad. Good luck to all of you. Thanks for posting your info- its nice to know I'm not alone on this.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The only reason VZW may not be required to inform buyers of the AppleCare+ plan is because unlike the previous regular AppleCare plan, VZW nor any other retailer sells it and it has to be purchased directly from Apple. Although I agree it would be nice if they mentioned it, it also is a way to dissuade a customer from buying a service they sell and would profit from (VZW's Assurian coverage). So in that light I could see why they wouldn't exactly jump at advertising AppleCare+ over their own plan. For many people that frequent this site and purchased the 4s when it was released (I was not one of those people but I did notice the threads related to the new AppleCare+ plan at the time) they learned about the plan after placing their orders during the pre-order period because at the time (if I remember correctly) AppleCare+ was not available for sale until after the pre-order....so Apple ended up changing the original rules for purchase. Originally, you had to purchase AppleCare+ at the same time that you purchased the 4s or the newer 4...only problem was that 1). it wasn't available when pre-orders were placed and 2). since it is only available directly from Apple the many people that purchased from other sources would not be able to buy it. But I digress...

0 Likes