Is the Push To Talk Feature Available?
hammmy

Does anyone know of an app that is downloadable to make the iphone a true PTT connectable phone. 

I have multiple ruggedized handsets with PTT-only service (can't even voice out) that we issue to workers in the field.  Unfortunately I cannot issue iphone based handsets to my managers because there is not way for them to talk to the workers.  Sure, they could add a market PTT app like Tiki but that will only allow iphone phones to talk to each other.  The only impractical solutions, which undermines the whole PTT concept, is to issue two phones to managers.

It's a loose - loose situation for both me and Verizon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is the Push To Talk Feature Available?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

iPhone 4 is not a PTT device...you can search the App store to see if there is anything that resembles what you're looking for, but as far as it being an intended PTT device, it is not. If having a PTT ddevice is a must then the iPhone is not the device you should be looking at.

0 Likes
hammmy

There are no smart phones available to manage this feature.  I think it would be wise for verizon to make an app for both the iphone and the android to be able to at least call other PTT phones.  Even if it was just a dollar people would by it like crazy. Let alone the corporate world. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Perhaps if you voice the idea to Apple (they have to approve all Apps created for their products) then the idea might be considered. If you know any current App developers you may be able to float the idea towards them also. I don't think PTT went over as well on VZW (which may be why the number of PTT devices is low). I may be mistaken, but it seemed that at one point there was a Blackberry device that supported PTT. I might be wrong though. At any rate, you have to decide which is most needed for your company...a PTT device or a smartphone (if there are no smartphones with the feature). Is it not possible for your managers to contact those that they need to by simply placing a call? It wouldn't affect their minute usage if everyone in your company that is issued a phone that are from Verizon. Have you tried calling VZW in regards to your business account and the best solutions to meet your companies needs?

0 Likes
Toochief

There is an app call HeyTell that is the best I've seen for PTT like function.

0 Likes
Toochief

There is an app called Heytell that is the best I've seen for PTT functionality.

0 Likes
joehowell

Check out Palringo Enterprise. You can get a free PTT app here that is cross-platform for iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile, etc.

http://enterprise.palringo.com/en/gb/

0 Likes
hammmy

I know that there are apps out there to connect androind to iphone and the such.  I am looking for an app to connect non smart phone to a smart phone on the PTT network. 

Just read the other prevoius post. . 

0 Likes