1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 1:10 AM by Alexchai RSS

14 days Return Policy

Alexchai

I have purchased an iPhone 4 in Sept. and due to it's overheat and short battery life problems, I have returned it within the 14 days and paid full price for a basic phone because i needed a phone. Then few days later i only found out the basic phone is really bad in terms of its usability, so i have decided to return it. So when i went in to the store and met an appointed Sales consultant, she told me that i can't return the basic phone. She said it has passed the 14 days returning period, which was started from the day i purchased the 1st device and i can only 'exchange' the device once. I was in shock and it really surprised me. Because from day one, the Sales Consultant had never inform me of the 14 days return policy that the returning period was started when you purchased your first device. So basically, if you have returned the first one and got yourself another one and if you have decided to return the second one which is well over the 14 days period, they will NOT ACCEPT it.

I think this is ridiculous and unacceptable as the returning period should start from the day i purchased the 2nd device instead of counting from the day when i bought the 1st device. At least, the Sale Consultant should inform customers when there's a such policy in place that we should be awared of. The Sale Consultant didn't tell me. Btw, as a customer who has purchased something and he isn't satisfied with it and wanting to return it but the store is telling you that you can't. So much for it's "We're Not 100% Satisfied Unless You Are." big label on the phone's original box. It's frustrating!

• 1. Re: 14 days Return Policy
          LVUser

:robotsad:You my friend, have been delivered the "shaft"....join the club.  Bend over and smile and realize whats done is done.  

I too got stuck!!!!

• 2. Re: 14 days Return Policy
            CharmingPhlsphr

Alexchai wrote:

I have purchased an iPhone 4 in Sept. and due to it's overheat and short battery life problems, I have returned it within the 14 days and paid full price for a basic phone because i needed a phone. Then few days later i only found out the basic phone is really bad in terms of its usability, so i have decided to return it. So when i went in to the store and met an appointed Sales consultant, she told me that i can't return the basic phone. She said it has passed the 14 days returning period, which was started from the day i purchased the 1st device and i can only 'exchange' the device once. I was in shock and it really surprised me. Because from day one, the Sales Consultant had never inform me of the 14 days return policy that the returning period was started when you purchased your first device. So basically, if you have returned the first one and got yourself another one and if you have decided to return the second one which is well over the 14 days period, they will NOT ACCEPT it.

I think this is ridiculous and unacceptable as the returning period should start from the day i purchased the 2nd device instead of counting from the day when i bought the 1st device. At least, the Sale Consultant should inform customers when there's a such policy in place that we should be awared of. The Sale Consultant didn't tell me. Btw, as a customer who has purchased something and he isn't satisfied with it and wanting to return it but the store is telling you that you can't. So much for it's "We're Not 100% Satisfied Unless You Are." big label on the phone's original box. It's frustrating!

It would not be a wise business decision to allow a brand new 14 day window each time the phone is swapped out for a different one. There is always someone to take advantage of the policy. I imagine you are only given one time, though, because of the money lost from phones that cannot be sold as new anymore. I guess they are like cars in that they immediately lose value when you touch'em.

• 3. Re: 14 days Return Policy
              budone

It has been policy for ages if you return a phone, you are allowed only to swap to a new different device once. Too many ruined it for the rest.

• 4. Re: 14 days Return Policy
                Alexchai

I understand that, but It isn't fair that you were not informed of the consequences as well as their policy on 'only one exchange'. To be fair, i think we as a customer, should be given at least 1-3 days to try out instead of shutting the door after the 14th day of your first purchase.

I also learned another thing from this experience, sometimes the Sales consultant at the store was incompetent. They just followed by whatever they see on their computer screen instead of using their heads to think about helping customers to resolve their problems.

The story started with this: When i returning the iPhone 4 to the store, they have messed up the procedures and took them 40 minutes just to credit back the screen protector of iPhone 4 to my account. The previous 2 Sales consultants was trying to refund it to my credit card but they couldn't do it on the computer even the store manager was shaking his head on this. Finally, the third sales consultant was able to discover the problem and resolved it by credit it back to my account instead of refunding my money to the credit card. It's settled.

Now, after that incident, i went back to the store again to return my second phone. They appointed another Sales Consultant who told me that i can't sign any deal or purchase another phone with discount which would tie me up for 1-2 years contract until year 2013. She told me that my account was in fact, had tied up with 2 years contract ever since i signed up the 2 years iPhone 4 contract, even though i purchased my second phone in full retail price without any discount. She told me twice about it and i had her confirmed and confirmed again and she kept telling me that i can't do it. Hence i just left the store and called up the customer service on the phone after i have returned home. The customer service told me it's not right, so she rang up the phone and called the manager at store and have him to correct their mistake on the system within 24 hours. Ofcourse, at the end of day, i feel relief on this matter but sad on the previous matter, which i probably have to sell it or stuck with it until the day it dies. LOL

• 5. Re: 14 days Return Policy
                  budone

Alexchai wrote:

I understand that, but It isn't fair that you were not informed of the consequences as well as their policy on 'only one exchange'. To be fair, i think we as a customer, should be given at least 1-3 days to try out instead of shutting the door after the 14th day of your first purchase. Then you agree with the 14 day limit as all you want is 1-3 days.

• 6. Re: 14 days Return Policy
                    Alexchai

Yes. I think 1-3 days is reasonable. 14 days limit is fair even though it's hard to accept for customer who got used to the normal 30 days return policy adopted by most retailers.

• 7. Re: 14 days Return Policy
                      budone

I know Sprint has a 14 day policy and I believe ATT does also

• 8. Re: 14 days Return Policy
                        Alexchai

Did anyone of them informing you about that this 'one time exchange' and that '14 days limit started from the 1st purchases' policies when you wanted to return the first one and get a second phone?

• 9. Re: 14 days Return Policy
                          Calymari

I got bitten by this too, but I bought my phone through Fry's.

I got the Droid Bionic but it stopped working within the 14 days, so I went to return it but ended up getting an exchange instead. I asked the sales rep if I would get another 14 days to return it if it still didn't work out, and he said yes. So I decided to give it another try.

But then when I went back to return it (within 14 days of getting the replacement phone), they told me it was past the 14 days (of the original purchase), and the system wouldn't let them take it back. Verizon policy.

So now I'm stuck with it. The lady did suggest that maybe I could try to sell it to someone else, but I'm not sure how that works since it's activated to my line...

:smileysad:

1 2 Previous Next