Stuck in 1X again...
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

So suddenly this week, my phone started dropping from 3G to 1X regularly again....seems it disappears for a little while then comes back. Has anyone found an actual FIX for this or is VZW still ignoring it?I've done resets, battery pulls and full on factory resets without any luck. This is starting to get old....I pay for 3G service yet I get 1X 1/4 to 1/2 the time. I'm in a full on 3G area, not rural yet can't get 3G the majority of the time....

0 Likes
Re: Stuck in 1X again...
B33
Legend

@ Keiffers

They could be working on the Towers in your area i seen the same thing about a week ago on my Incredible an my X if your in what was a Alltel area they may be updating or it may be at&t & verizon has finished its change over in your area if there was one but be patient and give it a week as it should subside. If not call Teck or visit one of the Retail stores in you area an ask whats going on that's what i ended up doing. B33

By the way what area of Texas are you Loctated in That's area you don't have to give your city unless you really want to.

0 Likes
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

Round Rock (just north of Austin).....this problem has existed for just about the past year since I got the phone. Others around me that also have Droid X's look at me like I'm crazy if I ask them if they lose their 3G connection, so apparently I'm the only one. I just updated to PRL 52522 today but its still dropping to 1X regularly. They just announced 4G LTE for Austin being active, and if it was prior to that announcement, I'd understand, but now that it's been active for a month, I still have issues with it.

0 Likes
HappyJackDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

I've got this theory that the more people get smartphones and connect to the same towers, the more the service becomes degrated.  Either the radius within which solid service is available shrinks, or the service within the radius degrades.  I'm no engineer.  It's just a theory of mine based on what I've experienced over the past 14 months or so.  I'm not griping.  Just observing.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

keiffers wrote:

Round Rock (just north of Austin).....this problem has existed for just about the past year since I got the phone. Others around me that also have Droid X's look at me like I'm crazy if I ask them if they lose their 3G connection, so apparently I'm the only one. I just updated to PRL 52522 today but its still dropping to 1X regularly. They just announced 4G LTE for Austin being active, and if it was prior to that announcement, I'd understand, but now that it's been active for a month, I still have issues with it.

Keiffers i pute accouple maps on here just click on Link: an take a look around . But if there going to be puting 4G close to your area your towers it could be the reason for the up n down even on 3g as the Tecks will be changing the Elements on the Towes to accomadate the 4G signal.

Here's the Link: 

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=round%20rock&state_abr=tx

To go to the Verizon coverage Site Go To www.verizonwireless.com/coverage once there you can type in your Area to see your coverage an were the 4g coverage is.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

B33 wrote:

keiffers wrote:

Keiffers i pute accouple maps on here just click on Link: an take a look around . But if there going to be puting 4G close to your area your towers it could be the reason for the up n down even on 3g as the Tecks will be changing the Elements on the Towes to accomadate the 4G signal.

Here's the Link: 

To go to the Verizon coverage Site Go To www.verizonwireless.com/coverage once there you can type in your Area to see your coverage an were the 4g coverage is.

Keiffers when i posted the link for Cell reception.com it was for Red Rock an Not Round Rock my mistake but

i got the right one now

An your in the Hot bead of 4G i'd say when you was having the issues you described they were testing after installing the 4G elements witch they have to Do when upgrading to 4G or they had done it sometime back but as i said were needing to do some tiding up on the system an its on full power. an i tell ya a trip to the Corp store an some playing with one of the new phones i call them Adult Kid Toys :smileywink: an some Question asking on the system will probably help ya. But one of those new Toys might just get alittle adictive an one might want to go home with ya. If it does have fun with it. :smileyvery-happy: B33

0 Likes
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

HappyJackDaddy wrote:

I've got this theory that the more people get smartphones and connect to the same towers, the more the service becomes degrated.  Either the radius within which solid service is available shrinks, or the service within the radius degrades.  I'm no engineer.  It's just a theory of mine based on what I've experienced over the past 14 months or so.  I'm not griping.  Just observing.

That's a theory I've had as well....that they haven't upgraded the capacity to meet demand and thus users will have problems that VZW and other carriers will just say 'we're not aware of any problems'. I live within line of sight of three seperate towers, and I'm sure handshaking amongst those will give me problems as I'm sure they're not all Verizon towers. Could even go down the conspiracy road and theorize that it is an attempt to get people to upgrade to the latest and greatest, but that's just MY opinion.

Anyway last night it gave me fits yet again....this time not even letting me connect to *228 and at one point dropping cell service altogether, and I was outside. I know during the day some of the 1x problems are because I work in an office building and that can create problems of its own, but outside with no obstructions is what blows my mind

and I know my coverage area, so no need to visit the VZW coverage map.....hence why in my original post I said I am in a full on 3G area and not rural.

0 Likes
Tuscoro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I and mny wife have had this issue countless times in the last 1 1/2 years... I couldn't count how many times I have called Verizon searching for answer which always ends up with some upgrade... don't get me wrong, I am a 20 year verizon customer. We live in a poor service area... (small town) every now and then, one of our phones switches to 1X and the usual either do a factory reset (Pain in the Ars) or wait anywhere from ours to days for the phone to decide to switch back to 3 or 4G...

In one of the many recomendations we resolved in Verizon sending us an extender... it never worked... no surprise... THIS TIME and this morning we woke up to both of our phones on !X... I have had enouph of this crap I thought... not being on the network due to my phones whim to be on !X, I had no choice but to contact a gentileman via live chat...(Stuart, Thank You!) Verizon is now going to send us a 4G extender? what? I thought thats what we had?... O'well, but rather than wait days for the phones to magically switch back to 4G, I thought what would I do if my computer was doing this?... then it hit me....

TRY THIS... it worked for both of our phone 1st time...and imidiately WITHOUT DOING A FACTORY RESET!!! woo hoo!

* Power your phone off...

* Remove the sim card...

*power your phone on WITHOUT the sim card inserted... (What? it can't find the bad command to put it on 1X?} This clears the cache or Ram? memory) I think, but dont care...

* Your phone will now tell you the obvious, I needs a sim card to work.... comply by shutting down the phone again...

* Reinsert the sim card and power on the phone... ( now it knows to go where it should for factory commands rather than the cache where the bad command was.... your phone should now be on its usual setting.... and 4G...

It worked for us, I hope it works for you....

I am just tired of the solution always being... you need a new phone... (which we can't afford) you need to factory reset... (of which if I have to do again, I am going back to a landline) ...when I was a kid we bought a new phone.... that was 40 plus years ago... that phone still works.... whats up with that? We can in the 60's talk to a man on the moon but can't get reasonable cell service to my small town?

Despite it all... we are still very gratefull to Verizon for ALWAYS bending over backwards to resolve the issues... But AT-T?.... you suck... and so does your nasty attitude employees... we will never go back... its been 20 years... Thank You Verizon!, I hope this fix helps your customers having the same issues...

PS... Verizon programmers... stop trying to fix that which is not broken.... 😉

0 Likes
Tuscoro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I and mny wife have had this issue countless times in the last 1 1/2 years... I couldn't count how many times I have called Verizon searching for answer which always ends up with some upgrade... don't get me wrong, I am a 20 year verizon customer. We live in a poor service area... (small town) every now and then, one of our phones switches to 1X and the usual either do a factory reset (Pain in the Ars) or wait anywhere from ours to days for the phone to decide to switch back to 3 or 4G...

In one of the many recomendations we resolved in Verizon sending us an extender... it never worked... no surprise... THIS TIME and this morning we woke up to both of our phones on !X... I have had enouph of this crap I thought... not being on the network due to my phones whim to be on !X, I had no choice but to contact a gentileman via live chat...(Stuart, Thank You!) Verizon is now going to send us a 4G extender? what? I thought thats what we had?... O'well, but rather than wait days for the phones to magically switch back to 4G, I thought what would I do if my computer was doing this?... then it hit me....

TRY THIS... it worked for both of our phone 1st time...and imidiately WITHOUT DOING A FACTORY RESET!!! woo hoo!

* Power your phone off...

* Remove the sim card...

*power your phone on WITHOUT the sim card inserted... (What? it can't find the bad command to put it on 1X?} This clears the cache or Ram? memory) I think, but dont care...

* Your phone will now tell you the obvious, I needs a sim card to work.... comply by shutting down the phone again...

* Reinsert the sim card and power on the phone... ( now it knows to go where it should for factory commands rather than the cache where the bad command was.... your phone should now be on its usual setting.... and 4G...

It worked for us, I hope it works for you....

I am just tired of the solution always being... you need a new phone... (which we can't afford) you need to factory reset... (of which if I have to do again, I am going back to a landline) ...when I was a kid we bought a new phone.... that was 40 plus years ago... that phone still works.... whats up with that? We can in the 60's talk to a man on the moon but can't get reasonable cell service to my small town?

Despite it all... we are still very gratefull to Verizon for ALWAYS bending over backwards to resolve the issues... But AT-T?.... you suck... and so does your nasty attitude employees... we will never go back... its been 20 years... Thank You Verizon!, I hope this fix helps your customers having the same issues...

PS... Verizon programmers... stop trying to fix that which is not broken.... 😉

0 Likes