1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2011 5:56 PM by colfrmb2 RSS

Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?

kc1768

Bought new phone under NE2, hated it, exchanged it, hate second one too. 

If I return the 2nd phone and stick with my old phone and wait for newer phones in 4th Qtr or 1st Qtr 2012, will I still have my upgrade discount?

TIA

Kevin

• 1. Re: Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?
          vereyezuhn

kc1768 wrote:

Bought new phone under NE2, hated it, exchanged it, hate second one too. 

If I return the 2nd phone and stick with my old phone and wait for newer phones in 4th Qtr or 1st Qtr 2012, will I still have my upgrade discount?

TIA

Kevin

You're limited to one exchange when upgrading. If you've already exchanged it once, you have to keep the phone, or just plain return it. You will not get your upgrade eligibility or NE2 back.

• 2. Re: Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?
            SuzyQ

vereyezuhn wrote:
            ... You're limited to one exchange when upgrading. If you've already exchanged it once, you have to keep the phone, or just plain return it. You will not get your upgrade eligibility or NE2 back.

Why would the OP NOT get eligibility back if everything was returned?  It's my understanding that everything would reset if everythingis returned . . . .

Perhaps an "official" can weigh in on this?  I know you are limited to one exchange, but if you return that one also.....

• 3. Re: Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?
              SydneyK

Well, I'm not "official," but unless something has changed this year, you can't return a phone if you've made one exchange. That will be your phone until your next upgrade date.

• 4. Re: Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?
                vereyezuhn

SuzyQ wrote:

vereyezuhn wrote:
                ... You're limited to one exchange when upgrading. If you've already exchanged it once, you have to keep the phone, or just plain return it. You will not get your upgrade eligibility or NE2 back.

Why would the OP NOT get eligibility back if everything was returned?  It's my understanding that everything would reset if everythingis returned . . . .

Perhaps an "official" can weigh in on this?  I know you are limited to one exchange, but if you return that one also.....

Verizon changed this policy earlier this year (along with everything else, it seems) so that you're limited to one exchange. Which means, you can exchange your phone once, but if you don't like the new phone, you can't exchange it again and get the 2 year contract price on another. You can certainly return it, but what's the point if you don't get your upgrade eligibility back?

I asked the same question back in Feb. when my upgrade rolled around, and was told the same thing. One exchange and then you're stuck.

• 5. Re: Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?
                  SuzyQ

Hmm, well, then , OK.  I knew you had one exchange, then you either kept that phone or returned it - did not realize that returning it did not reset your contract.  Hmmmm....

I guess that makes sense, sort of.  Otherwise you could keep returning and resetting . . . then try two more . . . return, reset, try two more, etc.  Yeah, it makes sense.  Thankfully, we've never had to experience this.  The one time we did an exchange we were happy with the second phone (my son still has that as his backup!) so never had to find out what happened beyond that.

So you can return the first phone, no exchange, contract resets, time passes, then try another - patience with the process would come into play if you were to try several phones.

• 6. Re: Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?
                    badgermobile

Is there still the $35 restocking fee for the first exchange? (If yes, I would think that would discourage anyone from wanting to do even the first exchange)

• 7. Re: Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?
                      kittyhawkgrl

Yes there is!!!! I just got the droind prop and it lasted 6 hours and I did nothing with it!!! I was goinna return it but yes the fee is 35.00 and you can only return ONE time!!! Aslo I was told I would get the 50.00 online discount and she didn't give it to me...do you think anyone is helping me???? NO verizon has horrible customer service!!

• 8. Re: Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?
                        DaisyP_VZW

Thanks to all the community members for your replies.

OP/

Hello kc1768,

I know returning and exchanging a device can get a little confusing but I’d be happy to clarify your questions.  When you upgrade your device directly from Verizon Wireless you do have a 14 day worry free guaranteed exchange/return period from the original purchased date. You are limited to one exchange during this period.  In your case if you are now in your second device you are able to return it, if you’re still during the 14 day window of the original purchase. Keep in mind a $35 restocking fee does apply. Once your device is returned your contract and upgrade eligibility date will reset. Feel free to visit our Return Policy for more information.  I’m sure this clarified your concerns. Have a great day!

• 9. Re: Do I lose upgrade eligibility if I return the phone?
                          badgermobile

DaisyP_VZW,

If returned within 14 days, does the NE2 credit revert onto the account as well?

If it is an exchange, you simply pay the difference between the new phone and the exchanged phone, and there's no need for any resetting of the upgrade eligibility, correct?

Thanks.

1 2 Previous Next