9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2011 3:49 AM by badgermobile RSS

    AoL question

    GTIMKV
      I have the following questions regarding AoL:
      1. Is the original owner responsible for all charges on the account up to the day before the AoL?
      2. When taking over a number with AoL, can I add it as a secondary line on my family plan, regardless what's the original plan is?
      3. How long will be my contract on the new line? 1-year, 2-year, or until the original contract (before the AoL under original owner) ends?
        • 1. Re: AoL question
          rcschnoor

          GTIMKV wrote:
          I have the following questions regarding AoL:
          1. Is the original owner responsible for all charges on the account up to the day before the AoL?
          2. When taking over a number with AoL, can I add it as a secondary line on my family plan, regardless what's the original plan is?
          3. How long will be my contract on the new line? 1-year, 2-year, or until the original contract (before the AoL under original owner) ends?


          1 - Why is this even a question? I would not be willing to take over being responsible for someone's line if they were not responsible enough to take care of any charges they had incurred prior to transfer of responsibity.

          2 - yes

          3 - The original contract dates will still hold as before the transfer of responsibility.

           

          Edit on #1 - I would assume that if any charges have not been taken care of before the transfer of responsibility, the new owner of that line would then be responsible for those charges.

          • 2. Re: AoL question
            GTIMKV

            That's why I asked question 1. I think the fair play would be for Verizon to prorate everything up to the day before the AoL and charge the original owner. Since Verizon always bill next month, he should get some refund unless there are huge overage.

            • 3. Re: AoL question
              rcschnoor

              GTIMKV wrote:

              That's why I asked question 1. I think the fair play would be for Verizon to prorate everything up to the day before the AoL and charge the original owner. Since Verizon always bill next month, he should get some refund unless there are huge overage.



              Doing an "Assumption of Liability" is just that, you are ASSUMING LIABILITY for the line. Once you have ASSUMED LIABILITY for the contract, the original owner is no longer under contract and therefore has no obligatiion for any charges on that line. The new owner that ASSUMED LIABILITY now has the obligation.

               

              Whether or not the new owner has the common sense to have the old owner take care of any outstanding charges PRIOR to ASSUMING LIABILITY, is another question altogether. Verizon is not there to act as a referee to decide fair play between people. That is between them.

              • 4. Re: AoL question
                KinquanaH_VZW

                I would like to thank the community for your input and also add some information about the steps regarding the Assumption of Liability. The information below is important for the current account owner and new account owner to review.

                 

                ( Current Account Owner) In order to accomplish an Assumption of Liability, the following requirements must be met:

                 

                1.        Account balance must be current.

                2.        Current account owner will continue to be responsible for account charges until the transfer has been completed.

                3.        New assuming customer must agree to the Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions.

                4.        If the line that is being transferred is the primary line on a Family SharePlan, or is the only secondary line on a Family SharePlan please contact Customer Service at 1-800-922-0204 to have the remaining line(s) placed on eligible calling plans. This must be completed prior to processing the Assumption of Liability.

                5.        Current account owner must contact Customer Service at 1-800-922-0204 to authorize the account transfer with the name of the new assuming customer.

                 

                 

                (New Account Owner) Listed below are the new customer's requirements to assume liability for someone else's line of service once the current owner has called and authorized release of the line:

                 

                 

                1. New assuming account owner must review the Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions prior to assuming the account. The Customer Agreement can be viewed by clicking on the “Customer Agreement” link located at the bottom of the www.verizonwireless.com home page.

                2.        If the new assuming account owner agrees to the Terms and Conditions, and up to a one-year contract term, they will need to call the Verizon Wireless Assumption of Liability Department at 1-888-832-4540.

                         

                 

                A representative will assist the new assuming account owner with completing the Assumption of Liability request. The service assumption will be subject to a credit check for the assuming account owner.   The new assuming account owner may also be required to switch to current pricing and promotions. Note: A security deposit may be required. If the new assuming account owner will be adding this line to an existing Verizon Wireless account, the account must be current.

                • 5. Re: AoL question
                  badgermobile

                  KinquanaH_VZW wrote:

                  2.        If the new assuming account owner agrees to the Terms and Conditions, and up to a one-year contract term, they will need to call the Verizon Wireless Assumption of Liability Department at 1-888-832-4540.


                  KinquanaH_VZW,

                   

                  I have a similar situation where I'd like to transfer my individual account in WI into my family's FamilyShare account in NY. However, I just upgraded to a smartphone and signed a 2-yr contract on my individual account.

                   

                  If we proceed with this transfer, will the AoL's 1-yr contract be tacked onto the 2-yr that I had on my individual account, making it a 3-yr contract? Or will the 1-yr run concurrently/parallel with the 2-yr?

                   

                  Thanks.

                  -badgermobile

                  • 6. Re: AoL question
                    SuzyQ

                    badgermobile wrote:

                    I have a similar situation where I'd like to transfer my individual account in WI into my family's FamilyShare account in NY. However, I just upgraded to a smartphone and signed a 2-yr contract on my individual account.

                     

                    If we proceed with this transfer, will the AoL's 1-yr contract be tacked onto the 2-yr that I had on my individual account, making it a 3-yr contract? Or will the 1-yr run concurrently/parallel with the 2-yr? If your contract has more than one year remaining, then your contract remains the same.  Contracts are never more than 24 months....

                     

                    Thanks.

                    -badgermobile


                     

                    • 7. Re: AoL question
                      badgermobile

                      Whew, thanks SuzyQ! I'm relieved AoL won't make it a 3-year!

                      • 8. Re: AoL question
                        GTIMKV

                        badgermobile wrote:

                        Whew, thanks SuzyQ! I'm relieved AoL won't make it a 3-year!


                        Actually, your contract after AoL will be 1-year regardless of the remaining contract before the AoL. However, the date that you are eligible for discounted phones will still be 20 months from the start of the contract before the AoL.

                         

                        Here's an example: If you upgraded to a new phone and renewed your contract in April 2011, then did an AoL this month (Sept), you contract end date will be Sept 2012, NOT April 2013. However, you will not be eligble to get discounted phones until Dec 2012, or 20 months after the original contract start date (April 2011). You will see this clearly in MyVerizon, that your contract end date is 3 months before your date of upgrade eligibility.

                         

                        And how do I know this? Because the example above was my own experience.

                        • 9. Re: AoL question
                          badgermobile

                          GTIMKV wrote:

                           

                          Actually, your contract after AoL will be 1-year regardless of the remaining contract before the AoL. However, the date that you are eligible for discounted phones will still be 20 months from the start of the contract before the AoL.

                           

                          Here's an example: If you upgraded to a new phone and renewed your contract in April 2011, then did an AoL this month (Sept), you contract end date will be Sept 2012, NOT April 2013. However, you will not be eligble to get discounted phones until Dec 2012, or 20 months after the original contract start date (April 2011). You will see this clearly in MyVerizon, that your contract end date is 3 months before your date of upgrade eligibility.

                           

                          And how do I know this? Because the example above was my own experience.


                          Thanks GTIMKV for the info. Makes me wonder why VZW has it set up like that after performing an AoL: a 1-yr contract not aligned with the 20 month upgrade date.

                           

                          There's really no advantage here for the customer it seems. So you can't upgrade until your original 2-yr is at 20 months, but you can terminate service after the AoL's 1-yr contract. Kind of odd.