9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2009 10:08 PM by nmchileman RSS

Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?

Peacefrog03

I have heard 3 different ways to activate this contract phone (Alias) as a prepaid phone.  Which way will be the easiest and free of an activation fee?

dial *611

call 877-777-5759

dial *22898

are they all pretty much the same and free from an activation fee?

thanks again.

• 1. Re: Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?
          Peacefrog03
          Oh and by the way I am going to be a new customer not an existing one if that makes a difference....thanks.
          • 2. Re: Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?
            nmchileman

Have you already received a number for your phone? If so, then you'll just need to dial *228 and select option 1.

If you haven't received a new number for your phone then you haven't set up an account yet and you'll need to speak to prepaid activations.

You only get charged the activation fee for actually opening up the account and activating the number. You won't get a charge for just programming the phone with *228.

• 3. Re: Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?
              Peacefrog03

No I just got the phone today and haven't done anything with it except writing down the ESN and stuff like that.

Which number do I dial to speak to prepaid activations?

I only get the activation fee when I open an account and activate a number?   Well won't I have to do that anyways?  And what do you mean by I won't get a fee for just programming the phone?  Is that the same as activating it and getting a number etc.?

• 4. Re: Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?
                Peacefrog03

Maybe to make this easier on me could you just give me a step by step on what to do to get this phone up and running?

Things maybe you should know about my situation...

-I will be a new customer,

-I don't have a number yet,

-It is the Alias (contract phone) that I want to use for the prepay service, (Basic Plan)

-No current contract on the phone,

-Clean ESN

Bottom line, I have done nothing to the phone yet except turn it on and write down ESN and stuff so I need to start from the beginning and avoid any activation fee of any sort.  Thanks

• 5. Re: Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?
                  nmchileman

Prepaid Activations can be reached at: 877-777-5759.

Call them and ask to start up a new prepaid account. They'll give you a number and you'll give them the ESN to activate the service and phone. You're not going to be able to avoid an activation fee, it's required for opening a new line with prepaid service. It should only be $35.

After you get a phone number and whatnot they'll tell you to program the phone by dialing *228 and selecting option 1.

Actually, it looks like per the T&Cs here there is a $35 activation fee, not $25. And that's for establishing new service with Verizon.

Message Edited by nmchileman on 08-12-2009 02:29 PM
                  • 6. Re: Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?
                    Peacefrog03
                    Alright I understand now I was clueless as to what number to call and in which order to do it in....and just 1 more thing and I think I can stop bugging you for awile, haha.  To pay the activation fee, will they just take the $35 off my first card that I get?    If so, that sucks cuz I was going to wait a few days maybe even a week to add money/minutes to the phone.(I need more cash)   So if that is the case and thats how I pay the activation fee, I pretty much have no choice but to get a card right away eh?  Thanks again man, you have been a big help on all my questions, you seem to be the one answering most of them....haha.
                    Message Edited by Peacefrog03 on 08-12-2009 02:33 PM
                    • 7. Re: Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?
                      nmchileman

Hmm. I don't actually know how the activation fee gets billed. Got me stumped there. :smileytongue:

The rep should let you know before you go thru with everything how your bill, activation fee and minutes are all gonna work out. Then you can decide to go thru with it or not.

Good luck.

• 8. Re: Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?
                        Peacefrog03
                        Well alrighty, I called that 877 number and the machine said to either set up an account online or *228 so I did it online with success then it said I needed to dial the *228 after I finished the online stuff to program it and it seems as though I am rdy to go, I got my number and everything but nothing was said about an activation fee...hmm idk maybe it will take it off my first card....anywho thanks again man you have been a big help.
                        • 9. Re: Just got my phone....which number to dial to activate?
                          nmchileman

Sweet. Well it's good to know that you can do it online and you don't have to call. But I bet that activation fee will be taken off the initial balance you put on the card, if at all. So just prepare for it. If it doesn't happen, even better!

Glad to see it worked out for you. Have fun.