1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2013 11:30 PM by DontRegister RSS

Verizon is buying back "basic phones

DontRegister

so they wont have to activate them... again, forcing everyone to get a Smartphone.

Im keeping my media & flip phones.... JUST IN CASE

• 1. Re: Verizon is buying back "basic phones
          vereyezuhn

How is that forcing everyone to get a smartphone? They're not going around to everyone who owns a basic phone and telling them they have to sell them back.

The program is for people who are upgrading from a basic phone to a smartphone. There's no forcing at all, it's an OPTIONAL program for people who have no use for their older phones, and are going to upgrade to a smartphone anyway. Those people would just keep their old basic phone unused in a corner somewhere.

Tell me again, how is this Verizon "taking away" the basic phones so you can't use them, when it's optional?

• 2. Re: Verizon is buying back "basic phones
            rignu217

DontRegister wrote:

so they wont have to activate them... again, forcing everyone to get a Smartphone.

My upgrade's coming up in December. Let me tell you something - Verizon has never forced me into buying anything I didn't want. Last time, it was random cases and covers and a car charger. I didn't want any of them and I'm glad I didn't waste my money. I will however be participating in this program because I have a basic phone and am upgrading to a smartphone. I think it's a great program, honestly. More companies should do this.

• 3. Re: Verizon is buying back "basic phones
              SuzyQ

DontRegister wrote:

And that is entirely your perogative.  In my daughter's case, it was an excellent option fo rher.  The Env3 she had was getting more troublesome by the day, and would NOT be a good backup, just in case.  The $100 gift card was much more valuable to her, and we don'tmind sending in the Env3 to get it.  We also have a supply of older flip phones we can fall back on.  So in this case, we didn't want to keep the Env3, and $100 will help cover her insurance on the iPhone for several months.

And agian, no one is "forcing" anyone to take advantage of the offer, or even upgrade to a smartphone.  Although I will have to agree that the selection of new phones that do not need a data plan is pretty slim.  My husband is quite attached to his flip phone and there is not much (if anything) that compares to the simplicity and functionality of his LG5400.  He's keeping that for awhile.  The comparable models are sliders or touchscreen, and he wants neither.

So I will agree that things are headed in the direction of all smartphones . . . progress?

• 4. Re: Verizon is buying back "basic phones
                rignu217

I agree SuzyQ. Smartphone are just like any other type of phone, they are not targeted towards everyone. I'm young and I want a smartphone naturally but that's just because new techy stuff fascinates me lol. I will have to say the original flip phones were so much better with their batteries and reception. Phones are like cars - the oldies are the goodies.

• 5. Re: Verizon is buying back "basic phones
                  DontRegister

SuzyQ wrote:

DontRegister wrote:

Although I will have to agree that the selection of new phones that do not need a data plan is pretty slim.   

thats the bottom line... "take back" a few, a few get lost, a few get broken, a few people want to surf and BAM you're "options" will be very verrrrrrrrrrrry limited.

twist the word FORCED around all you want...

Im assuming you're still carry a pager and a Motorola StarTac

• 6. Re: Verizon is buying back "basic phones
                    DontRegister

rignu217 wrote:

I'm young and I want a smartphone naturally but that's just because new techy stuff fascinates me lol.

again point proven... and the phone maker along with Verizon knows this.

who's waiting for the IPhone 5 to come out..... what's wrong with the Iphone 2?

fascinates blah blah blah... you use that and I'll use FORCED

• 7. Re: Verizon is buying back "basic phones
                      DontRegister

vereyezuhn wrote:

How is that forcing everyone to get a smartphone? They're not going around to everyone who owns a basic phone and telling them they have to sell them back.

The program is for people who are upgrading from a basic phone to a smartphone. There's no forcing at all, it's an OPTIONAL program for people who have no use for their older phones, and are going to upgrade to a smartphone anyway. Those people would just keep their old basic phone unused in a corner somewhere.

Tell me again, how is this Verizon "taking away" the basic phones so you can't use them, when it's optional?

why wouldnt they have any use if they are USING them... why upgrade?

Why would Verizon promote this, what are they going to do with the OLD phones, refurbish and resell them, WAIT ON IT!

their lil treats seems like sweet deals huh

sooooo finally Verizon is doing something in the customer's favor? (rolling eyes)

• 8. Re: Verizon is buying back "basic phones
                        vereyezuhn

DontRegister wrote:

vereyezuhn wrote:

Why would Verizon promote this, what are they going to do with the OLD phones, refurbish and resell them, WAIT ON IT!

sooooo finally Verizon is doing something in the customer's favor? (rolling eyes)

This almost completely negates your original statement. You're saying they're buying back all the "dumb" phones so they force everyone to get smartphones - then WHY WOULD THEY REFURBISH AND SELL THE FEATURE PHONES?! If that is the case, you would STILL (actually, in the near future, according to you) have a very wide range of feature phones.

You're arguing that they're getting rid of dumb phones, yet now you're saying they're going to start "collecting" them from their customers and re-selling them. Complete contradiction.

Seriously? Think about what you're saying before you post a rant, please. None of your replies even make sense. NONE of the replies to your OP "prove" your point like you say. None of them. Every single one is disagreeing with you. So basically you're saying that YOU'RE the one whose wrong by saying the replies prove your point. Yep, real smart there. Think before you speak, hun.

Re-reading your replies on here, I can't even understand what you're trying to say. Your grammar is terrible, for one. For two, your replies sound like they're taken from the middle of a conversation, and have almost nothing to do with the posts you've quoted. Your forum rights should be revoked.

• 9. Re: Verizon is buying back "basic phones
                          CharmingPhlsphr

DontRegister wrote:

All you are doing is trying to put a negative spin on something that is ultimately beneficial. The heads of VZW have always acknowledged a large market for basic devices and no plans to remove that focus, but they understand that there is a large trend to smartphones. Businesses have to go to where the business is.

1 2 Previous Next