1 2 Previous Next 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 6:59 AM by Tidbits Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Grandfathered in Data Plan

Hez77

Ok, so I have been a long time customer with Verizon. I have 2 cells (ENV Touch) on my plan. Now I am grandfathered into this plan. Yet now that both lines are do for a Upgrade they want me to pay the extra for the Data plan? Really??!!!  So with doing research and online chatting with multiple Verizon customer service reps, They tell me that I can keep my old plan with the unlimited Data, and upgrade to the Driod, and iPhones. Yet everytime I go to do so I am told I cant. WTH??? Anyone have this same issue? Please help......

• 1. Re: Grandfathered in Data Plan
          Ann154
          When you upgrade to a smartphone from a feature phone with the unlimited data plan, you must select from the currently available data plan options.

The feature phone unlimited data plan was and is coded differently than the smartphone unlimited data plan in VZW's system. You are grandfathered into the feature phone unlimited data plan and can keep it as long as you keep a feature phone on that line. Those upgrade from a smartphone to another smartphone with the unlimited data plan can keep the unlimited data plan.
          • 2. Re: Grandfathered in Data Plan
            Hez77

The reps tell me that I can keep my full plan that I have now with the unlimited Data plan, and upgrade to the Driod and the iPhone, but when I go online to do so it tells me I have to change my plan. So explain that.

• 3. Re: Grandfathered in Data Plan
              vereyezuhn

I feel like you're either hearing it wrong, or are leaving out information when talking to these reps.

Verizon reps are well informed that non-smartphones with the unlimited data plans are NOT grandfathered in, and those upgrading to a smartphone must pick from the tiered plans.

Only those with a smartphone currently activated on their line with the unlimited data plan before 7/7/11 are grandfathered in with the unlimited data.

Feature phone unlimited data plans are not the same as smartphone unlimited data plans. They are coded differently in Verizon's systems.

• 4. Re: Grandfathered in Data Plan
                DontRegister

they'll be unlimited data after you pay the 29.99 a month for each phone..... they're just saying unlimited based on what they see you are currently using and assuming "he'll never go over the 2GB LIMIT" so it feels like its unlimited.

• 5. Re: Grandfathered in Data Plan
                  jono

vereyezuhn wrote:

I feel like you're either hearing it wrong, or are leaving out information when talking to these reps.

{please keep your posts courteous} Thanks for you feelings and assumptions.

Same thing happened to me.  I called the night before the switch and the reps (talked to two different ones) gave me the same info.  I was very persistent in making sure that they understood I was going to buy an android based smartphone and they assured me that the data plan would "upgrade" and I would be grandfathered.

My contract states Unlimited, I just got a text stating I had used half my allocated data.  Called back and the first rep was telling me how feature phone vs smartphone la-da-da.  Don't care.  As I said, my updated contract states unlimited.  Second rep I talked to switched it for me.   Note:  I told first rep who I talked to next and suddenly he couldn't hear me so I had to call back.  Nice.

• 6. Re: Grandfathered in Data Plan
                    scottsample

i have been in same situation    i have had a represenative tell me that verison will try to talk me out of my plan but they have to honor it.    they want me to pay more for less than what i already have.   they want 29.99 for there data package that does have an actual limit to it    but yet i have unlimited data now and its 19.99 on primary line and only 10.00 on my additional lines.    my other upset is that they no longer have any feature phones available   that i can find.   when i bought my lines it was smartphones then feature phones(which then you had to have a data package with) then basic phones......now its smartphones then   basic phones.im not happy AT ALL & my upgrade is due in a couple weeks again & verison needs to honor the contract that they have sold me and that they have honorred once before on upgrade!   any thoughts with this?

Hez77 wrote:

Ok, so I have been a long time customer with Verizon. I have 2 cells (ENV Touch) on my plan. Now I am grandfathered into this plan. Yet now that both lines are do for a Upgrade they want me to pay the extra for the Data plan? Really??!!!  So with doing research and online chatting with multiple Verizon customer service reps, They tell me that I can keep my old plan with the unlimited Data, and upgrade to the Driod, and iPhones. Yet everytime I go to do so I am told I cant. WTH??? Anyone have this same issue? Please help......

• 7. Re: Grandfathered in Data Plan
                      SuzyQ

scottsample wrote:

... i have unlimited data now and its 19.99 on primary line and only 10.00 on my additional lines.Looking at your profile, Scott, that's the CONNECT plan, which was great when it was offered for the feature phones, but unfortunately, no longer exists.  Phones and technology have evolved beyond that ... verison needs to honor the contract that they have sold me  ....  They have, if you are still using the phones and still using internet on them.

Nothing lasts forwever, and the plan and phones you have are outdated.  Even though your contract has expired, you can continue to use the phones on the plan you have indefinitely, as long as they work. 

If you get NEW phones, you'll sign a new contract; you won't be able to keep the same plan - times have changed and the network has changed, and newer phones won't work with the older plans.  You may not like the options available now, but you aren't going to be able to get a new smart phone and keep the CONNECT plan.  You may be able to keep it if you get basic phones for all lines.

And if you choose to purchase the phone from another party, or pay full price to avoid a new contract, the fact remains that the newer phones will not work with the older plan options.  The contract you have in force (or did have) was for a specific type of service for a particular type of phone.  Contract expires, life continues the same, until you make a change.  If you choose to change the phone, then you are limited to the options available NOW, not what was available several years ago.

• 8. Re: Grandfathered in Data Plan
                        Person

I'm having the same issue, I spoke w/ 4 different service reps (2 before 7/7/11) and 2 after. All four assured me that I could upgrade to an I phone 4 and still keep the unlimited data plan that I had in place.  Before I placed my order for the I phone I checked and even told the rep that I didn't want to do the upgrade if my current unlimited data plan wouldn't grandfather in. I was told that it would work just fine. I received my phone today and went to change it over and all of sudden I'm told I have to purchase a data package!?!? What the heck--what is wrong w/these people!!! I'm so furious right now I can't even think straight. This I phone is being returned and I'm looking for a new cell phone carrier this is **bleep**!!!!

• 9. Re: Grandfathered in Data Plan
                          Tidbits

I upgraded a few of our devices just fine and they all still have  unlimited data.  I even downgraded a device and upgraded back and still got the unlimited back.  All I did was dial 611 and got it back(It was for like a few days I broke my D3 and went and bought a new one).

1 2 Previous Next