Calendar reminders (notifications) still NOT working, even after 602 update.....
RussW64

So, Verizon Wireless released the 602 update to the Gingerbread OS for the Droid X, and the calendar reminder popups (notifications) are still NOT working properly. 

This is VERY frustrating, as I use these notifications (reminder pop ups) for everything from business related (meetings, etc) to personal (when to take medicines, etc).

It's also VERY frustrating because BEFORE Gingerbread, when the Droid X ran Froyo, there was NOT a problem with the calendar and its reminders.

I would assume that there are MANY, MANY people being affected by this issue...and I wonder why Verizon hasn't "put the heat" on Google to FIX this issue which is clearly related to the Android OS, more specifically, Gingerbread.

I used to like the Droid X very much, but now I'm counting the days until I can get an iPhone.  At least you know what you're getting, and won't have an update "break" functions of the phone.

So, Verizon, if you're listening... PLEASE get this calendar notification problem FIXED.

Thank you!!

0 Likes
Re: Calendar reminders (notifications) still NOT working, even after 602 update.....
Wildman
Legend
Here's a question, when you did the OS update did you try hard resetting because when a major software fix or update is released I have noticed that some of the upgrades still don't take until the device has been reset because of apps installed that restricted the update from doing the required changes to the OS... Just something to consider.
0 Likes
Re: Calendar reminders (notifications) still NOT working, even after 602 update.....
RussW64

Yup.  Hard Reset from the menu choice when phone was running.

Then when that didn't work, I accessed the service partition and wiped the phone and the cache from there and had it reload.

STILL having problems with the notifications.

0 Likes
ganamide

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? My calendar notifications don't always work and I have the latest 4.5.605.MB810 update from Motorola. This is a real problem for me as I heavily use these notifications. I use them as alarms to help me wake up at the right time, business meetings, and reminders to go to sleep. I find the morning and nighttime reminders to fail almost all the time. Others said this seems to coincide with long periods of inactivity prior to the timer, and my experience confirms this. Did Motorola put in some sort of power saving sleep mode if you don't use your phone for an hour or two? This is VERY frustrating and I am seriously considering alternatives. It is unacceptable to me that Motorola/Verizon have done nothing to fix this problem since it first appeared in June 2011 (4 months ago), especially since it is such a vital feature for some people and since they forced this upgrade on us. I am so mad. As if I don't have better things to do with my life than to deal with upgrade issues.

Please help! Would like to know if other apps or phones are better, [Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

Thanks!

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Have you tried the "Clear Cache" procedure? And if that didn't fix it the "FACTORY RESET" procedure? 

0 Likes
RussW64

I'm the original poster of this topic.  And let me tell you the steps that I went through to try to get this resolved, and then I'll let you know the ultimate solution that I wound up doing and am happy about (but am NOT happy about Verizon & Motorola).

1) updated DroidX to latest 602 update.

2) went into admin partition and deleted cache

still did not work

3) went into admin partition and did hard reset (complete restore) from inside the admin partition

Still did not get calendar reminders to work.

4) went into normal phone and accessed "Restore Phone to Factory Specs" from the Privacy menu in settings.  This caused the phone to do a similar hard reset as in step 3, except it also ran the beginning software (welcome to your Droid, we now have to activate your phone, etc).

Calendar reminders did not work. (REMEMBER... when I say they did not work, I mean that the reminders would go off EVENTUALLY , but anywhere from 30mins AFTER the appointment to literally HOURS AFTER the appointment).

5) Created a COMPLETELY NEW AND DIFFERENT calendar at Google under a DIFFERENT screen name/account.  Configured DroidX to completely forget the original calendar and to start using the NEW one.

Reminders still did NOT work properly.

6) Once again, tried hard resets.

NOPE.  Still did NOT work.

7) CALLED Verizon Wireless and described my problem and they pretty much didn't/couldn't help and said they would "send a report to the engineering team" about the problem.

And HERE is the thing that REALLY BURNED ME UP about this WHOLE ENTIRE DEBACLE.....  my DroidX worked 100% correctly BEFORE the Gingerbread upgrade to the Android OS.  When it was running Froyo (previous OS), every single calendar reminder on my original calendar worked every single time, on time, every time.  BUT... AFTER Gingerbread, it just didn't work.  (Don't get me started with the phantom powering on of the phone after it was powered off problem that STILL exists after the 602 upgrade).

SO.......... what did I eventually do???   Well, by this time, I was eligible for early upgrade at upgrading pricing and switched to the iPhone4 (I didn't want the 4S).  AND YOU KNOW WHAT???  Using the ORIGINAL GOOGLE calendar that I used before all the above stuff happened, my reminders on the iPhone4 work all the time, every time.  These include appointments that I made 8 months ago to new ones that I make every day.  And for all of them, the iPhone4 sets the reminder chime off EXACTLY when I want it to.

Now, I realize that this doesn't address the problem for you, Ganamide (who wrote above), but for me, I finally got to the point where I had missed critical appointments with clients and couldn't wait around for the DroidX Calendar Reminder Problem to be resolved.

So Verizon Wireless and Motorola (maker of DroidX) and Google (maker of Android OS) all have "negative points" in my book for allowing such a problem to continue without proper resolution.   Apple, on the other hand, gets "positive points" in my book for making a product that is rock solid and works well.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

@Russ - glad you found a solution that worked for you. Enjoy your iPhone .. Sorry you had to go to that extreme to get this issue resolved.

@ganamide - another thing I wanted to ask is are you using the stock Calendar APP? If so, I'd also try to boot into SAFE MODE, set some appts over a 1/2 hour period, and see if you get the notifications. If you DO, then I wold be very suspicious of a 3rd party App that has introduced your problem. If you STILL don't get alerts, then try the CLEAR CACHE as I previously suggested. (The CLEAR CACHE form teh POWER UP & HOLD Button process -- not just from SETTINGS / APPLICATIONS.

Give a holler if you can't find those procedures using SEARCH above.

I just want to add that for ME, the Alerts have always worked perfectly after GB ...  but then again, at some point I did a CLEAR CACHE and a FACTORY RESET for another issue.. (Auto power up afer shutdown  - which of course was a waste of time.) I also use a 3rd party Calendar APP (Touch Calendar) & sync everything between Google & Outlook & the Phone.

Good luck.

0 Likes
ganamide

@Russ - Thank you so much for your detailed explanation, and so prompt too! I have read many posts related to this issue and I don't see any reason for me to go through the trouble of clearing the cache, factory resetting, and all that jazz, especially when I have a pretty good idea that the real problem is in the Android OS.

@Cody - Thank you also for your prompt replies. I don't want to waste my time doing unnecessary steps when others, like Russ, have confirmed they don't work. But in the end, I might end up trying all those things you mentioned if I can't find another solution first.

I'm a programmer by trade and I can tell based on all the posts I have read, both here and on Google.com, that the real problem is most likely that the Android OS puts the alert monitoring process to sleep in a bid to save battery power. This is a problem with the stock Calendar app and/or the Android OS, and the only thing that can fix it is an Android update.

I'm not sure what your usage patterns are, but the conditions for setting up for failure involve creating a recurring (daily) Calendar Event for the morning when you usually wake up, attaching a Calendar Reminder of 15 minutes to this event, and not having any thing else wake up the phone for at least one hour before this event is supposed to fire.

I usually have my phone connected to the charger next to my bed when I go to sleep, and I don't have any other alarms set for that time or any load monitoring apps running in the background that would keep my phone awake. Sometimes I miss other events as well, even in the middle of the day when I am at work. Sometimes the morning event goes off, perhpas because my phone was awakened by an email notification or something similar.

Hopefully I will find an easy solution because I don't really want to download the Android OS code and have to fix it myself. That's not what I am paying Verizon $$$ for.

0 Likes
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

RussW64 wrote:

So Verizon Wireless and Motorola (maker of DroidX) and Google (maker of Android OS) all have "negative points" in my book for allowing such a problem to continue without proper resolution.   Apple, on the other hand, gets "positive points" in my book for making a product that is rock solid and works well.

The fault is not with Google...the fault lies with Moto and VZW and how much modification they both make to the GB operating system. Blur is alot of the problem and its a KNOWN problem to Moto. Google only provides the stock OS to Moto who in turn gives their mod to VZW (including BLUR) and they make certain changes to it. It's no different than Microsoft giving the stock Windows 7 image to HP and HP making changes within the OS image to work with their equipment prior to sale. HP, Dell, Acer, etc, ALL make changes to the stock Windows image and while Windows is a piece of junk by itself, it becomes a bigger piece of junk after the computer makers get done with it, so you can't blame Google for the fault of what Moto and VZW do to the phone.

I personally have no problem with the Google calendar and I even have it setup to sync with my work email through the Google Sync app installed on my work computer, so it reminds me when it needs to be reminded, etc. Now I probably have problems with my phone that you don't have but I don't blame Google for the mess, because if it was Googles fault, the DX would not be the only Android phone having problems

0 Likes
RussW64

The problem lies with all 3 companies:  Google, Motorola, and Verizon Wireless.

Google makes the OS.

Motorola makes the phone.

Verizon provides the wireless/cellular phone service.

The three of them should work together to solve the problem.

As I stated earlier, in Froyo (the OS before Gingerbread), there was NO problem at all with calendar reminders.... none.  Gingerbread came along, and there have been two interim updates, and the problem persists.

But, as I also stated earlier, for me the problem is now moot because I switched to the iPhone 4 and have no problems whatsoever.

So, I wish those with the original DroidX like I had, good luck.

0 Likes