6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2011 10:06 PM by spottedcatfish Branched to a new discussion. RSS

CAN I REPLACE MY PHONE!?!?

aflores139

I have a LG Chocolate Touch and recently my phones touch screen has been acting up i'll be trying to write a text message and i will hit a specific botton but the touch screen will select the one i didn't touch, or my screen will not work at all. What i was wondering is my boyfriend has a spare blackberry curve and i wanted to know if i could replace my phone with that phone? and if so will it change my plan or will i be charge for changing phones?

• 1. Re: CAN I REPLACE MY PHONE!?!?
          spottedcatfish

aflores139 wrote:

I have a LG Chocolate Touch and recently my phones touch screen has been acting up i'll be trying to write a text message and i will hit a specific botton but the touch screen will select the one i didn't touch, or my screen will not work at all. What i was wondering is my boyfriend has a spare blackberry curve and i wanted to know if i could replace my phone with that phone?If he has a Verizon-branded phone with a clear ESN, then, yes, you will be able to activate it on your line.  A clear ESN means that the phone is not currently active on another account, has not been reported lost or stolen, and was not associated with an account with an unpaid balance.  If you get the ESN (usually found on a sticker under the battery), you can call Verizon to confirm that it is clear.

and if so will it change my plan or will i be charge for changing phones? You may have to change your plan if you are on an older "grandfathered" plan, and you will also have to add a smartphone data feature.  The data packages for smartphones start at $30/month for 2GB of data.  You will not be charged a fee for activating a different phone.

• 2. Re: CAN I REPLACE MY PHONE!?!?
            hesiarp

Question for you, spottedcatfish

Sorry to barge into the thread, but I have the same question and didn't want to start a new thread.

Just to clarify, you're saying that if I were to replace my regular, malfunctioning phone with a Blackberry, I can purchase the data plan separately right then without any extra charge, even if my upgrade is in January?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: CAN I REPLACE MY PHONE!?!?
              SuzyQ

hesiarp wrote:

... Just to clarify, you're saying that if I were to replace my regular, malfunctioning phone with a Blackberry, I can purchase the data plan separately right then without any extra charge, even if my upgrade is in January?  Yes, as long as the Blackberry is branded Verizon, not listed as lost or stolen, and not connected to an account with collection problems, you should be able to activate it on your line, and add the data plan.

If you mean can you purchase  BlackBerry from Verizon as your upgrade NOW, then no, you need to wait until your upgrade date to do that.  But if you are talking about activating an unused BlackBerry from a friend or other source, then yes, you can do that to get you through till January when you are eligible to purchase a discounted phone.

Thanks!

PS - Sorry for jumping in on a question addressed to Mr. Catfish - but we are all friends here, right?  :smileyhappy:

• 4. Re: CAN I REPLACE MY PHONE!?!?
                hesiarp

Yes, that's exactly what I meant--my friend has a spare one she can give to me.

Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: CAN I REPLACE MY PHONE!?!?
                  aflores139

My phone is not a smart phone but it still has a data plan will that have to change if I get a blackberry and is there an $30 extra fee for using a black berry?

• 6. Re: CAN I REPLACE MY PHONE!?!?
                    spottedcatfish

If you activate any smartphones, including a Blackberry, you'll have to add a data plan of at least $30/2GB.

And thanks for the follow-up Suzy!