1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2011 6:15 AM by Tidbits RSS

Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line

cdanm3

On our shared family plan, two phones have unlimited data (pre-July 2011) at $30/mo. Now, I want to upgrade one of the lines on our plan to a similar level. From a regular phone to a smartphone. To get anything comparable to the unlimited data on the new smartphone would cost $100/mo for that line. At this point, it would be a cost savings for us to cancel that line and move number to Sprint. At Sprint, a smart phone with 450 minutes, unlimited text and data would be $70/mo.

This seems like a stupid business plan by Verizon. Surely I am missing something here. But if I am correct, as each phone on our shared family plan becomes available to upgrade, we should move to Sprint. Is that correct?

• 1. Re: Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line
          Jwoww

I would. I myself have Cricket, 45$ a month for unlimited everything on a basic phone. It's 55$ for unlimited everything on a smart phone.

• 2. Re: Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line
            rcschnoor

cdanm3 wrote:

On our shared family plan, two phones have unlimited data (pre-July 2011) at $30/mo. Now, I want to upgrade one of the lines on our plan to a similar level. From a regular phone to a smartphone. To get anything comparable to the unlimited data on the new smartphone would cost $100/mo for that line. At this point, it would be a cost savings for us to cancel that line and move number to Sprint. At Sprint, a smart phone with 450 minutes, unlimited text and data would be $70/mo.

This seems like a stupid business plan by Verizon. Surely I am missing something here. But if I am correct, as each phone on our shared family plan becomes available to upgrade, we should move to Sprint. Is that correct?

Depends on your data usage and the network coverage in your area.

Do you use 12+GB/month on EACH of your smartphones? If so, you are in the 5% of Verizon customers that use that much or more data. Will the contracts on your current lines run out before Sprint converts their unlimited data plans to tiered data plans like ATT and Verizon already have. They have announced that they plan on doing so, but haven't put any dates out yet for the switch. If you change carriers after the switch, you would have 1 phone with unlimited and 2 phones with tiered. This is exactly the opposite of what you would have right now with Verizon.

If you ARE that heavy of a data user on ALL of your cell phones, then maybe switching to Sprint MAY in fact be the answer to you. Additionally, maybe it would even be better for you if you switch ALL of your lines to Sprint NOW, before they switch to the tiered data you so desperately need. Be advised, though, I believe Sprint does throttle the speed of your data after you reach a certain threshold, which is ~2GB in a month. After you reach this level of data, your data transmission speed will drop on the remaining 10GB that you use in that month.

These are all questions that need to be considered before you either decide to stay with Verizon or change to another carrier.

• 3. Re: Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line
              acraftylady

Jwoww wrote:

I would. I myself have Cricket, 45$ a month for unlimited everything on a basic phone. It's 55$ for unlimited everything on a smart phone.

You are lucky cricket service is good where you are because here it's horrible.  My friend has a non smart phone and any where inside she can never make calls and if she receives one she gets disconnected constantly and it's horrible.  I saw for myself at bowling one night how horrible and me I can text make and receive numors calls in the bowling alley and don't have any of these trouble or any buidlihgs I go in but her cricket service is a different story so she has to go outside all the time even in Walmart and stuff.  Mary

• 4. Re: Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line
                Tidbits

rcschnoor wrote:

cdanm3 wrote:

Depends on your data usage and the network coverage in your area.

Do you use 12+GB/month on EACH of your smartphones? If so, you are in the 5% of Verizon customers that use that much or more data. Will the contracts on your current lines run out before Sprint converts their unlimited data plans to tiered data plans like ATT and Verizon already have. They have announced that they plan on doing so, but haven't put any dates out yet for the switch. If you change carriers after the switch, you would have 1 phone with unlimited and 2 phones with tiered. This is exactly the opposite of what you would have right now with Verizon.

If you ARE that heavy of a data user on ALL of your cell phones, then maybe switching to Sprint MAY in fact be the answer to you. Additionally, maybe it would even be better for you if you switch ALL of your lines to Sprint NOW, before they switch to the tiered data you so desperately need. Be advised, though, I believe Sprint does throttle the speed of your data after you reach a certain threshold, which is ~2GB in a month. After you reach this level of data, your data transmission speed will drop on the remaining 10GB that you use in that month.

These are all questions that need to be considered before you either decide to stay with Verizon or change to another carrier.

Funny people should read their contract.  Sprint flat out LIES when they say they don't throttle you.  If you read their terms they prethrottle some services from the start.  So to say they don't throttle is a lie.  Also if you ever domestically roam you are capped at 300minutes or 300MB of data.  There's a slew of other things in their tos which is a raw deal.
                • 5. Re: Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line
                  Tidbits

acraftylady wrote:

Jwoww wrote:

You are lucky cricket service is good where you are because here it's horrible.  My friend has a non smart phone and any where inside she can never make calls and if she receives one she gets disconnected constantly and it's horrible.  I saw for myself at bowling one night how horrible and me I can text make and receive numors calls in the bowling alley and don't have any of these trouble or any buidlihgs I go in but her cricket service is a different story so she has to go outside all the time even in Walmart and stuff.  Mary

Cricket throttles you and they have a "fair use" clause within their terms.  They can terminate your contract and leave you hanging if they deemed you use too much of any service.  It's more cost effective to terminate you than to keep you.  Same thing Sprint does as well.
                  • 6. Re: Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line
                    Jwoww

Tidbits wrote:

acraftylady wrote:

Jwoww wrote:

Cricket throttles you and they have a "fair use" clause within their terms.  They can terminate your contract and leave you hanging if they deemed you use too much of any service.  It's more cost effective to terminate you than to keep you.  Same thing Sprint does as well.

I'm going on year 3 with Cricket and I call and text a {word filter avoidance} ton. I've never heard of anyone being termed  for excesses here and I'm friends with the district manager here.

• 7. Re: Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line
                      acraftylady

I'm going on year 3 with Cricket and I call and text a sh*t ton. I've never heard of anyone being termed  for excesses here and I'm friends with the district manager here.

I couldn't find it for texting but found it for internet usage.  Mary

http://www.mycricket.com/fairuse

• 8. Re: Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line

cdanm3,

Hello there and welcome to the community!

I share your thoughts on unlimited data. If they could keep going on forever, it'd be great. Unfortunately, that is not realistic if carriers want to keep speeds and capacity equal for all users.  As smartphones become more and more popular, the strain on a network is heavier and heavier. As you may know AT&T started tiered data pricing last year, why did they do it first? They had more smartphone users than other carriers and noticed the strain on their network first. Verizon Wireless has the strongest network and to remain the strongest, we've had to adapt. All tiered data pricing means is paying for what you are using. Do you think it's a good idea for the person using 2GB a month to pay the same as someone using 15GB a month? I, personally, do not.

95% of our smartphone users, use 2GB or less. If you are in that small 5%, then you will pay for what you use. We have several tiers designed to ensure you pay for the data you use. No more, No less.

We strive for the best network experience and constantly look for ways to improve that experience!

Thank you!

• 9. Re: Verizon's Stupid Business Plan: Unlimited Data on Different Line
                          SuzyQ

cdanm3 wrote:

On our shared family plan, two phones have unlimited data (pre-July 2011) at $30/mo. (Are these smartphones or "regular" phones?) Now, I want to upgrade one of the lines on our plan to a similar level. From a regular phone to a smartphone. To get anything comparable to the unlimited data on the new smartphone would cost $100/mo for that line. To get unlimited, yes, but do you NEED that much?  I have aBB and use less than 100 MB; my son has an iPhone and uses less than 2 GB; my daughter has a Droid Inc and uses less than 1 GB.   At this point, it would be a cost savings for us to cancel that line and move number to Sprint. At Sprint, a smart phone with 450 minutes, unlimited text and data would be $70/mo.

This seems like a stupid business plan by Verizon. Surely I am missing something here. But if I am correct, as each phone on our shared family plan becomes available to upgrade, we should move to Sprint. Is that correct? If you have 2 lines already on the unlimited smartphone data, then you would keep that even if you upgrade devices.  If your unlimited plan is on a feature phone and you want to upgrade to a smartphone, then you would need to evaluate how much data you would realisitically be using, and you may very well find a less costly option with another provider, if your usage is well above 2 GB a month.  If it's under that amount, or even over by 1 GB, you'd pay what you pay now or $10 more, possibly.  Worth changing providers over?  That's for you to decide.

1 2 Previous Next