9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 2:33 AM by Gadgetman198 RSS

Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)

dreed75

When Verizon temporarily had a $15/month 150MB data plan, I got it for my wife and I. Now I want to upgrade but I want to keep my plan. I wanted a phone from Amazom.com but the closest option was to "Keep existing data plan $29.99/month". Obviously they don't know that I have the $15/month plan but if I got their option, does the "Keep existing plan" part carryover but not the price?

• 1. Re: Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)
          mdram4x4

dreed75 wrote:

When Verizon temporarily had a $15/month 150MB data plan, I got it for my wife and I. Now I want to upgrade but I want to keep my plan. I wanted a phone from Amazom.com but the closest option was to "Keep existing data plan $29.99/month". Obviously they don't know that I have the $15/month plan but if I got their option, does the "Keep existing plan" part carryover but not the price?

in order to keep it you will have to upgrade with verizon

most grandfathered/prmo plans require this

• 2. Re: Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)
            dreed75

ok, the only reason i wanted to go with amazon was because they have a new Fascinate for free but VZW only has a refurb fascinate for free. I only care about the battery. Is the battery new on refurbs? Thanks.

• 3. Re: Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)
              dreed75

mdram4x4 wrote:

dreed75 wrote:

This is from VanessaC_VZW...

This is a really good question!  I even had a little trouble confirming the answer.  However, I found it! You can keep the $15/ 150MB data plan if you are activating another Smartphone on your line(s).  If you switch the phones via My Verizon, the feature, ($15/150MB data plan) may automatically fall off and you will be switched to current pricing.  Therefore, I encourage you to call into Customer Service at 800-922-0204 and speak with a representative to make this change.  This way we can make sure all the correct codes/ features stay as they are, and you keep the $15.00 data plan.

Please be aware, if the feature falls off, (if you activate the device on your own), you have 14 days to call in and have the plan changed back to the $15.00 data package.  If you do not have this changed within 14 days, you will not be able change it and you will have to stay on current pricing.

I trust this information is helpful.  Have a wonderful day!

• 4. Re: Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)
                dreed75

mdram4x4 wrote:

dreed75 wrote:

This is from VanessaC_VZW...

This is a really good question!  I even had a little trouble confirming the answer.  However, I found it! You can keep the $15/ 150MB data plan if you are activating another Smartphone on your line(s).  If you switch the phones via My Verizon, the feature, ($15/150MB data plan) may automatically fall off and you will be switched to current pricing.  Therefore, I encourage you to call into Customer Service at 800-922-0204 and speak with a representative to make this change.  This way we can make sure all the correct codes/ features stay as they are, and you keep the $15.00 data plan.

Please be aware, if the feature falls off, (if you activate the device on your own), you have 14 days to call in and have the plan changed back to the $15.00 data package.  If you do not have this changed within 14 days, you will not be able change it and you will have to stay on current pricing.

I trust this information is helpful.  Have a wonderful day!

• 5. Re: Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)
                  findwaldo

Is this information from "VanessaC_VZW" still accurate?  My wife just upgrade to an iPhone from a Droid Smartphone and asked to keep the same plan.  They change the data package from 150MB to 2GB.  When I called verizon about this they said an upgrade 2 year contract required a current data plan and the 150MB was no longer current.  They then told me I had 14 days to return the phone.

Thoughts anyone?  I wish Vanessa could chime in.

• 6. Re: Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)
                    SuzyQ

Vanessa replied over a year ago and plans have changed a lot over the last year.  What customer service told you is accurate as of NOW - if you upgrade a phone you need to choose a data plan from among those currently offered - either a 2GB $30 or a Share Everything family plan.

• 7. Re: Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)

I had the $15 150 MB plan and when I upgraded in July I had to get the 2 GB plan. I was expecting that to be the case though so it wasn't a surprise.

• 8. Re: Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)
                        ladypreshs1

Unfortunately if you decide to upgrade, you will lose your grandfathered plan.  You can have any of the Verizon reps show you the comparison if you switch to the shared data how much of a savings it would be to you.  Other than that you can always buy a Verizon phone from a third party and making sure it has a clean ESN before making the purchase.  This will keep you on the same existing plan that you are in now.

• 9. Re: Upgrading phone and keeping $15/month data (smartphone)
                          Gadgetman198

I have a grandfathered data plan, and I've asked about this. There is an option called an Alternate Upgrade, where you can use the upgrade ability of another line to upgrade your device and keep your current plan. Essentially what it does, is you upgrade the device on another line, and then transfer that device to the line you want. You can very easily buy a Verizon-certified phone from a third party (and calling Verizon to make sure that the ESN is available), and then have customer service add the device to your line, but that is if you buy only the device itself and not some sort of incentive plan with it. If you want to buy a device with a plan, add it to your account, and then transfer the device to the line of your choice, I don't see why they wouldn't let you do that because you're adding a probable additional two years of more money to them.