TOTAL 5.69 MB, APP. 0.00B, DATA 5.69MB, CACHE 0.00B That is a good size and eating up valuable space.
TOTAL 27.52MB, APP 0.00B, DATA 27.11MB, CACHE 420KB Looks like you might have tons of emails in your trash folder of your email account on the phone.
Okay both of those apps are large. Your phone will run much better if you can keep your internal storage at 30 MB or higher. If you are getting message about low memory, you are likely running at 15MB or lower. Phones like the LG Ally need a regular maintenance of clearing the cache for your applications. Depending on your usage, your should schedule this about every week or two.
Check you internal storage:
To check total internal storage, go to Settings > SD card & storage > internal phone memory.
Clear cache for all applications:
- Go to settings >Applications > Manage Applications > all Tab > menu button > sort by size
- Go through each application one at a time, pressing the clear cache wherever you find it.
- After a while you will start to learn the usual suspects, (internet, market, facebook, you tube, games, etc)
To deal the Email application:
- The quickest way is to delete your email account from the phone and then re-add it back to the phone.
- Open the email application and press the menu button.
- There should be an option to delete account. It might also be available from the Settings > Accounts & sync.
- Now add you email account back to the phone using your account server settings. Set the sync frequency to the lowest number of emails you want synced to the phone you can stand.
The Dialer storage:
- This app stores all your call logs and text messages on the phone. If the you cleared the data for this application you will lose both the call logs and your text (SMS & MMS messages.
- You can backup both if you don't want to lose the information. Download the following applications from the market. SMS Backup & Restore https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore and Call Logs Backup & Restore https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.CallLogBackupRestore for the call logs. If you need to backup your MMS messages, you will have to invest into a paid application. If you just want any of the attachments, make sure you have saved the attachments to the phone's SD card.
- Open the applications and run the backup function. Your information will be saved to the SD card. You can adjust your settings for the application by pressing the menu button.
- Once you have successfully backed up the SMS messages and call logs, go to Settings > applications > manage applications > all tab > scroll down to dialer storage > select it > press the clear data button.
- Optional reboot the phone to clear out any additional data.
- Now you can open the Backup application and use the restore function to get back your text messages and call logs. When you restore the information, it will actually take up less space then it did before.
Hope this all helps.
The main problem I have will all of these memory management 'solutions' is that they ARE NOT solutions.
They are workarounds to poor design by LG and bad memory management by the app developers.
I got this phone when it first came out and none of these memory problems had been seen before. I would not recommend this phone to anyone now, nor would I have chosen it had I know of these issues before. I will trade in this phone on my account the very second I can do so without an outrageous penalty being charged by Verizon.
Most general users of these devices are not technically skilled in gizmo problem solving and should not be expected to have to follow these rediculous steps just to have a usable smartphone.
Verizon should really implement a satisfaction guarantee program for phones that turn out to be LEMONS. Especially if they want to keep customers from YELLING at them on the customer support phonelines, forums, and stores. And more importantly keeping customers from leaving.
Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth. I'll step off my soapbox now.
And I'd be completely amazed if someone at Verizon actually reads this and takes positive, constructive action.
I'm so glad I read this, this has been happening to me for a while now but more so in the last few weeks.
I have deleted pictures, texts, you name it, one time I accidentally wiped everything off my phone trying to clear it to get enough space just to send a text and then had to send me a new phone.
I have very few pictures, very few texts, only 2 or 3 apps, like Shazam. I don't even have games on there anymore b/c I'm worried about it getting too full.
This is completely rediculous. I went to the store and they took battery out and then everything was fine for one day and it started up again.
Sometimes I'll get a call and it will be a random ring tone and I'll realize it cleared all the factory ringtones and I can't even select anything.
I don't want to pay for a different phone right now but this is just rediculous.
I did notice that I've gotten rid of "visual voice mail" and then a day or 2 later my phone will automatically update "visual voicemail" and throw the phone into that mode of not enough storage.
I'm so frustrated, I don't even want that much from my phone, send some texts, use e-mail, FB and save a few pics....why is this so difficult on this phone....gggrrrrrr....................