Unable to send accented characters (with diacritics) via SMS
Beairtle

I frequently send text (SMS) messages in different languanges (including French, Irish). I have an HTC Trophy.

The problem I have is that the characters with accents (diacritic marks, including, e.g., áéíóú &c.) don't show up on the recipient's phone. I have tried sending messages containing accented characters to feature phones, Android phones, and Windows phones: on all of these, the accented characters have shown up as either question marks (?) or underscores (_), not as they ought to have.

On the other hand, accented characters sent to me via SMS from other phones, including feature phones and Android phones (but not Windows phones), do show up as they should. Even other scripts, such as Cyrillic, are displayed properly.

I have tried changing the keyboard to Spanish, but that didn't fix anything.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to send accented characters (with diacritics) via SMS
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hey Beairtle! I'm here to help with the messaging issue you've described. Based on what your experience has been, I would say that the problem isn't with your handset. You've stated that you're able to see accented characters when you create your messages and when messages arrive appear as they should. If they don't appear as they should upon arrival, then it's possible that the party your sending them to can't support accented characters (hence the question marks). I don't have a fix for your phone because I don't believe the problem is on your end! I would recommend that the recipients have a look at their phones.

0 Likes
Nalus
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem and need help. I have a Google Pixel XL. I installed the Spanish keyboard. I type my messages but when I send the messages the receiver does not see accents I have typed. I have tested by sending messages to my phone and accents do not show up. I have done updates and restarted phone and same problem persists. Example: I type "mañana" and the person received "maoana" (ñ becomes o). I place accents on á, é, í, ó, and ú and the person received a, e, i, o AND u without the accents. Please help as it is most frustrating!

0 Likes
Piperoldan

If you are using Google messages, in the app open the menu in the top right corner, go to settings, advanced, and turn off "use special characters".

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes