3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2011 7:15 PM by nwwoman RSS

Changing from contract phone to prepaid

Troy1998

Hello,  i am recently wanting to ask, i am going to buy a regular contract Motorola Droid Devour, since it is a smartphone, how much will it cost me to make it prepaid? I don't want the internet unless it will come free for my soon-to-be prepaid phone. if it is going to cost me i am going to save my money for a Carrier that won't have a cost to switch.

• 1. Re: Changing from contract phone to prepaid
          SuzyQ

Troy1998 wrote:

Hello,  i am recently wanting to ask, i am going to buy a regular contract Motorola Droid Devour, since it is a smartphone, how much will it cost me to make it prepaid? The cost for pre-paid smartphone plans is just slightly more than contract prices for smartphones....  I don't want the internet unless it will come free for my soon-to-be prepaid phone. Internet on a phone is NOT free, either pre-paid or contact.  if it is going to cost me i am going to save my money for a Carrier that won't have a cost to switch.  Cost to switch?  From what to what?  You want to buy the Devour on a contract, THEN switch to pre-paid?  I don't think you can do that before fulfilling the contract....

Pre-paid plans for smartphones can be found here:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plans/?page=prepaid and you may be able to buy the Devour AS a pre-paid device, and you may not....

• 2. Re: Changing from contract phone to prepaid
            rignu217

Prepaid sounds cheaper but it's really not. My uncle got a prepaid phone from Samsung and he ended up paying 3X what he would have if he had just stayed with Verizon. They charged him per text message and he ended up with a $500 bill at the end of the month...yikes. I believe it's a rip-off but if you really believe it's a good deal go for it. =)

• 3. Re: Changing from contract phone to prepaid
              nwwoman

The cost of prepaid to the buyer is based on their calling situation.  For some, prepaid will be more expensive.  For me, it's saved a considerable amount of money because I now pay an amount that is more aligned with my usage.  If you are going to text everyday on the prepaid daily plan, then 10 cent per minute can really add up.