1 2 3 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2013 12:36 PM by dandturtle RSS

Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?

fredj4

Does anyone know how long one is grandfathered for if they had the Unlimited Data Plan prior to July 7th?

I heard that it was only until your contract was up for renewal and then you would have to select one of the tiered options.

Is that true?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?
          budone

If you had a smartphone unlimited plan prior to 7.7 you will be good for a while. VZW has not stated anything about limiting it to one contract renewal.

VZW is pretty good about those who are grandfathered.

• 2. Re: Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?
            silver6055

budone wrote:

If you had a smartphone unlimited plan prior to 7.7 you will be good for a while. VZW has not stated anything about limiting it to one contract renewal.

VZW is pretty good about those who are grandfathered.

Yes, it's been pretty good, lots of people still on old plans like  ACII (and maybe AC1) for years, only having to change when they upgrade to a smartphone or similar.

However, recently there was one bad example, the unlimited international data plan.   They are removing this "feature" from people's plans, even those still on contract since this is a feature rather than part of the plan.  It was incredibly good value, not matched by other carriers, and is now gone.   I suspect that sometime in the future (probably more than one contract renewal away though) this might happen to those still on the (domestic) unlimited plan.  But as budone says, there is no such statement from VZW.

• 3. Re: Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?
              Grothka
              At this point they have pretty much promised at least 1 contract renewal, if your are going from 1 smartphone to another. As the others have said, beyond that we don't know.
              • 4. Re: Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?

Hi, fredj4!

Thanks for the great question! 

At this time, there are no plans to have change data packages once a customer agreement expires. I do not see this going the way of our international data plans because the Email and Web data package is not optional or can be removed. Now, if a customer chooses to move to a tier data package or cancel their services then the grandfathered plan no longer applies of course. But grandfathered you are, grandfathered you stay; as long as your line remains active within the same device type.

I hope this answers your question!  Have a great weekend!

• 5. Re: Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?
                  JustSharlie
                  Well I wish I had known about this grandfather clause, we've been vzw customers 10 + yrs and was told @ car toys when we upgraded that we had to change our plan so bye bye went our unlimited plan we had forever grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
                  • 6. Re: Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?
                    mdram4x4

JustSharlie wrote:
                    Well I wish I had known about this grandfather clause, we've been vzw customers 10 + yrs and was told @ car toys when we upgraded that we had to change our plan so bye bye went our unlimited plan we had forever grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

you may have had to there

third party retailers cannot access many grandfathered plans, or promo plans

always go through verizon

• 7. Re: Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?
                      sonksonk

So if i want to get the iphone global, have the droid 2 global now, i can keep my current plan?

• 8. Re: Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?
                        pinkinlove87

I just got the droid 2 global a week ago and just moved over from Sprint to Verizon, and when I called to talk to a representative about my data package, she said that I was able to be grandfathered in at the unlimited data package, so I told her to go ahead and make the change. I was curious because I thought that Verizon didn't have a unlimited plan, so I asked how I was grandfathered in, and she told me because I ported 2 lines over from a unlimited plan with sprint, it made me eligible.

I am not complaining at all, but I think that it is great that I get unlimited data for the same price as the 2gb data package. :smileyhappy:

• 9. Re: Unlimited Data Plan - If Grandfathered, For how Long?
                          jpblev

Longtime Verizon customer with unlimited data plan.  Just added 4G Mobile Hot Spot for internet access because I'm getting rid of cable.  I look at my account usage and the hot spot activity is listed under my unlimited data usage.  Not under Connect/Hot Spot.  Is using the hot spot truly goinf to be unlimited for me.

1 2 3 Previous Next