Problem with Mobile Hotspot
tomzee93

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but one of the reasons I purchased the charge was to have the unlimited mobile hotspot.  When I press the mobile hotspot widget, it takes me to where I need to go.  I check the Mobile Hotspot and I am connected to the internet through the charge.  I have the icons on the top of the phone showing that I am connected.  I go through some internet pages and then it won't go to the next page.  I look at the phone, it still shows the connection but the 3g has white bars instead of the red and the green.  Sometimes when the 3 g shows up again with the red and green I get access to browse the internet again.  When it doesn't work, I unchecked the mobile hotspot and then recheck it again.  Several times it will tell me it can't connect.  I have also restarted my phone, plus turned it all the way off and then on.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I wanted this unlimited so that I could get off of Hughesnet.  I don't have problems with my galaxy 7 tab or my 5 spot, so why do I have problems with this phone?  Is there any app I could use to hold onto the wifi connection?  I am not in an area where there is 4g yet.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Problem with Mobile Hotspot
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

tomzee93 wrote:

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but one of the reasons I purchased the charge was to have the unlimited mobile hotspot.  When I press the mobile hotspot widget, it takes me to where I need to go.  I check the Mobile Hotspot and I am connected to the internet through the charge.  I have the icons on the top of the phone showing that I am connected.  I go through some internet pages and then it won't go to the next page.  I look at the phone, it still shows the connection but the 3g has white bars instead of the red and the green.  Sometimes when the 3 g shows up again with the red and green I get access to browse the internet again.  When it doesn't work, I unchecked the mobile hotspot and then recheck it again.  Several times it will tell me it can't connect.  I have also restarted my phone, plus turned it all the way off and then on.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I wanted this unlimited so that I could get off of Hughesnet.  I don't have problems with my galaxy 7 tab or my 5 spot, so why do I have problems with this phone?  Is there any app I could use to hold onto the wifi connection?  I am not in an area where there is 4g yet.

Thanks

Hi tomzee93,

I understand your discontent; I would be too if I was not able to keep my internet connection with my Mobile Hotspot feature. When you use the Mobile Hotspot feature make sure you do not have the WiFi enabled as it may interfere with the connection. Also disable any Bluetooth devices as they may also affect the Mobile Hotspot connection. While your phone should alert you of any connection that may interfere with Mobile Hotspot when you activate it, the fact that electronic devices don't always behave as expected remains and is better to check for these potential issues.

Are you experiencing this connection fluctuation indoors? If so, please keep in mind that wireless service may fluctuate while indoors and structural properties of the building may also interfere with a constant wireless signal. Indoor signal issues can be greatly improved with a Network Extender. For details and additional information please visit the link below:

Network Extender

JimBBerkeley

Just wondering, why would I have 4 to 5 bars of phone signal but have the hotspot continually dropping the connection? Not using wireless at the same time. only mobile data. Any other suggestions other than buying a 300 dollar device? 

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Likes
LenaA_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello JimBBerkley,

We need additional information regarding the device and your area to determine the issue. What is your zip code? How often is this issue occurring? Does this occur only in your home area? Please advise what is the software version on the device by going to Applications > Settings > About phone > Build number. Once you reply, we will look further into this for you. 

Thank you, 

0 Likes
tomzee93
Hello AntonioC

I don't believe a network extender will help me since I would be using it with my charge. It says you have to attach it to a high speed internet which this phone isn't currently. What I can't understand is why my five spot and my galaxy 7 stays connected and I don't have problems connecting to the internet with them.
0 Likes
MS99

I have had nothing but trouble with the Mobile Hotspot feature as well. Web pages freeze up after 5-10 minutes, then I need to disconnect and reconnect to start again. VERY frustrating and annoying for a "service" that I am being charged a lot extra for each month.

0 Likes
kalel51

I have documented my problems to Verizon since I got my Thunderbolt, here is a synopsis:

First month, disconnecting for no reason, 4G icon on phones goes out, but I have full bars.  Then it mysteriously comes back on, works for a few minutes, then is out again.  I go to Verizon store, Hard reset of phone.  Issues stop for about a month.

Third month, problems again.  I call in, go to store, their advice, replace the handset.  THEY ARE STILL NOT ADMITTING TO A PROBLEM, but they replace my SIM card. They say that is has not been an issue.  My favorite line from the phone techs is; "I have a T-bolt, and that doesn't happen to me." So I guess because it is not their problem, they do not care. After more problems, I finally, I get sent a New TBOLT.  Works fine for two months.  

Month 6: Problems connecting again.  THis time I also have a MiFi, and that is not disconnecting at all.  I get lied to by two representatives, saying they will put a line trace on my phone.  After all of this and arguing for three hours on the phone (on two different occasions) they want to send me ANOTHER TBOLT! I explain "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results!" I refuse the third.  I make such a fuss that I am refunded ALL of my data fees since I started with the TBOLT (about $180).  I get the new Rezound, guess what- STILL HAVING PROBLEMS.  I have (sadly) learned to live with it, but every time it happens, I call them and get my data refunded for the day.  Maybe when they start realizing it is costing them money, they ill fix it.  

0 Likes
Bachampion

Yes i am having the same issue on my HTC Rezound.  I have only had the service for about 2 weeks now and normally when i have just my mobile network on the 4G will stay alive all day but since i have enabled Mobile Hotspot, the 4G Data service has been intermittent.  I am glad to know that I am not the only person having this issue.  If this post would help make the service better i will glad post everyday especially since it is costing me a nice lump sum a month.  If a verizon representative is reading this post, then please understand that there is an issue with this service and it needs some kind of resolution.  I will provide whatever information is needed to get this done.

0 Likes
jaybob44

I have a Droid Bionic. We got the unlimited mobile hotspot in order to get rid of our Hughesnet Satellite. The hotspot was working fine until the phone's most recent update on Thursday, October 25th, 2012. Here's what now happens:

3G is indicated along with full bars in the upper menu bar, but the hotspot won't work. If I deactivate the mobile hotspot, something happens that never used to happen -- the 3G disappears and "resets" itself. Once the little arrows are showing up/down activity, I can then reactivate the mobile hotspot. The laptop loads pages for about 4 minutes and then I lose the ability to load pages. The WiFi bars are full. The 3G is still there. The phone's reception bars are full. But no internet.

I have noticed that when I am on Facebook, I can still "like" a comment or post, but cannot leave a comment.

I phoned Verizon tech support to report a problem with my phone "since the latest update" and without having to go further, the service rep asked, "is the problem with your Mobile Hotspot?" She said they are "working on it." I am very frustrated, since this is our home internet and we cannot use it.

0 Likes
ceyoung

I am have been having this same problem for almost 2 years and it is seriously very frustrating. I spoke with Verizon reps at least three times about it and they could not resolve the problem. I think Verizon needs to give us a discount on this crappy service. I won't be staying with Verizon anymore after my contract is up. I have been a customer for over 10 years and I really don't know why I stayed. A few years ago I tried their FIOS and that was a total nightmare. I have a three year old and this constant disconnecting of the Mobile Hotspot frustrates him madly when he is trying to enjoy his shows or games. I do not want to hear anything from these people about troubleshooting...I want to hear partial money back for a less than partial service.

0 Likes