7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2011 3:58 PM by Ann154 RSS

Changing 4G phones? Deactivating/activating new device?

Calvin411

I want to get rid of my LG Revolution and switch to a Droid Charge, but my upgrade is not until a while. I have unlimited data, so I won't be changing anything with my plans, just the phones. How do I deactivate my Revolution, so I can purchase a Charge (probably of off eBay). What steps do I need to take?

• 1. Re: Changing 4G phones? Deactivating/activating new device?
          SuzyQ
          If you purchase from a third party, like eBay, then you simply activate the new phone when you get it. Activating the new phone will automatically deactivate the old one. There are a few ways to do this:

1-Call customer service from a different line than the one you want to switch the phones on; they will ask you for your account information and new phone information.

2-Go online, log in to your MyVerizon account, and find the box ont he main page that says "Activate a phone". Follow the directions there.

3-Turn off (power off) the old phone, dial *228 on the new phone and choose option 1. Follow the prompts to activate the new phone.

HTH,
          • 2. Re: Changing 4G phones? Deactivating/activating new device?
            Ann154

To switch between two different 4G LTE phones, you should just need to take the SIM card out of the LG Revolution and put it into the Samsung Droid Charge.

You might need to do either SuzyQ's suggestions #1 or #2 before you swap the SIM.

However never ever dial *228 on a 4G LTE device. That is unless you really want to corrupt the SIM card.

• 3. Re: Changing 4G phones? Deactivating/activating new device?
              SuzyQ

Ann154 wrote:

However never ever dial *228 on a 4G LTE device. That is unless you really want to corrupt the SIM card.

OOOOhhhh, I'll need to note this - activation of a 4G LTE is NOT done via *228?  A whole new ball game with 4G that I need to learn if I am going to be trying to answer questions.....  thanks for the info, Ann.

• 4. Re: Changing 4G phones? Deactivating/activating new device?
                Ann154
                Yep that's right. When I got the Tbolt the first time, all the salesguy did was turn on the phone after he activated the phone through the computer.

Three weeks later, I was so paranoid about the rep at the Verizon store possibly corrupting my SIM card when I ported my phone number back from AT & T that I refuse to let him touch the phone. He kept telling me to dial the *228 number and I kept refusing because I knew it was wrong from the stories on here and other Android sites. Add to that my brief experience with a GSM phone, I was aware that wasn't how the SIM cards worked.
                • 5. Re: Changing 4G phones? Deactivating/activating new device?
                  AyaniB_VZW

Hi Calvin411.

The steps provided by Ann154 & SuzyQ are correct. Thanks for your assistance with the community.  Calvin411, if you require additional assistance to get you device activated, Please PM me your wireless number.

Thank you, 

• 6. Re: Changing 4G phones? Deactivating/activating new device?
                    wheelergary2

So lets say I have 2 lines on my VZ Account. I recently upgraded my secondary line so I could get a better phone. SO the phone that I have on my main line is My Droid Eris and that has been acting up lately and so I decided to upgrade my secondary line (which I did use for business) anyways. I got excited when I got the phone but didnt really understand how 4G worked and so I put in the sim card and got it all activated and stuff but for some reason I can put the phone on the main line and when I go through switch device it tells me that the phone on account isnt activated and I would have to call customer service. So what do I do?

Gary

• 7. Re: Changing 4G phones? Deactivating/activating new device?
                      Ann154
                      You need a different SIM card for the main line. And Droid Eris needs to be turned off. You might also need a third device to activate on the second line so that the 4G phone is deactivated from the second line.