5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2011 9:47 AM by MojaveMoon_ RSS

RINGTONE VOLUME ON THE LG OCTANE IS TOO LOW

Theresa_R

I recently upgraded to the LG Octane and did not notice how low the ring tone volume was until I missed several calls because I did not hear my phone ring. If I have the phone sitting out on a table nearby, I can hear it ... but if it is in my purse, next room, or desk drawer the ringtone is so low I can barely hear it. It doesnt help at all that the speakers are on the inside of the flip phone. When the phone is opened the volume is slightly higher. I already have the master volume set to high. I had a much older LG flip phone before I "upgraded" and the volume on that one was outstanding.

Its  really frustrating, not to mention annoying to miss important calls because of low ring tone volume. Any suggestions?

ps.... I set the phone to vibrate as well as ring, but this phone hardly vibrates at all! Im beginning to think the Octane was a bad choice. :smileysad:

Please Help

• 1. Re: RINGTONE VOLUME ON THE LG OCTANE IS TOO LOW
          MikeS_VZW

Sorry to hear the phone doesn't ring to your needs.  The old flip phones rang loud. Very loud.  However, there may be something you can do.  Change the ringtone itself.  If you have custom ringtones or ones you've downloaded that have bass in the tone, it doesn't carry well.  Try changing the ringtone to Loud Beeps (that's a really loud one). That would provide the best chance of hearing the phone.  

Different phones have different hardware. They will ring louder or softer based on the hardware.  If you think your phone is ringing abnormally low, you can take it into a Verizon Wireless store and compare it to another Octane. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

• 2. Re: RINGTONE VOLUME ON THE LG OCTANE IS TOO LOW
            steved10r

one thing on the ringtones - some people hear hi pitches better, some low. And at home, like mine, sometimes there's one or two fans on between me and where the phone charges. In short - I choose a ringer that has high and low sounds. I will hear one of them better. And one of them will not be drowned out by background noise at home.  Last - do you do ringtones ? If you do, some of the songs or instrumentals will be louder than others.  good luck - those are my tricks so i can hear it better. steve d

• 3. Re: RINGTONE VOLUME ON THE LG OCTANE IS TOO LOW
              MojaveMoon_

Perhaps as a last resort, you could use a program to raise the volume of the ringtone so that it'll be louder when you play it on the Octane.

Warning -- Maybe raising the volume too high of the ringtone could harm the speaker of your phone when you play it on the Octane. Also, raising the volume too high with the program might result in a distorted ringtone.

- Audacity (either adjust the "Gain" over on the left side of the screen or select "Effect > Amplify" and adjust the Amplify setting; there are a lot of tutorials on the internet on using Audacity)

- Pazera Free Audio Extractor
                http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Pazera_Free_Audio_Extractor

change the "Output format" to match the format of your ringtone; change the "Bitrate", "Sampling freq.", and "Channels" settings to "Auto" to make sure the converted file retains those original settings; adjust the volume up or down; and then click convert to create an audio file with a higher volume

• 4. Re: RINGTONE VOLUME ON THE LG OCTANE IS TOO LOW
                MojaveMoon_

Here's another suggestion -- MP3Gain

My comments on how to use it and where to find it are here: (link)

The instructions for using it to raise the volume are the same as the instructions posted there for using it to lower the volume.

One more thing.

At the top of screen, click on "Options" and you'll see this option:
                "Don't clip when doing track gain"

When this is checked, MP3Gain will try to raise the volume as close as possible to the value you specified; but it will stop short of that value if that value will cause the ringtone to be distorted.

Omitting the checkmark will remove this restriction

Here is some advice on setting the clipping option I found:

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/18810-mp3-gain/

"As [far as] setting the target, look at the clipping indicator (red "Y"). you want to target the highest number where the clipping is gone. I find the default 89 put the volume too low for my taste, but pretty much guarantee zero clipping. I find 90 or 91 is good enough in eliminating clipping most of the time."

If you want to apply MP3Gain to audio that you're going to use as music that you're going to listen to on your phone, here's advice on that matter:

http://forums.ilounge.com/digital-audio-formats/76598-mp3gain-usage-guide.html

• 5. Re: RINGTONE VOLUME ON THE LG OCTANE IS TOO LOW
                  MojaveMoon_

I ran out of time to edit my previous comment.

In that quote, I think that person is referring to a clipping indicator in the column "clip(Track)".

If you see a "Y" in another column "clipping", I *believe* that means something different -- I believe that means that clipping was built in to the track if, say, the audio came from a CD. I read some comments that said that some CDs are mastered so that the volume is preset real high.