5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2011 3:54 PM by acraftylady RSS

Bill not paid; what happens to texts?

StewieJr

So, I've been searching around the interwebs for an answer to this question, but get two answers everytime.

I have a late bill ongoing, so Verizon temporarily disconnected it until I pay it in a week. 

I don't know if this is considered the same as "Suspended" - like when you manual suspend you service or what, but -

I wanted to know if the calls and texts sent to me by other people are going to come in all at once when I pay my bill, or if they're all lost. 

At first,I could receive texts and phone calls, but then eventually I couldn't - and after a few days, people started hearing the whol "This number has been changed or disconnected"

I've read (generally speaking, not just Verizon) that because the line is disconnected, nothing will come through when I reactivate.  I've also read that if it's suspended manually by the owner of the contract, nothing will come through, but if it's "temporarily disconnected" due to a late payment, all the missed texts and voicemails will come in when I reactivate.

So I came to Verizon's own forum to check.

If possible, I'd like an answer from someone actually working at Verizon - just because different people probably get different results (someone disconnected for 1 day vs someone disconnected for 1 week etc could possibly have two outcomes - I wouldn't know)

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Bill not paid; what happens to texts?
          SuzyQ
          OK-I don't work for Verizon, though I have spent a lot of time on these boards, read a lot, and have experience with my own account and several Verizon phones over a period of over 10 years; I am answering based on those "qualifications" and expect an employee or representative to follow up my post with confirmation or correction if I am wrong....

If your service is disconnected and the person texting you gets a message to that effect, then nothing is saved because the message is never actually delivered to your account, and the sender is told that.

If someone is able to leave you a voicemail, those are saved until you retrieve them; people can leave them until the mailbox becomes full, and then they will no longer be able to leave more messages.

Attempts to deliver text messages to an account are made for 5 days, then the message is "lost" if it is not delivered to the device. When you turn the device back on, any messages sent within the past 5 days will be delivered, any prior to that will be gone.

HTH, and an employee or service rep can clarify or correct anything I got wrong!
          • 2. Re: Bill not paid; what happens to texts?
            AntonioC_VZW

StewieJr wrote:

So, I've been searching around the interwebs for an answer to this question, but get two answers everytime.

I have a late bill ongoing, so Verizon temporarily disconnected it until I pay it in a week. 

I don't know if this is considered the same as "Suspended" - like when you manual suspend you service or what, but -

I wanted to know if the calls and texts sent to me by other people are going to come in all at once when I pay my bill, or if they're all lost. 

At first,I could receive texts and phone calls, but then eventually I couldn't - and after a few days, people started hearing the whol "This number has been changed or disconnected"

I've read (generally speaking, not just Verizon) that because the line is disconnected, nothing will come through when I reactivate.  I've also read that if it's suspended manually by the owner of the contract, nothing will come through, but if it's "temporarily disconnected" due to a late payment, all the missed texts and voicemails will come in when I reactivate.

So I came to Verizon's own forum to check.

If possible, I'd like an answer from someone actually working at Verizon - just because different people probably get different results (someone disconnected for 1 day vs someone disconnected for 1 week etc could possibly have two outcomes - I wouldn't know)

Thanks in advance!

Hi StewieJr,

I just want to confirm that SuzyQ has answered your question correctly and all information included in her response is accurate (Thank you very much!).

Please keep in mind that answers to many questions can be found online at vzw.com/support by entering your question at search support field. Entering If I have my device turned off, will I still receive text messages? returned the answer below:

Verizon Wireless will attempt to deliver the message when your device is powered on and you are in the Verizon Wireless digital service area. If the device is powered off or you have traveled outside of the Verizon Wireless digital service area, the network will store the message for later delivery. The network will attempt to deliver the message for 5 days (120 hours) from the date of Verizon Wireless' receipt of the message. Messages not delivered within 5 days will be automatically deleted.

The above information applies to messages sent to temporarily suspended phones as well. I trust you find this information helpful.

• 3. Re: Bill not paid; what happens to texts?
              rebpal55

If your phone was disconnected by Verizon because you didn't pay your bill but plan on paying it within 7 days of it being disconnected is there a way to receive text that were sent to your phone during the time it was disconnected? 

• 4. Re: Bill not paid; what happens to texts?
                lewisr13

rebpal55 wrote:

If your phone was disconnected by Verizon because you didn't pay your bill but plan on paying it within 7 days of it being disconnected is there a way to receive text that were sent to your phone during the time it was disconnected? 

Try reading the prior replies, your answer is "hidden" in there.

• 5. Re: Bill not paid; what happens to texts?
                  acraftylady

rebpal55 wrote:

You could just tell people to send the text to your email instead until you are back up and running.  Mary