1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2012 4:17 PM by Ann154 RSS

Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers

ggannon

I am beginning to receive spam text messages, always with a fake originating phone numbers.  There has got to be a way for Verizon to block these or in failing to do so, allow us to report the time and phony caller ID for them to track down and eliminate the source.  Given the architecture of SMS it seems impossible these guys could be truly anonymous.  Why can't Verizon provide a reporting mechanism so we can identify the spam (other than Verizon does make money off these guys in many cases). 

Similarly, I have been receiving unsolicited retail calls from companies that mask their caller ID.  Although I can not determine the source of the call, if Verizon provided a reporting mechanism that allowed their customers to identify the time and duration of the call Verizon could track down the source and take action to turn off their service. 

• 1. Re: Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers
          spottedcatfish

Have you placed your cell number on the Federal Do Not Call registry?  If so, are you reporting these calls to them?

• 2. Re: Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers
            qtpietruitt1

spottedcatfish,

i felt the need to answer this question

spottedcatfish wrote:

Have you placed your cell number on the Federal Do Not Call registry?  If so, are you reporting these calls to them?

yes, i have placed my number on the FDNCR and reported the calls to them with absolutely no luck... the do not call registry has never worked for me.... there are applications for smart phones to help you block these but they work only about half the time as well... I too would like to suggest that vzw offer some assistance in blocking fraudulent/spam type calls and texts...

qtpietruitt

• 3. Re: Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers
              SuzyQ
              Some phones have the option to limit incoming calls and texts to only those on your contact list.

Verizon, or any phone carrier, has no way of determining which numbers are legitimate and which are spammers, especially with spammers being able to change numbers frequently and disguise or spoof their numbers.

If you don't recognize a number, don't answer it - hit END to hang up and ignore the call. Or, if your phone has the option, set it to "Contacts Only".
              • 4. Re: Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers
                Neander

SuzyQ; I have to disagree with you a little bit.   I am sure Verizon is capable of observing the shear volume coming from a single source,  piling into their system.   If my other "junk mail" internet providers can detect & re-direct hundreds of spams daily,  Verizon must be capable of the same.

When I began getting text-spams to my modem ! (Access Manager) at a 20 cents charge each, I had to cut off the text messaging feature altogether.    (-who needs text messages over their modem anyway? ).  I had to go through Customer Service to do it. 

I have to come to the conclusion that unwanted text messaging is an income generator for Verizon and they have no intention of stopping it,

So long as the customers will take it.  Marketers spend millions$ to research that breaking point

Which isn't a whole lot of help for GGannon who obviously would like to receive legitimate texts from  full-sized, 10 digit phone numbers, that are relatively too expensive for spammers.   The only solution is for enough GGannons to raise enough hell to bring Verizon around to implementing easily customizable filters.

While I on the other hand, as a filthy corporate-greedy capitalist, a  recent investor in Verizon stock thanks to Thombrawley , would like Verizon to make as much money for me as possible.

• 5. Re: Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers
                  spottedcatfish

Neander wrote:

If my other "junk mail" internet providers can detect & re-direct hundreds of spams daily,  Verizon must be capable of the same.

Filtering e-mails is substantially different from filtering calls for a number of reasons:

1 - You can't filter calls based on content.

2 - Texts and calls don't have the same type of information rich headers that e-mails do.  They are much more difficult to trace, and depending on the exchanges that they are passing through, Verizon may not get full information on the calls/texts for 24-48 hours after they are sent (this is why your call/text data sometimes has update lag on MyVerizon).

3 - Call and text filtering is substantially more high-stakes than e-mail.  While some folks have made e-mail and "always on" option for contacting them, that expectation is not universal, and for most folks, an important message lost in the spam folder for a few days is no big deal.  A call that gets stuck in the "spam folder"?  It's gone forever, and how is that accidentally trapped legitimate caller supposed to get through to you to ask you to unblock them?

4 - There are huge costs involved in developing the infrastructure to set up every Verizon subscriber with some type of "spam" folder for their calls and texts that are filtered, especially when privacy considerations are included (cf why Verizon does NOT allow access to text message content online).

Could Verizon solve these issues?  Maybe.  They clearly don't find it to be a worthwhile investment of their time.  Personally, I'd suggest following SuzyQ's advice, and making use of the Parental Controls or the fact that Verizon gives you the ability to change your number if the problems persist.

• 6. Re: Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers
                    Neander

Thanks SpottedCatfish;    You've made me a little smarter.

• 7. Re: Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers

Hi GGannon, thanks your inquiry! I understand your frustration over receiving spam text and calls from unwanted sources. I have had this happen to me as well. We have several options for blocking numbers, but it can be difficult to block numbers if they change all the time. We offer a service called Call & Message Blocking which allows you to block up to 5 numbers for free. You can also block text that come from websites or emails to your phone. 

Telemarketers use tools to block their phone numbers and also using spoofing to make it appear as if their number is coming from another source. Neither of these are illegal, they have a right to do so. While it is annoying, and a huge inconvenience, we don't have a way to stop them from doing so. Again, if they call from the same number each time, we can block those numbers. If the same number or email address is contacting all of our customers we can submit trouble tickets to our network team to attempt to block those. 

• 8. Re: Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers
                        Marze

MarquiaF, thanks for responding. I'm not in the telephone business, but doesn't Verizon (or any phone company, wired or wireless) have a way to determine at the time of the call exactly what company a call came from?  Not the Caller ID, but the other caller's phone company? 

Assuming that is true, then why wouldn't this work: allow a Verizon customer to press a short key sequence on their phone. This would alert Verizon that the customer's last incoming call was spam.  Verizon could monitor and keep track which other phone companies are generating the most complaints from Verizon customers. It could then contact that company and give a warning, you have too many spammers. Also transmit the details of the phone calls that Verizon customers complained about. If the other phone company won't do anything, then Verizon could cut them off or ask the FCC to investigate.

The reason I'm curious is: Over the past two weeks I have received about six scam phone calls. The automated message tells me that my debit card has been compromised, and asks me to enter the 16 digit number.  They're not all the same: some were spoofing Bank of America, another from Wells Fargo. A search online found that this began, apparently in earlyJuly.

Today I got an instance of text spam, offering to help me find a job.  Again, I want a way to complain to Verizon about it right away, without calling 611.  It wouldn't stop all of it, but right now I don't see Verizon doing ANYTHING to stop it.  The advice from the web site is not realistic: limit text to contacts only?

The industry's cellular networks are marvels of technology.  Put some of it to use to prevent voice and text spam.

Steven

• 9. Re: Blocking SPAM and fake caller ID numbers
                          Neander

Marquia wrote:  "... If the same number or email address is contacting all of our customers we can submit trouble tickets to our network team to attempt to block those. "

Submit trouble tickets to someone's INBOX,- to be given attention when they feel like it? After lunch?   Why not automate it?   If 20, 50, or a 100 different customers are receiving messages from ONE source, why aren't you blocking it and then have a manual/human investigation?

Any legitimate customers who have that many friends to broadcast to  (on one service provider?  Give me break!) ,  should  contact Verizon for permission.   It's a small inconvenience for him, compared to the inconvenience of thousands getting the junk.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut, but I still think Verizon likes charging the customers for receiving spam and don't want to fix it,  if they can get away with it.         Marquia;  What is Verizon's policy on refunding Spammed Message charges?

1 2 Previous Next