Serious Droid X2 Issues
Winsor6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do not mean for this to be a rant, but this is a serious issue and I would appreciate any input or guidance that I can get.

I bought a Droid X2 about a month ago, and was initially very happy with it.  However, within the first few days of ownership, I started having various software-related issues.  Random reboots (often a nonstop cycle or rebooting), freezing up when pressing punctuation keys on the stock multitouch keyboard, general choppiness (even when performing simple tasks like switching from one page of the Home screen to the other) and various issues with lagging.  These issues have been documented across the web, and do NOT appear to be hardware issues.  Rather, there seem to be inherent problems with the Droid X2's OS. 

Further, the Droid X2 STILL does not have Gingerbread.  Those of us who bought the X2 expected to have Gingerbread within a few weeks at most, yet we are still waiting.  Having paid for a Dual-Core processor, we would all appreciate having a version of Android that allows us to make the most of that asset.  There has been no official word from Verizon or Motorola about an ETA for a Gingerbread update.

I have a feeling that if I go into my local Verizon store my concerns will not be appropriately addressed.  The sales reps probably have no idea why Gingerbread hasn't rolled out for the X2 yet, and probably will not (or cannot) agree to replace the X2 with a different kind of phone.  Can anyone give any advice?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Serious Droid X2 Issues
bearone21
Legend
yo, the d2 was on the market the day gb came to the dx.

exactly when/where were you lead to believe that gb was forthcoming to the d2 and how that influenced your purchase decision?

nothing really changed with gb that the dual core was going to be so much better at other than reducing battery life.

you're probably right about store personnel being of much help but they have no control of whether an update occurs/doesn't occur.
0 Likes
Winsor6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was led to believe that GB would be coming out for the X2 by the Verizon sales representative at the local Verizon store.  It wasn't unreasonable to belive the X2 would be getting GB when the X had already gotten it.  Yet here we are almost two months later with no GB.  GB matters because the X2 is extremely buggy, and (hopefully) most of those issue would be resolved by GB.

vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Winsor6 wrote:

I do not mean for this to be a rant, but this is a serious issue and I would appreciate any input or guidance that I can get.

I bought a Droid X2 about a month ago, and was initially very happy with it.  However, within the first few days of ownership, I started having various software-related issues.  Random reboots (often a nonstop cycle or rebooting), freezing up when pressing punctuation keys on the stock multitouch keyboard, general choppiness (even when performing simple tasks like switching from one page of the Home screen to the other) and various issues with lagging.  These issues have been documented across the web, and do NOT appear to be hardware issues.  Rather, there seem to be inherent problems with the Droid X2's OS. 

Further, the Droid X2 STILL does not have Gingerbread.  Those of us who bought the X2 expected to have Gingerbread within a few weeks at most, yet we are still waiting.  Having paid for a Dual-Core processor, we would all appreciate having a version of Android that allows us to make the most of that asset.  There has been no official word from Verizon or Motorola about an ETA for a Gingerbread update.

I have a feeling that if I go into my local Verizon store my concerns will not be appropriately addressed.  The sales reps probably have no idea why Gingerbread hasn't rolled out for the X2 yet, and probably will not (or cannot) agree to replace the X2 with a different kind of phone.  Can anyone give any advice?

Thanks!

First off, I just wanted to say that I'm glad to see a complaining post that's NOT yelling and kicking and screaming at Verizon. Makes me take your issues seriously :smileyhappy:

Now, I know of a couple trouble shooting tips that might work for some of your issues.

For the freezing when using the keyboard - do you have vibrate or sound on keypress enabled? That can sometimes cause it to lag. Also, you could try going into Settings -- Applications -- Manage Applications -- Select your keyboard app, and select Clear Cache (also do this for any texting and email apps as well) Another suggestion would be to get a keyboard app from the market. A lot of them are free and work better than the stock app, with fewer problems.

For the lag and choppiness - do you have any widgets currently in use? Those are a huge mess, and do nothing but lag usually. Facebook, Twitter, Weather, anything like that can cause it to lag.

I've heard nothing about GB for the DX2, so I can't really say anything about that issue.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Also, for "choppiness" between screens, try changing :  Settings / Display / Animations / No Animations

See if that helps, in additon to the Widget suggestion

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

"I was led to believe that GB would be coming out for the X2 by the Verizon sales representative at the local Verizon store."

were his lips moving............let's see, he was making or had made a sale.

0 Likes
kerri2713

I'm new to my phone and this forum so bear with me....I had the same issue this morning, my phone started to reboot on it's own and then repeat, repeat, repeat...I was assuming it was a spirit contacting me in regards to my sixth cup of coffee...any updates or advice for a newbie?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Welcome kerri to buckets of fun an to answer your question have another cup of coffeee no really wellcome to post an

to answer your post there working on gingerbread but i have heared there is a hold on it because of issues an it was suppossed to be releaesed also to the Droid Pro an Droid 2 Global so i say the best thing to is check back here or verizons web site an or android-cetral. com.  I 'll pute this on here its from another post but its affecting all the phones Listed.

It looks like there is trouble in Motorola Gingerbreadville as a report from Droid-Life indicates that Verizon may have rejected the Android 2.3 builds for the Motorola Droid 2, Motorola Droid 2 Global and the Motorola Droid Pro, and the Motorola Droid X2.

Droid 2 Global

We’ve been hearing from a lot of Motorola Droid X owners who have are dealing with a multitude of issues brought upon them by the Gingerbread update and it appears that those issues are the cause of the delay for the other Droid devices. If true, this means that we could be a few weeks away from an official Gingerbread roll out to these three devices. Certainly a far cry from the days when we thought Gingerbread had arrived for the Droid 2 Global and Droid Pro.

It might even be months depending on how severe the issues are and judging by the outpouring of frustration concerning the Droid X Gingerbread update, the bugs are probably pretty bad.

A difficult situation to be sure but kudos to Verizon for not bringing more trouble to Droid owners by putting out a piece of software that evidently is not ready for the big time.

0 Likes
mrjko

I have been having signal issues with my Droid x2.  I got the device on Saturday, Aug 20.  It worked just fine at the store but when I got it home that's when issues started.  It went from 1X to 3G to nothing.  I rebooted the phone and it still went form 1X to 3G to nothing. It kept jumping back and forth.  I finally factory reset it (three times). 

Anyone know what's going on?

0 Likes
dsikes
I don't have a solution ... I have the same issue on the dinc2 and I had it on the fascinate now Verizon is giving me the x2 in hopes that fixes the problem... I doubt it will but we will see... I live in Augusta the local store reps say that a 4g phone could solve my issue but Verizon is still not considering that as a solution... How many different phones have you been through?
0 Likes